Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Black Swan wrote: »
    Flexible? So if Donald Trump contradicts himself between what he says yesterday and today, then that's OK, but he can label his past opponent Ted Cruz as "Lying Ted" for when Cruz was in like manner being "flexible," but Donald Trump's flexibility does not justify him being called "Lying Donald?"

Or like on his 1st TV appearance with Pence last night he said that Pence voting in support of the Iraq invasion was ok because "everyone is allowed to make mistakes" but the same doesn't apply to Clinton , "just because"..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

TheDoctor wrote: »
    First day of the RNC convention. Could be a fun few days.
    If you're looking for a fun take on Donald Trump or the Republican convention in Columbus Ohio, check-out comedic Seph Meyers and his Closer Look. He has done humourous segments on Trump University, Trump's Fake Publicist Charade, Trump's Plan to Ban Muslims, Trump's Abortion Comments, Violence Erupts at Trump Rallies, Trump Plans to Reinvent Himself, and many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Those really into this and paying close attention will find the entire week fascinating no doubt. But ultimately what matters coming out of this is his acceptance speech and whether it lays out a reasonable electoral platform in a coherant and well delivered fashion. If he gets that wrong he'll be lampooned endlessly and driven into an early ditch all before Clinton gets her post convention bounce.

Can't wait to see how he gets on to be honest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Black Swan wrote: »
    Trump continues to call his presidential opponent Clinton "Corrupt Hillary," when Hillary Clinton is not currently being tried in US District Court for (alleged) "Fraud, racketeering, and corruption." These charges against Donald Trump had been filed back in 2013 and before, way before he declared his run for 2016 presidency during Summer 2015. So they cannot be flung aside as politically motivated, rather two similar cases with Donald Trump as a defendant are being tried in 2 different states, California and New York against Trump University's founder Donald Trump. That's why whenever I hear Donald Trump say "Corrupt Hillary," I remember that Donald Trump is TODAY being tried for CORRUPTION, not Hillary Clinton.
    Of course she’s crooked and corrupt, and her lies and deception extends in throughout her personal, professional, and political life. She continually lies without any regret whatsoever, displays an indifference to protecting national security because of her paranoia, and had exploited our foreign policy and diplomatic process for her personal gain while Secretary of State. She is both morally and professionally unfit to be president, and would have been indicted... if not for her being too big to prosecute.

Little attention has been given by our lovely media regarding Representative Trey Gowdy’s questioning of FBI director James Comey at a House hearing, in regards to him not recommending prosecution of Clinton after laying out a strong reasoning why she should be prosecuted.

The most telling exchange which shows Comey acted cowardly by letting Clinton off the hook:

Gowdy: Clinton said she never sent or received any classified information over her private email. Not true?

Comey: Right.

Gowdy: Clinton said there was nothing marked classified on her emails. .  .  . Was that true?

Comey: That's not true.

Gowdy: Clinton said [she] didn't email any classified material to anyone. .  .  . True?

Comey: There was classified material emailed.

Gowdy: [She] said that she used just one device. True?

Comey: She used multiple devices.

Gowdy: [She] said all work-related emails were returned to the State Department. True?

Comey: No.

Gowdy: [She] said neither she nor anyone else deleted work-related emails. .  .  . True?

Comey: That's a harder one to answer. We found traces of work-related emails. .  .  . Whether they were deleted .  .  . or something happened to them, there's no doubt that there were work-related emails .  .  . removed electronically from the email system. [Translation: not true.]

Gowdy: [She] said her lawyers read every one of the emails [individually before deleting any of them]. True?

Gowdy: False, exculpatory statements—they are used for what?

Comey: Either for the substantive prosecution or for evidence of intent in a criminal prosecution?

Gowdy: Exactly. Intent and consciousness of guilt, right?

Any other State Department official who did this would be facing criminal prosecution.

God help all those on the Clinton enemies list if she becomes president... and all the rest of us, for that matter.

Can you imagine the firestorm if it were a Republican having done one-tenth of the suspect things that Clinton did as SoS? There wouldn't be enough pitchforks and torches in all of the states to meet the demands of our media and the Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Amerika wrote: »
    Of course she’s crooked and corrupt, and her lies and deception extends in throughout her personal, professional, and political life. She continually lies without any regret whatsoever, displays an indifference to protecting national security because of her paranoia, and had exploited our foreign policy and diplomatic process for her personal gain while Secretary of State. She is both morally and professionally unfit to be president, and would have been indicted... if not for her being too big to prosecute.

Little attention has been given by our lovely media regarding Representative Trey Gowdy’s questioning of FBI director James Comey at a House hearing, in regards to him not recommending prosecution of Clinton after laying out a strong reasoning why she should be prosecuted.

The most telling exchange which shows Comey acted cowardly by letting Clinton off the hook:

Gowdy: Clinton said she never sent or received any classified information over her private email. Not true?

Gowdy: Clinton said there was nothing marked classified on her emails. .  .  . Was that true?

Comey: That's not true.

Gowdy: Clinton said [she] didn't email any classified material to anyone. .  .  . True?

Comey: There was classified material emailed.

Gowdy: [She] said that she used just one device. True?

Comey: She used multiple devices.

Gowdy: [She] said all work-related emails were returned to the State Department. True?

Gowdy: [She] said neither she nor anyone else deleted work-related emails. .  .  . True?

Comey: That's a harder one to answer. We found traces of work-related emails. .  .  . Whether they were deleted .  .  . or something happened to them, there's no doubt that there were work-related emails .  .  . removed electronically from the email system. [Translation: not true.]

Gowdy: [She] said her lawyers read every one of the emails [individually before deleting any of them]. True?

Gowdy: False, exculpatory statements—they are used for what?

Comey: Either for the substantive prosecution or for evidence of intent in a criminal prosecution?

Gowdy: Exactly. Intent and consciousness of guilt, right?

Any other State Department official who did this would be facing criminal prosecution.

God help all those on the Clinton enemies list if she becomes president... and all the rest of us, for that matter.

Can you imagine the firestorm if it were a Republican having done one-tenth of the suspect things that Clinton did as SoS? There wouldn't be enough pitchforks and torches in all of the states to meet the demands of our media and the Democrats.

But..but...but..but Trump University

• Advertisement

LOL :)

Bet most here never heard about Laureate Education (aka Clinton University) and its ties to the Clintons? Laureate is a for-profit online college that, along with its affiliates, received an unusually large amount of money (about $55 million) from the U.S. State Department under Secretary of State Clinton and while Bill Clinton was a "honorary chancellor," a position which Laureate reportedly paid him approximately $16.5 million over five years.

Let me guess… Nothing to see here, please move along? And keep repeating after me... Trump University - Trump University - Trump University? ;)

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-25/author-alleges-bill-clinton-just-quit-education-company-because-of-clinton-cash-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Of course she’s crooked and corrupt, and her lies and deception extends in throughout her personal, professional, and political life. She continually lies without any regret whatsoever

I like this statement , despite claiming Clinton has been lying all her life the only example offered is the email one

BoatMad wrote: »
    I like this statement , despite claiming Clinton has been lying all her life the only example offered is the email one

Well, there sure were a whole lot of lies told by her involving the email scandal, wouldn't you agree?

Also, remember when she was under sniper fire in Bosnia, and it was a online video that was responsible for the attack on Benghazi?

And here's hundreds more if you're so inclined to read them...

http://conservativeamerican.org/the-hillary-clinton-lies-list/

a rabid mis-collection of half truths , out of context text and right wing nonsense

a rabid mis-collection of half truths , out of context text and right wing nonsense
    You mean to tell me she actually was under sniper fire in Bosnia, that it was an online video responsible for the attack on Benghazi, that she didn’t know her brothers were being paid to help get pardons that Bill Clinton granted, and that taking the White House gifts was in fact just a ‘clerical error?’ Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Raise the standard of posting please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well, there sure were a whole lot of lies told by her involving the email scandal, wouldn't you agree?

Also, remember when she was under sniper fire in Bosnia, and it was a online video that was responsible for the attack on Benghazi?

I got to number 8 and hadn't found a definite case of Clinton lying. There are plenty of accusations and no substance that I can see. I'll keep on reading, despite the source.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Here's a shining example on the list of "lies"
    Hillary Blasts Stay-at-Home Moms!!
    1992 – Remember this one? “She has never exactly said, “I’m not a crook.” Though she has certainly slipped up with… other maladroit pronunciamentos, from her famous 1992 boast, “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies…” An obvious slam on the hard working women who take pride in being stay at home Moms, who raise strong kids, and from time to time, bake cookies. Contrary to Hillary’s belief, it does not take a village to raise a child. It takes an impressive stay-at-home Mom

How is this a lie by Clinton? It's a wild misinterpretation of what she said.

The list should be called "I hate Hilary Clinton"

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I got to number 8 and hadn't found a definite case of Clinton lying. There are plenty of accusations and no substance that I can see. I'll keep on reading, despite the source.

Agreed some require adding 1 + 1 together, and using common sense. But it does show a historical trend of lies and distortion of the truth, which is what I was showing in response to a comment.

And remember when the Clinton's were 'dead broke' after leaving the White House? ;)

Agreed some require adding 1 + 1 together, and using common sense. But it does show a historical trend of lies and distortion of the truth, which is what I was showing in response to a comment.

And remember when the Clinton's were 'dead broke' after leaving the White House? ;)

But it's not putting 1+1 together. The only distortion I can see are the list writers. I am no Hilary fan, I'm dismissing this source outright though.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wait, so you're telling us that all of the other people who were involved in these emails are facing criminal prosecution??

It's like the "people who knew the Clintons that died" nonsense. We really are well beyond the point of self parody (that was achieved by the term 'islamofascist communazi' for those keeping tabs) at this stage when it comes to the rampant paranoia of the Republican party base. I don't mean that as an insult either, it's just the genuine truth - if you made a satirical movie or TV show or whatnot in the 80s or early 90s with this kind of stuff, it would have tanked for being too unrealistic and ham-fisted.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wait, so you're telling us that all of the other people who were involved in these emails are facing criminal prosecution??

Apparently I need to amend that to exclude Hillary’s staff, such as Cheryl Mills, Jake Sullivan and Huma Abedin… although I shouldn’t have to. And I don't see how any of them can get security clearances going forward, although I doubt they will have any problems, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Here is a link to watch the Republican Convention live if anyone is interested.

Today’s list of speakers at the GOP convention include Ruddy Giuliani - former mayor of New York City, Melania Trump - wife of Donald Trump, Michael Flynn - retired Army lieutenant general, Joni Ernst - senator from Iowa, Jason Beardsley - Concerned Veterans for America, and Ryan Zinke - representative of Montana.

I look forward to seeing Giuliani, Melania, Flynn and Ernst. I could see Trump appointing Giuliani as Director of Homeland Security and Flynn becoming Secretary of Defense. Ernst is great to listen to, and Melania is very articulate. Kasich is making a big mistake not attending the convention. He might be blowing his chances for a nice top administration spot and to do bigger things, if he continues with the Trump snub. I thought Kasich was smarter than that.

• Advertisement

I thought Kasich was smarter than that.
    I'm guessing he a) actually has principles (might explain his bipartisan popularity), or b) he realises that if Trump wins, everyone in his administration runs a high change of poisoning their political careers within it. Kind of like some of the BushCo guys, but to a much greater extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Great videos from outside the centre in Cleveland. Some police presence as expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Kasich is making a big mistake not attending the convention. He might be blowing his chances for a nice top administration spot and to do bigger things, if he continues with the Trump snub. I thought Kasich was smarter than that.

Kasich is smarter than that :) everybody knows that Trump is going nowhere and is toxic and to be associated with him after this circus is over will not be good for anybody. Trump is struggling to actually get decent speakers as no one wants to be associated with him apart for GOP members who HAVE to turn up eg Paul Ryan, Mitch mconnell etc. When you have to get 5 members of your own family to fill speaking spots things are bad....

Also after all the personal insults trump was throwing around like a 12 year old school ground bully during the prelims he hasn't many friends left to say what a great guy he is.

(ps

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

See below as a rebuttal of sorts...

141 Things Donald Trump Has Said and Done That Make Him Unfit to Be President

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Okay. Slate is on par with the conservativeamerican in bias of reporting against those they dislike. Two peas in a pod, IMO.

Both candidates in any normal election would be labeled unqualified, but this isn’t a normal election. I’m not a big fan of Trump myself, but I’ll vote for him over Hillary Clinton. Both candidates this election are deeply flawed. What choices we’ve got… an egotistical blowhard and a crooked liar.

I’m going with the one that hasn’t jeopardized national security for personal gain.

I’m going with the one that hasn’t jeopardized national security for personal gain.

its shows the priorities of people that value so called " national security " over proper healthcare, affordable schooling, proper tax structures . social mobility etc

its shows the priorities of people that value so called " national security " over proper healthcare, affordable schooling, proper tax structures . social mobility etc

To be honest, it's very transparent - "let's vote for the guy who wants to radicalise the entire middle east through bombing and torture of innocents, who wants to agitate for war with Mexico, who openly advocates violence, who has absolutely no experience in governance or militarily, and who has a history of creating conflict almost everywhere he goes... in the interest of national security. Of course, of course. Nothing to do that 'R' beside his name being the entire beginning and end of whether I would decide to vote for him or not."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I fail to see how consistent violation of law and lying about it are hallmarks of a worthy leader. Perhaps you feel that such actions are pardonable in pursuit of policies that you support.

Nixon was a pretty decent President after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Here's a shining example on the list of "lies"

How is this a lie by Clinton? It's a wild misinterpretation of what she said.

The list should be called "I hate Hilary Clinton"

Both sides have been alleging that Trump & Hillary are habitual liars. You can't claim only one side namely the Trump supporters are a bunch of liars which is the impression given.

• Advertisement

I fail to see how consistent violation of law and lying about it are hallmarks of a worthy leader. Perhaps you feel that such actions are pardonable in pursuit of policies that you support.

Nixon was a pretty decent President after all...

where one to apply the exact strictures of the law to any president of the USA, I suspect that in secret or in public all are law breakers of one kind or another ( or maybe the secret kind doesnt count huh )

IN reality all our " leaders " are flawed , only the USA seems to insist some how that the leaders must publicly be whiter then white virginal types, ( when in reality they are just even bigger shysters behind the scenes , but thats all right )

The public virtues , private vices stuff has now reached nonsense levels

personally Im looking for an experienced leaders with a known stable policy perspective

Trump has none of these qualities , Hilary has " some " , both are flawed

In most cases however the devil you know is better then the devil you dont

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement