Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Laura Ingraham: Perhaps her speech was better in the original German?

http://giphy.com/gifs/election2016-rnc-election-2016-republican-national-convention-l0Hlvh1us2dpuNglO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Brian? wrote: »
    Honest question. Why is it a wonderful thing that Laura's mother had the same coat for 40 years in order to save for her education? Why was it great that her mother worked until she was 73 instead of retiring? I have the utmost respect for hard working people, but doesn't this tell you how badly the system is rigged against workers?

I can only guess about the coat, but I think it has to do with a depression era mentality. You wore clothes until you couldn’t wear them anymore. And you didn’t buy things if you didn’t have to money to get them. My grandfather had a denim work coat he got in the early 1930’s and wore it until the day he passed away in the 70’s. Then I wore it until the 90’s when I was offered $100 for it. He never spent money on anything he didn’t need. As for working until 73, I assume it was because she felt the need to be a productive member of society as long as she was able to. I’m sure she didn’t need to work as Laura could have easily taken care of her financial needs early on (if mom actually had any) with no problem. I have the same mentality. I will work as long as I am able to, even if I don’t need to. I see far too many people die a few short years after retiring here, especially men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Amerika wrote: »
    I watch the GOP convention on CSPAN because I don’t want to hear the pundits tell me what I’ve seen. What drama last night! Laura Ingraham was freakin’ awesome, and the highlight of the night… until Cruz took the stage.

Donald Trump said he didn’t want a boring convention, and he got his wish Wednesday. The highlights were Ingraham, Pence, and Cruz. Cruz started off well enough, but when it became apparent at the end of his speech that he wasn’t going to endorse Trump, it was painful to watch. It brought visions to me of the final scene in Planet of the Apes and the line ‘Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!’ directed at Ted. Cruz set his political ambitions back a few decades IMO with that speech... good thing he's still popular in Texas. The spontaneous booing from the crowd wasn’t orchestrated… it was organic for anyone watching live. And it was almost heartbreaking to watch Cruz when even he realized he lost the crowd and was sinking fast. What Cruz did seemed to solidify support for Trump on the floor in one fell swoop. In retrospect, I think Trump couldn’t have wished for Cruz to do anything other than what he did. It made Trump seem presidential and Cruz petty.

This morning I read an article that I think best describes, better than any other I’ve read before, the mood of the populous in this election… A mood of the voters that gives Trump a better than good shot at winning it all.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/20/donald-trump-is-right-about-one-thing-our-experts-know-nothing/

Ehhhhh, what the hell did she do at the end there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Gintonious wrote: »

Let her fascist beliefs take over momentarily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I watch the GOP convention on CSPAN because I don’t want to hear the pundits tell me what I’ve seen. What drama last night! Laura Ingraham was freakin’ awesome, and the highlight of the night… until Cruz took the stage.

Donald Trump said he didn’t want a boring convention, and he got his wish Wednesday. The highlights were Ingraham, Pence, and Cruz. Cruz started off well enough, but when it became apparent at the end of his speech that he wasn’t going to endorse Trump, it was painful to watch. It brought visions to me of the final scene in Planet of the Apes and the line ‘Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!’ directed at Ted. Cruz set his political ambitions back a few decades IMO with that speech... good thing he's still popular in Texas. The spontaneous booing from the crowd wasn’t orchestrated… it was organic for anyone watching live. And it was almost heartbreaking to watch Cruz when even he realized he lost the crowd and was sinking fast. What Cruz did seemed to solidify support for Trump on the floor in one fell swoop. In retrospect, I think Trump couldn’t have wished for Cruz to do anything other than what he did. It made Trump seem presidential and Cruz petty.

This morning I read an article that I think best describes, better than any other I’ve read before, the mood of the populous in this election… A mood of the voters that gives Trump a better than good shot at winning it all.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/20/donald-trump-is-right-about-one-thing-our-experts-know-nothing/

Good post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

College degree fraud is a serious problem in America. People fraudulently claim to have medical, engineering, etc., degrees from American or foreign universities in an attempt to qualify and compete for high paying positions across the country. Would potential First Lady Melania Trump claim to have a university degree, when in fact she did not? Or was she a college dropout after one year, and now claims to be a graduate?
    2016 GOP Convention Program Announced
    Prime-Time Speakers
    Monday: Make America Safe Again
    Headliners: Melania Trump...

Melania Trump, Businesswoman and Wife of Donald Trump
    Melania married Donald Trump in January 2005. In March 2006 they had their first child, Barron William Trump. Born on April 26, 1970 in Slovenia, Melania Knauss began her modeling career at the age of sixteen. At the age of eighteen, she signed with a modeling agency in Milan. After obtaining a degree in design and architecture at University in Slovenia, Melania was jetting between photo shoots in Paris and Milan, finally settling in New York in 1996...
    Melania Trump: Biography (from her website)

Born on April 26, 1970 in Slovenia, Melania Knauss began her modeling career at the age of sixteen. At the age of eighteen, she signed with a modeling agency in Milan. After obtaining a degree in design and architecture at University in Slovenia...

Maybe Melania didn't get her degree from Slovenia as she claims in her website biography, rather got a degree from Trump University founded by Donald Trump in 2005 and defunct 2010, the same so-called "university" where Donald Trump is currently a defendant in US District Court for (alleged) "Fraud, racketeering, and corruption?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ebbsy wrote: »
    Good post
    By a guy (Ginsberg) that complains about not being able to get an engineering job, so he became a lawyer.

And decries criticism of corporate America. Dude is out of touch like the rest of the borderline-wingnuts @thefederalist.com

Just another sneering Teabagger convinced of his brilliance. Wonder why his Ivy League degree in engineering couldn't get him a job...hmm....

One of his deflections is, "How many Doctors wrote Obamacare." Teabaggers can't get over Obamacare. Well, how many wrote Medicare? And, why does it matter if it works (which both do.)

The reason the Republicans are going to be destroyed in the election in November is that they offer nothing - just 'don't change anything! Repeal Obamacare!' Nothing for jobs, trade, infrastructure. Just soundbites for Fox News, which too may change with Ailes getting the boot.

Might be time a 3rd party shows up that actually amounts to something in the US, picking up the scraps from the Republican nuclear dumpster fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Gintonious wrote: »

It was a bit odd, think she was trying to point and wave at the same time and realised how it looked.

Or for the other people here she was pointing at Clinton's email but they weren't there because she deleted them. So Clinton eh?

Igotadose wrote: »
    By a guy (Ginsberg) that complains about not being able to get an engineering job, so he became a lawyer.

And decries criticism of corporate America. Dude is out of touch like the rest of the borderline-wingnuts @thefederalist.com

Just another sneering Teabagger convinced of his brilliance. Wonder why his Ivy League degree in engineering couldn't get him a job...hmm....

One of his deflections is, "How many Doctors wrote Obamacare." Teabaggers can't get over Obamacare. Well, how many wrote Medicare? And, why does it matter if it works (which both do.)

The reason the Republicans are going to be destroyed in the election in November is that they offer nothing - just 'don't change anything! Repeal Obamacare!' Nothing for jobs, trade, infrastructure. Just soundbites for Fox News, which too may change with Ailes getting the boot.

Might be time a 3rd party shows up that actually amounts to something in the US, picking up the scraps from the Republican nuclear dumpster fire.
    The answer to your questions, nor your observations, matter one iota in the big scheme of things. The author correctly describes the mood of the majority of average Americans, and gives reasonings for them that resonate with the people, IMO.

I heard the same type of things about Republicans before the 2010 election... that the party can never recover. Result was a GOP takeover of the House of Reps. I heard the same type of thing about Republicans before the 2014 election... that they had no chance of taking the Senate. Result was a GOP takeover of the Senate.

Methinks reports of the GOP demise are greatly exaggerated.

And a third party rise is just a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Lirange

Black Swan wrote: »
    Furthermore, Ted Cruz is very strong in Texas and Oklahoma, and his lack of support for Donald Trump may be a subtle attempt to influence the voters in those two states for Trump to lose? Odds are no matter what Ted Cruz does, Texas will probably vote Republican again; but this is an odd election year, and there are sizable voter demographic blocks of Blacks and Mexican-ancestry Texans, and if many non-minority Texan Republicans do not identify with culturally different New Yorker Trump, the latter voting segment may stay at home, who knows? Stranger things have happened in 2016, like a nominatee having ZERO experience in governance, diplomacy, and preparation for CIC now running for the highest office in the nation for all these 3 functions.

Texas is one of those states that on the surface looks like it should be one of the so called purple states based on it's demos. However, a larger pct of it's Hispanic population, particularly those settled in Texas for more than a generation are so called Tejanos, of which many are actually of primarily European ancestry (the neighbouring northern rural ranching states of Mexico traditionally have had the largest "white" populations" in MX). And as you know the political divisions in the US are largely split along racial moreso than cultural lines. Unsurprisingly a somewhat larger share of Hispanics in Texas are consequently more conservative and are more likely to vote Republican than in states like California. This is being counterbalanced by more recent immigrants the last couple decades with a decidedly more brown tint of skin colour. But it's a different political set up than in California for Hispanics. Tejano Director Robert Rodriguez, though not a conservative himself, has described growing up in a republican voting conservative family. That there was a tendency to distinguish themselves from mestizo/amerindian Spanish speakers. And many "white" Hispanics in Texas are as ardently against immigration as their white Texas brethren. It's not wholly dissimilar to Cuban political tendencies in Florida.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I
    This morning I read an article that I think best describes, better than any other I ve read before, the mood of the populous in this election A mood of the voters that gives Trump a better than good shot at winning it all.

Just quickly scanned through that piece and this made me groan....

"There is perhaps nothing more galling to someone who sweated away in the engineering library for most of his academic career than to hear politicians lecture others on what science supposedly says. Meanwhile, the elites reliance on science has put thousands of coal miners out of work, done nothing to support the fracking industry"

Godam science, what has science ever done for the world..........

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Igotadose wrote: »
    Laura Ingraham: Perhaps her speech was better in the original German?

http://giphy.com/gifs/election2016-rnc-election-2016-republican-national-convention-l0Hlvh1us2dpuNglO

I could post a bunch of pictures of Hillary Clinton that appear to give the same salute, but won't stoop to that level. Ingraham and the pictures of Clinton I'm referring to were merely waves and acknowledgements to their audiences. That is clear. Unless, that is, you have a puerile mind that goes directly to Hitler to bash the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It was a bit odd, think she was trying to point and wave at the same time and realised how it looked.

Or for the other people here she was pointing at Clinton's email but they weren't there because she deleted them. So Clinton eh?

Funny how you get more right-wing as you get older!

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Just quickly scanned through that piece and this made me groan....

"There is perhaps nothing more galling to someone who sweated away in the engineering library for most of his academic career than to hear politicians lecture others on what science supposedly says. Meanwhile, the elites reliance on science has put thousands of coal miners out of work, done nothing to support the fracking industry"

Godam science, what has science ever done for the world..........
    You forgot to quote "science" both times, which indicates the author was making a mockery of the fact that political elites make decisions that negatively affect us all based on suspect science. As a example... all valid studies show fracking is safe, but they find the obscure study or two that says it isn't safe to serve as the basis to try and regulate it out of existence. "Science" to many the political elites here is often little more than biased opinions with suspect supporting facts... that supports political agendas and ideals to appease the far left (and sometimes right) of their base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,480 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You forgot to quote "science" both times, which indicates the author was making a mockery of the fact that political elites make decisions that negatively affect us all based on suspect science. As a example... all valid studies show fracking is safe, but they find the obscure study or two that says it isn't safe to serve as the basis to try and regulate it out of existence. "Science" to many the political elites here is often little more than biased opinions with suspect supporting facts... that supports political agendas and ideals to appease the far left (and sometimes right) of their base.
    Even if fracking was 'safe' the fact that it allows us to continue our reliance on cheap fossil fuels makes it incredibly dangerous. The environmental effects of fracking are local, like the effects of coal mining or tar sands, but the global effect of continuing to extract and burn sequestered carbon is guaranteed to be a nightmare of biblical proportions unless we transition to a carbon neutral economy within the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

A bit upthread I posted a link to the New Yorker piece about Tony Schwartz, the guilt-ridden ghostwriter of Trump's famous book The Art of the Deal speaking out about his experience of Trump. If any of you read it (and if you didn’t, you should, it's worth it!), then read this now: Trump’s lawyer trying to shut down Schwartz, and his lawyer’s response.

The article: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

The legal intimidation: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/donald-trump-threatens-the-ghostwriter-of-the-art-of-the-deal?mbid=nl_TNY%20Template%20-%20With%20Photo%20(72)&CNDID=33652143&spMailingID=9237113&spUserID=MTA5MjQwODQxNzUxS0&spJobID=961697543&spReportId=OTYxNjk3NTQzS0

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Cinton just ran a pretty devastating commercial during the Republican convention coverage:

Also airing in battleground states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

god damn she'll win on her logo alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cinton just ran a pretty devastating commercial during the Republican convention coverage:

That is an excellent ad - I don't know that many people will vote for Clinton, but most will vote against Trump. Even Republicans cant stomach him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its been showing frequently here in Seattle too, a democratic stronghold, so they're not skimping on spending the $$'s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sand wrote: »
    That is an excellent ad - I don't know that many people will vote for Clinton, but most will vote against Trump. Even Republicans cant stomach him.

Washington State will certainly go for Hillary. I'm seeing bumper stickers and signs popping up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hillary spent many millions in Florida compared to very little by Trump.

Result: Hillary lost support according to polls and Trump gained support.

Film maker Michael Moore believes Trump will be president.

Some never Trump delegates are going to endorse Libertarian Gary Johnson.

I think they forgot to check some of his policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Wage gap, bathrooms, and affordable childcare? Was there a coup I wasn't aware of? Next they'll be saying they need to take in more immigrants and that anyone should be allowed to get married.

Trump is winning this election.

Very strong performance by Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

RNC Trump speech summary: Isolationism, protectionism, nationalism, environmental deregulation including more hydrocarbon emissions (coal), law and order, expanding the world's biggest military budget further, and an obviously larger federal government to make all these changes, as well as to maintain them, without any specific plans on who, what, where, or how all these things will be planned, funded, implemented, or evaluated other than he will convene a panel of experts to recommend changes to law & order, and to stack the US Supreme Court with Republican conservatives.

Black Swan wrote: »
    RNC Trump speech summary: Isolationism, protectionism, nationalism, environmental deregulation including more hydrocarbon emissions (coal), law and order, expanding the world's biggest military budget further, and an obviously larger federal government to make all these changes, as well as to maintain them, without any specific plans on who, what, where, or how all these things will be planned, funded, implemented, or evaluated other than he will convene a panel of experts to recommend changes to law & order, and to stack the US Supreme Court with Republican conservatives.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Only caught the very end of Trump's speech after coming home from my second job. But what I heard I liked. A lot of reports coming in that it was received very well. Seems to have brought a number of independentsinto his corner. He has impressed me this week and has gained my support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

In decades of watching politics I have never seen anything like this. Trump has found a new lowest common denominator and reduced political debate to mindless sloganeering. He simply shouts, for the most part inaccurately, in something approximating to sound bites. What is truly depressing is that he has so much support, is taken seriously, and may be the next president. A narrow-minded, bigoted internet troll made real. Astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Specific Irish point here.

Did I hear somewhere that Trump wants to get rid of the J1 and instead employ inner city kids to do the jobs that J1ers usually do.

How is that going to fly with the media here.
    Trump the biggoted racist, giving jobs to inner city, mostly ethnic I'd imagine, kids over middle class kids from Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Very uninspiring speech. Lots of shouting and roaring and little substance.

Also spoke very slow in parts, nearly dozed off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement