Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ballybunion Tom

Trump is going to have a hard time because the democrats have the press and more of a vote getting system. They have been coveting black vote and anyone who has been getting something for nothing for years. But If he can keep the people who have been quiet for too long .... active and get them to the poles! May be closer that you think. Its all aboau jobs, jobs.jobs. And on the front the Dems have had 8 years and shown nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Clearly you do not understand what a PAC is, in spite of my attempt to explain. So I will leave it there.

Two peas in the same pod.

Have PP come out against them using the Planned Parenthood name as part of their name?

Politilact says they are affiliates of Planned Parenthood.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/05/carly-fiorina/carly-fiorina-says-planned-parenthood-gives-millio/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Its all aboau jobs, jobs.jobs. And on the front the Dems have had 8 years and shown nothing.

...apart from bringing the unemployment rate from 10% to 5.5%.

It's amazing how a political campaign can be based entirely on lies, once your supporters have decided that they're prepared to believe anything you tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

RobertKK wrote: »
    Two peas in the same pod.

Have PP come out against them using the Planned Parenthood name as part of their name?

Politilact says they are affiliates of Planned Parenthood.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/05/carly-fiorina/carly-fiorina-says-planned-parenthood-gives-millio/

Yes, they are affiliated, but they are separate entities. The vast majority of PACs are what are called "connected PACs". There is nothing dodgy to see here. Please read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_action_committee

Yes, they are affiliated, but they are separate entities. The vast majority of PACs are what are called "connected PACs". There is nothing dodgy to see here. Please read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_action_committee

I never said there was anything dodgy, but are still two peas in the one pod, separate entities but connected, which is the point I made.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...apart from bringing the unemployment rate from 10% to 5.5%.

It's amazing how a political campaign can be based entirely on lies, once your supporters have decided that they're prepared to believe anything you tell them.

A record number have left the workforce which is the biggest help to lowering unemployment.

There are more job openings available in America today than at any point since the Bureau of Labor Statistics first started tracking vacancy data back in December 2000. Yet the percentage of adult Americans working or actively looking for a job stands at 62.6 percent, the lowest level in nearly four decades.

For much more detail
    http://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2015/07/16/unemployment-is-low-but-more-workers-are-leaving-the-workforce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

There's nothing dodgy to see here because they're funding a Democratic candidate. As soon as a Republican candidate receives funding from a PAC though he's "bought and paid for".

I never said there was anything dodgy, but are still two peas in the one pod, separate entities but connected, which is the point I made.

Oh, right . . .
    You can try and separate them all you like...it doesn't add up.

A record number have left the workforce which is the biggest help to lowering unemployment.

I was responding to the assertion that it's all about jobs, jobs, jobs and that nothing has been done on that front for eight years.

Now you want to talk about people voluntarily leaving the workforce.

So, which is it?

I was responding to the assertion that it's all about jobs, jobs, jobs and that nothing has been done on that front for eight years.

Now you want to talk about people voluntarily leaving the workforce.

So, which is it?

I just thought your statement of "..apart from bringing the unemployment rate from 10% to 5.5%" was a very simple statement with no context as to the reasons behind it.

• Advertisement

Oh, right . . .

Two peas in a pod...is still a valid point.

DNC chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz will step down after the convention.
    She only had to deal with a handful of candidates and made a right mess of it.
    Meanwhile Reince Priebus had to deal with major turbulence in the Republican party and managed to come out of it intact.

With the RNC done and dusted we should start seeing polls consistently showing Trump leading during the week. I don't expect that to last long though. With Kaine announced as VP, Michael Bloomberg set to endorse Clinton and the DNC kicking off tomorrow I expect Clinton to be back leading in the polls within two weeks and staying there for the rest of the race.

Check out Trump's new political ad on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/757012114460569604

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What a weird ad

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is there supposed to be a message there other than the standard Trump Narcissism?

Seriously - What is the point being made there beyond Trump saying "They love me , they really love me!"..

The RNC candidate getting lots of applause at an RNC event isn't exactly something worthy of note...or is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be a message there other than the standard Trump Narcissism?

Seriously - What is the point being made there beyond Trump saying "They love me , they really love me!"..

The RNC candidate getting lots of applause at an RNC event isn't exactly something worthy of note...or is it?

Well he has attracted a lot of new supporters who wouldn't frequently vote GOP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's very very strange.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Well he has attracted a lot of new supporters who wouldn't frequently vote GOP.

Has he? I haven't seen him poll well with democrats or independents anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Christy42 wrote: »
    Has he? I haven't seen him poll well with democrats or independents anywhere.

A lot of returning veterans disillusioned with the est parties have moved in his direction. With third party candidates ruled out he seems like the best on offer. Nobody seriously believes Jill Stein or David Duke are going to become President and as for the Libertarians if anyone deserves Trump as leader they do seeing as they were perfectly fine with letting banks collapse back in 08.

• Advertisement

I just thought your statement of "..apart from bringing the unemployment rate from 10% to 5.5%" was a very simple statement with no context as to the reasons behind it.
    The person I was replying to claimed that the Democrats did nothing about "jobs, jobs, jobs" for eight years. The article you posted makes the point that the "U.S. economy has created 11.5 million new jobs during the last 57 consecutive months of domestic labor force expansion."

If you're trying to reinforce the slack-jawed claim that somehow no jobs have been created for the last eight years, you'll have to try harder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Kaine used a lot of Spanish in his speech yesterday, seems to have annoyed FOX
    The Hispanic voter segment is quite large in Florida, and consequently Kaine speaking Spanish was an asset to their ticket. Furthermore, Spanish is becoming the 2nd language in America, where automated corporate phone answering systems give their customers a choice between English and Spanish in many of the 50 states. Can Trump or Pence speak Spanish?

The person I was replying to claimed that the Democrats did nothing about "jobs, jobs, jobs" for eight years. The article you posted makes the point that the "U.S. economy has created 11.5 million new jobs during the last 57 consecutive months of domestic labor force expansion."

If you're trying to reinforce the slack-jawed claim that somehow no jobs have been created for the last eight years, you'll have to try harder.

I am not saying no jobs were created, but I am saying there are two different events lowering unemployment.
    It is not good for an economy to have lower and lower participation in the workforce.
    So some of those jobs created are from people leaving the workforce rather than becoming unemployed.
    So while employment numbers are going up, there are jobs being created from people leaving in some cases rather than being new new jobs.
    This leading to less and less of the public looking for work.

According to the US government site on labour:
    In January 2009: 154.2 million in the labour force, 142.1 million employed, 12 million unemployed, unemployment rate 7.8%
    June 2016: 158.8 million in the labour force, 151 million employed, 7.8 million unemployed, unemployment rate 4.9%
    US population 2009: 307 million
    US population 2016: 323 million

So population rose by 16 million, but workforce only rose by 4.6 million in that time. Unemployment down 4.2 million people.
    The figures are not all that great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Many Trump voters BELIEVE everything that comes out of Donald Trump's MOUTH, including his RNC speech, as if it were gospel from The Prophet, not to be challenged by contrary objective evidence (e.g., millions of jobs created since the GW Bush administration Great Recession, the Dow Industrial average climbing from a low of below 7,000 in 2008 to 18,500 today, or the decline in murders in recent years, or the net loss of illegal immigrants with more leaving than staying in recent years). Donald Trump's main strategy has been fear-mongering based upon unsubstantiated and whimsical claims, then offering himself as the Great White Hope to his predominately White male voter segment. During his RNC speech he proclaimed that all Americans would be safe effective 20 January 2017, as if all it took was to swear him in and magically all problems of security would go up in smoke that day (smoke and mirrors like the bloke behind the curtain in Oz).

If the political cliché "It's the economy stupid" has merit, then the Democrats should retain the presidency 8 November 2016. I guess we shall see.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Many Trump voters BELIEVE everything that comes out of Donald Trump's MOUTH, including his RNC speech, as if it were gospel from The Prophet, not to be challenged by contrary objective evidence (e.g., millions of jobs created since the GW Bush administration Great Recession, the Dow Industrial average climbing from a low of below 7,000 in 2008 to 18,500 today, or the decline in murders in recent years, or the net loss of illegal immigrants with more leaving than staying in recent years). Donald Trump's main strategy has been fear-mongering based upon unsubstantiated and whimsical claims, then offering himself as the Great White Hope to his predominately White male voter segment. During his RNC speech he proclaimed that all Americans would be safe effective 20 January 2017, as if all it took was to swear him in and magically all problems of security would go up in smoke that day (smoke and mirrors like the bloke behind the curtain in Oz).

If the political cliché "It's the economy stupid" has merit, then the Democrats should retain the presidency 8 November 2016. I guess we shall see.

Quantitative easing has caused the stock markets to explode, low rates pushing money into stocks for a better return. Brexit caused an intitial shock but then it became clear that rates would not rise or if they did it would be tine maybe 0.15%, so stocks then rallied to new highs.
    It is the economic mess and the fragility of the world economy that is keeping rates at historic lows and the stock markets at record highs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

No politician, campaign, or party gets money from Planned Parenthood, the nonprofit organization that provides services for reproductive health.

Suryavarman and RobertKK, you seem to be confusing it with the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, which is a PAC (a "Non-Connected Political Action Committee"). Basically, a political fundraising mechanism by which private individuals who support the work of certain types of organizations can make donations specifically to lobby or support politicians who also support your favoured cause. Their revenue comes completely from taxable donations. Not from govt funding or, as RobertKK said, "the huge amount of money made from abortions" (ha!).

To use the example given above, it's not like Console giving money to a campaign. It's like private citizens who love Console setting up a "Friends of Console" group specifically to give political donations to candidates that support Console.

There are PACS for pretty much any cause you can think of. Totally legal and above-board.

Seriously, we're getting bogged down in the weeds on abortion. There are other important issues in this election.

Easy way to make everyone happy. Get rid of PACs and have healthcare provided by the state. Nobody could be against such a thing, right?

Quantitative easing has caused the stock markets to explode, low rates pushing money into stocks for a better return. Brexit caused an intitial shock but then it became clear that rates would not rise or if they did it would be tine maybe 0.15%, so stocks then rallied to new highs.
    It is the economic mess and the fragility of the world economy that is keeping rates at historic lows and the stock markets at record highs.
    Anyone familiar with the equity, bond, and commodity markets knows that it makes little difference if the presidency was occupied by a Democrat or Republican. Presidents don't make laws, rather Congress does, and even Congress normally has small affects on markets, where there were vast complexities both domestic and international more important overall and in the long term. But the parties will always claim that the opposing party was at fault, while if they were in power economic heaven would be reached in our Brave New World.

More DNC emails to revealed during the convention.

As part of a negotiated settlement which sees the head of the DNC step down Debbie Wasserman Schultz will speak at the convention.

Democrats are accusing Russia of being behind it, Wikileaks responded with:
    https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/757335823754887168

Clinton campaign pushing lame conspiracy smear that we are Russian agents. Last time we were Mossad. Get it right. https://archive.is/4sg1J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Bad start for the DNC convention. The DNC email leaks expose just how corrupt they are and more proof the media is in the tank for Clinton. The media won't be able to ignore all the problems but watch how quickly they move beyond thiese bombshells.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/07/detailed-list-findings-wikileaks-dnc-document-dump/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement