Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There was a mural on the wall of Lithuanian capital of Vilnius showing Donald Trump kissing Vladimir Putin in greetiing. Lithuania is one of the 3 Baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania once occupied by the Soviets. Once again Donald Trump with ZERO diplomatic experience proclaims from his political pulpit that if these NATO nations don't help pay the rent, then "Congratulations, you will be defending yourself." With the obvious expansionist policy of Putin's Russia, it's like kissing-off these small defenseless Baltic nations by Trump to Putin, as exemplified by the very sarcastic Trump-Putin kissing wall mural. Once again, diplomatically inexperienced Donald Trump opens MOUTH before engaging brain regarding a very complex issue, as he has during the 2016 presidential race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Amerika wrote: »
    Bad start for the DNC convention. The DNC email leaks expose just how corrupt they are and more proof the media is in the tank for Clinton. The media won't be able to ignore all the problems but watch how quickly they move beyond thiese bombshells.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/07/detailed-list-findings-wikileaks-dnc-document-dump/

Unless they have something very juicy, this time next week it will be forgotten about for the most part. Hilary will have all the big hitters whether political or from the entertainment world next week praising her while attacking Trump at the convention which will do her the world of good.

I think Wikileaks need to realise this election is utterly demented, and probably keep some of their supposedly more juicy stuff until the first tv debate or for absolute chaos the week before the election.

Realise it all now, and while it may cause some chaos, it will be forgotten about in 4 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Check out Trump's new political ad on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/757012114460569604
    When is Donald Trump going to grow-up when referring to his political opponents, and begin to attack them on policy substance rather than to make these childish personal attacks? Although he is now the Republican presidential nominee, he continues to tweet "Crooked Hillary" just like he tweeted "Lying Ted" earlier. Donald Trump continues to sound like a childish bully calling-out someone on a grade school playground. How immature!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hillary Clinton seems to always be in an email scandal.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Hillary Clinton seems to always be in an email scandal.
    Every time someone mentions the Hillary Email Scandal, I am reminded of the Trump foreign MP Money Raising Email Scandal. And whenever Trump proclaims "Cooked Hillary," it reminds me that Donald Trump is currently a defendant in US District Court for (alleged) "fraud, racketeering, and corruption" for the 2010 defunct Trump University he founded in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    A lot of returning veterans disillusioned with the est parties have moved in his direction. With third party candidates ruled out he seems like the best on offer. Nobody seriously believes Jill Stein or David Duke are going to become President and as for the Libertarians if anyone deserves Trump as leader they do seeing as they were perfectly fine with letting banks collapse back in 08.

Evidence?

Bad start for the DNC convention. The DNC email leaks expose just how corrupt they are and more proof the media is in the tank for Clinton. The media won't be able to ignore all the problems but watch how quickly they move beyond thiese bombshells.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/07/detailed-list-findings-wikileaks-dnc-document-dump/

Want to give me the smoking gun? A quick glance through them shows me the dnc used the phrase "no homo", the dnc planned a negative add against Trump (because Trump has campaigned so positively?) and that they have discussions with news networks (I had figured that one was true for all the main campaigns already). I feel like Hillary will survive.

If this had appeared with regards Trump it would be laughed out. I don't think there would be much point in complaining about Trump talking to a news network when we can talk about all the things he is willing to say in public. Much easier to discredit him that way.

"Ivanka Trump Treats The GOP Like QVC By Using The RNC To Sell Her Clothing Line." Ivanka Trump wares a $138 form-fitting, baby pink dress from her collection (when giving her speech) with a Republican National Convention link to sell her dress, which is now sold out. And like most of Ivanka Trump's collection, this dress was "imported," and not made in America. So much for a Trump generating jobs in America, when there was more profit to be made for Trumps by having their clothing and accessories made in less expensive China and Vietnam.

Of course Donald Trump supporters will see no problem with Donald's daughter Ivanka Trump personally enriching herself by linking and selling her dress while introducing her Da during the RNC last week. Nor will they see any problems when her Da boldly condemns corporations like Ford outsourcing and importing parts from China, while both he (Donald Trump Collection), and his daughter (Ivanka Trump Collection) personally enrich themselves by having their clothing and accessories manufactured and imported from China, Vietnam, and Mexico, and not in America. But this was just typical Trump: Don't do what I do, rather do what I say, and condemn everyone but me and Ivanka for importing and depriving Americans of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Easy way to make everyone happy. Get rid of PACs and have healthcare provided by the state. Nobody could be against such a thing, right?

I'm with ya, brother. Single-payer system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,379 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Honestly, there's nothing particularly damning in the mails released thus far. Though it won't do anything to wash away the thin film of grime that covers Clinton at this stage. She's such a dreadful candidate at the most important time.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Honestly, there's nothing particularly damning in the mails released thus far. Though it won't do anything to wash away the thin film of grime that covers Clinton at this stage. She's such a dreadful candidate at the most important time.
    Why cannot America, a prosperous land of 318 million people produce better 2016 presidential candidates than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton? And to say that one is better (or worse) than the other is a complete joke. Neither should be elected. If the American voters saw the fallacy, they should all get together and write-in the Mini-Mickey Mouse ticket.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The problem is all through the Democratic convention more details of emails are going to be released.
    It is believed a lot of apologising will be needed said the new temporary head of the DNC Donna Brazile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Black Swan wrote: »
    (Donald Trump Collection)

/shudders

Those must be the most expensive ill fitting cheapest quality suits you can get. I always think he looks like his suits look a size or 2 too big for him.

Can't believe people buy that crap.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Every time someone mentions the Hillary Email Scandal, I am reminded of the Trump foreign MP Money Raising Email Scandal. And whenever Trump proclaims "Cooked Hillary," it reminds me that Donald Trump is currently a defendant in US District Court for (alleged) "fraud, racketeering, and corruption" for the 2010 defunct Trump University he founded in 2005.

The problem for Hillary is she was called extremely careless with her official state emails.
    The one thing the Democrats didn't want was a leaked email scandal. Hillary's campaign is blaming the Russians. The thing is this is like her campaign admitting her unsecured emails with top secret information was most likely hacked too.
    So however they spin it or blame, it is very bad for Hillary.

Latest CNN/ORC poll

National poll:
    Trump 44% +7&
    Clinton 39% -3%
    Johnson 9% -4%
    Stein 3% -2%

Excluding Johnson and Stein:
    Trump 48% +6%
    Clinton 45% -4%

Is Hillary Clinton honest and trustworthy:
    Yes 30%
    No 68%

Blue collar workers and independents moving to Trump according to poll.
    Will be interesting to see how the Democratic convention affects the polls.

The worrying thing for Clinton is her honesty and trustworthy figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

The New York Times today has an article detailing the findings of cybersecurity researchers that the DNC email leak came from Russians, a claim first reported in mid-June in the Washington Post.
    [R]esearchers have concluded that the national committee was breached by two Russian intelligence agencies, which were the same attackers behind previous Russian cyberoperations at the White House, the State Department and the Joint Chiefs of Staff last year. And metadata from the released emails suggests that the documents passed through Russian computers. Though a hacker claimed responsibility for giving the emails to WikiLeaks, the same agencies are the prime suspects. Whether the thefts were ordered by Mr. Putin, or just carried out by apparatchiks who thought they might please him, is anyone’s guess.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-emails.html?emc=edit_th_20160725&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=31004876&_r=0

Check out Donald Jr's weirdly over-the-top denial of the claim of Russian involvement. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Check out Donald Jr's weirdly over-the-top denial of the claim of Russian involvement. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

I was going to ask how is Donald Jr even qualified to comment on this situation, but qualifications don't matter anymore it seems since Trump is the nominee now.

The New York Times today has an article detailing the findings of cybersecurity researchers that the DNC email leak came from Russians, a claim first reported in mid-June in the Washington Post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-emails.html?emc=edit_th_20160725&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=31004876&_r=0

He doesn't protest too much, he was asked a leading question that the Russian hacked the DNC to help Trump.
    Do you think if the show was on the other foot that a member of Clinton's team wouldn't protest given the question asked?
    The problem remains that the DNC favoured Clinton over Sanders and it was never a fair race, it showed people at the top of the DNC favouring Hillary and were prepared to use lies against Sanders to try and destroy his campaign.
    Remember Clinton has low honesty polling numbers and the poll above was taken before the leaks.
    Also can anyone honestly believe that Clinton's state secrets on her non secured server were not also hacked?
    Wouldn't be surprised if they appeared close to election day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Check out Trump's new political ad on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/757012114460569604
    Not all too odd when you remember his crippling insecurity and blatant suffering from strong narcissism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Reminds me of the videos you see from N. Korea where they keep clapping for ages after he speaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

The Clinton campaign manager has said, regarding the email leaks of the DNC: that Russia hacked the DNC and is releasing the emails now to help Trump.

I spent extra time this morning watching the morning news to see the reporting regarding the email leaks. There was some talk about how the DNC worked to help Hillary Clinton in the primary and some talk about the DNC questioning Bernie Sanders’ faith. Not a mention of the emails regarding collusion between the DNC and the media. But the big story from our media today...
    Russia may have hacked the DNC emails in order to help Trump. No substance behind the accusation. And in today’s media world the defending Democrats doesn’t seem to need any.

And pictures coming out of Philadelphia indicate Democrats now believe in walls. They have erected a 4 mile long, 8 foot tall, wall outside their convention center. Now if only we can convince them a wall should be utilized to keep out illegals instead of Americans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Clinton campaign manager has said, regarding the email leaks of the DNC: that Russia hacked the DNC and is releasing the emails now to help Trump.

I spent extra time this morning watching the morning news to see the reporting regarding the email leaks. There was some talk about how the DNC worked to help Hillary Clinton in the primary and some talk about the DNC questioning Bernie Sanders’ faith. Not a mention of the emails regarding collusion between the DNC and the media. But the big story from our media today...
    Russia may have hacked the DNC emails in order to help Trump. No substance behind the accusation. And in today’s media world the defending Democrats doesn’t seem to need any.

And pictures coming out of Philadelphia indicate Democrats now believe in walls. They have erected a 4 mile long, 8 foot tall, wall outside their convention center. Now if only we can convince them a wall should be utilized to keep out illegals instead of Americans.

Is it that unbelievable that the Russians dos exactly what the DNC claim? They'd love a Trump presidency. It would weaken US diplomacy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Is it that unbelievable that the Russians dos exactly what the DNC claim? They'd love a Trump presidency. It would weaken US diplomacy.

If that is to be the main story, then show some direct evidence to support such as serious charge. I can understand the Democrats doing this in order to change the subject, but not the media (well, actually, yes I can as the mainstream media is in the tank for Democrats).

Another thing I found interesting watching media reports this morning regarding the DNC email leaks... They had DNC officials making the rounds doing damage control. Each official noted that there were probably going to be more serious leaks coming out this week. HUH? Not one person in any of our ‘unbiased’ media challenged them.... More leaks you say? Since they are your emails and you know what is in them, what are they? Why not get it out in the open now instead of letting Wikileaks do it? NOPE! The silence from our media was deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The neckbeards of 4chan must be messing their pants right now thinking, "Our God-Emperor noticed us!"

If that is to be the main story, then show some direct evidence to support such as serious charge. I can understand the Democrats doing this in order to change the subject, but not the media (well, actually, yes I can as the mainstream media is in the tank for Democrats).

Another thing I found interesting watching media reports this morning regarding the DNC email leaks... They had DNC officials making the rounds doing damage control. Each official noted that there were probably going to be more serious leaks coming out this week. HUH? Not one person in any of our ‘unbiased’ media challenged them.... More leaks you say? Since they are your emails and you know what is in them, what are they? Why not get it out in the open now instead of letting Wikileaks do it? NOPE! The silence from our media was deafening.

The media have no evidence either way. Every article I looked up simply said that the campaign manager has blamed Russia. How can you challenge it, media outlets are not likely to be able to get much evidence either way on this one.

I seriously doubt the officials know what all their underlings have e-mailed so they don't know exactly what is coming from them but so far the leak hasn't been that bad.

Anyway I await Trump's tax returns during the next dump...

Edit: Actually no, I said before it was easier to attack Trump on what he has said in public
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrumpSpam/comments/4teoxl/a_final_response_to_the_tell_me_why_trump_is_a/?st=ir233lqj&sh=ac3dfd8a

Christy42 wrote: »
    The media have no evidence either way. Every article I looked up simply said that the campaign manager has blamed Russia. How can you challenge it, media outlets are not likely to be able to get much evidence either way on this one.

I seriously doubt the officials know what all their underlings have e-mailed so they don't know exactly what is coming from them but so far the leak hasn't been that bad.

Anyway I await Trump's tax returns during the next dump...

Edit: Actually no, I said before it was easier to attack Trump on what he has said in public
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrumpSpam/comments/4teoxl/a_final_response_to_the_tell_me_why_trump_is_a/?st=ir233lqj&sh=ac3dfd8a
    If cui bono is to be the standard now for top media stories and accusations, then why no breaking stories about the shenanigans surrounding Clinton Foundation while she served as Secretary of State?

Interesting that you want to see Trump’s tax returns but nothing about the text of Hillary Clinton’s outrageously paid speeches to Wall Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RobertKK wrote: »
    Latest CNN/ORC poll

National poll:
    Trump 44% +7&
    Clinton 39% -3%
    Johnson 9% -4%
    Stein 3% -2%

Excluding Johnson and Stein:
    Trump 48% +6%
    Clinton 45% -4%

Is Hillary Clinton honest and trustworthy:
    Yes 30%
    No 68%

Blue collar workers and independents moving to Trump according to poll.
    Will be interesting to see how the Democratic convention affects the polls.

The worrying thing for Clinton is her honesty and trustworthy figures.

Clinton should really be scared. Trump could do a Brexit. Going within a few months from not even seriously considered by most political observers to actually happening.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Clinton should really be scared. Trump could do a Brexit. Going within a few months from not even seriously considered by most political observers to actually happening.

Personally, I think Trump's lead is actually higher that what the polls note, because they don't take into consideration the ‘Bradley Effect,’ which appears to be running high this election.

Trump can win based on three simple reasons. He has a strong name recognition, he has connected with the common man, and the majority of us are disgusted with the direction our country is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Personally, I think Trump's lead is actually higher that what the polls note, because they don't take into consideration the ‘Bradley Effect,’ which appears to be running high this election.

In that way it is similar to Brexit polls. People who carry out opinion pools know this and can usually correct for it based on previous experience; but when the parameters of the vote are too different from previous ones (question never asked before or atypical candidate) it becomes very difficult for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Brian? wrote: »
    Is it that unbelievable that the Russians dos exactly what the DNC claim?

It is absolutely true that DNC & the Billary foundadtion have been hacked for Russia.... it was widely reported over a month ago.

However no one can be certain as to the motivations.... we can just assume.

They'd love a Trump presidency. It would weaken US diplomacy.

Lol..... 2 words.... "reset button".

There and then Putin knew that he had Barry's number.
    Confirmed when Obama refused to step up wrt Ukraine and instead let Merkel & Hollande perform their best Neville Chamberlain impersonations at the Minsk conferences.

Fans would call that 'leading from behind'.

When you say Trump "weakens US diplomacy" what do you mean?
    There is little doubt that Hilary would be more bellicose towards Russia.
    Trump has expressed admiration for the Russian Czar.

Which of these two stances makes diplomacy work better do you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement