Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you think he's more than a trend I have a toupe' to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

I remember he was also part of the 'birther' movement a while back trying to get Obama out of the White House because his birth cert was 'faked' and he 'wasn't actually American born'.

More money than sense comes to mind whenever I think of Trump.

He was asked about that in a recent interview I saw and even now he still wouldn't admit that yes Obama is an American.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Overheal wrote: »
    If you think he's more than a trend I have a toupe' to sell you.

Seriously, what's the craic with his barnet? Is it a mad comb over?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

whatever it is it announced its running for president

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-miles/donald-trumps-hair-announ_b_7839580.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Im no obama fan but he was still a much stronger candidate than clinton is now, also you were coming out of a 2 term republican cluster*ck generated by bush, nobody was going to vote republican again after that mess-up. now were on the other side, people are unhappy with obamas failures and how left he leans at times.

I don't see any outstanding candidate in this race so far. It seems Clinton and Bush are the best of a very poor lot. Says it all really.

• Advertisement

I don't see any outstanding candidate in this race so far. It seems Clinton and Bush are the best of a very poor lot. Says it all really.

Thats sadly what you get when you have a broken system where big money has been allowed to buy off large chunks of the congress and the 2 parties behave in the manner of a cartel in snuffing out any possible alternative voices being allowed to grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I really hope Hilary wins it.

I lived here for the Clinton years and its was great. Remember the problems with over-employment and how it was effecting levels of service? We can only wish today.

The right wing hated the pair of them though. Probably thought they were communists. Especially since she tried to take on healthcare, how dare the wife of the president do anything political. They never stopped with the investigations of the Clintons for his entire presidency. And then there was the farce of the impeachment.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

InTheTrees wrote: »

I lived here for the Clinton years and its was great. Remember the problems with over-employment and how it was effecting levels of service? We can only wish today.

The right wing hated the pair of them though. Probably thought they were communists. Especially since she tried to take on healthcare, how dare the wife of the president do anything political. They never stopped with the investigations of the Clintons for his entire presidency. And then there was the farce of the impeachment.

;)

She's the best of a bad bunch imo.

Bill's presidency was undoubtedly more successful than Bush', but he continued the same deregulation of the banks which started before him, which caused the chaos in 2008. He's a charismatic guy, and I admire Hillary for how she conducted herself during the whole Lewinsky story, but I find her very cold, drab and elitist in a way.

Since I have relatives with ties to the Clinton's (one of whom was an ambassador during Bill's presidency) I might have a little bit to gain if she wins, but I'd much rather see Sanders in the White House than her, although it'll never happen.

but I'd much rather see Sanders in the White House than her, although it'll never happen.

Yup.

I agree. Sanders would be a dream. I hope there arent too many pissed off dem voters who stay home when he doesnt get the nomination though.

;)

Even more of a farce now that we know what the leading figures in the push to impeach Clinton were doing themselves.
    Newt Gingrich was engaged in an affair during the time he was pushing for Clinton's impeachment. Then we had Bob Livingtson who had to resign on the day of the impeachment vote after it was revealed he was having an extra marital affair. Then most disgusting of all Dennis Hasterd whom we now know sexually molested a male student during his time as a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

nokia69 wrote: »
    looks to me like the Donald is winning

That's not "winning", that's "polling somewhat well". Polling a plurality of GOP primary voters. And Clinton is polling a comfortable majority by a wide margin over him, if he were the nominee.

Brian? wrote: »
    I find his comments about John McCain particularly disgusting.
    Particularly self-destructive, given that the "secular religion" of Republicans is the military, as someone put it. But hardly very high up (or low down?) the offensiveometer, by his own standards. From the short clip I've seen, he was being hit over the head with the "John McCain, war hero!" thing. He didn't go out of his way to pick that particular fight.

Most candidates want nothing to do with him right now, and while this may signal Trump's decline, he continues to soar in the polls. Bush and the rest can distance themselves from him all they want, but when people see 'Donald Trump Republican candidate' that's all most people need to not vote for anyone running right now. All Bush and the rest can do now is gang up on him and pray that he goes away, but as long as he does well in the polls, Trump won't leave as his ego is satisfied.
    If I were a Republican primary contender right now, I'd:
    1. Hate myself;
    2. Consider that rationally, Trump can't win, and will almost certainly drop out sooner, rather than later; and
    3. Be completely bricking it, in the meantime.
    But in a couple of months, he'll very likely be gone. Other candidates might be able to do themselves some good if they manage to disagree with him in a way that comes off as vaguely statesmanlike. As opposed to merely sanctimonious or opportunist. They should at least be able to avoid doing themselves lasting harm, just by not saying anything competitively stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

alaimacerc wrote: »
    That's not "winning", that's "polling somewhat well". Polling a plurality of GOP primary voters. And Clinton is polling a comfortable majority by a wide margin over him, if he were the nominee.

I NEVER said he was winning the race to the white house

I said he is winning the race for republican nomination, and he is

I NEVER said he was winning the race to the white house

I said he is winning the race for republican nomination, and he is

Not really, no one is actually winning that race yet. Not a single vote has been cast in a primary or even a straw poll as far as I'm aware.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Do you think Trump still "gets it" and would make a "good president" its was shameful what he said about mcain.. The man was tortured for five years and he basically called him a loser for getting captured. Explain that one?

I think you said recently that you think Obama doesn't like America much but have you ever seen a president "even Obama" who doesn't like America ever call one of your military a loser because they got captured even when they put their lives on the line.

This is really shameful stuff.......

Yes, Trump gets a lot of what troubles the average citizen.

I didn't agree with Al Fraken, now a US Senator, when he said basically the same thing about McCain. And I don't agree with what Trump said about him either.

I wonder what it takes to be able to achieve 'Joe Biden status', where you are automatically given a pass on every bone-headed thing you say?

'Oh, that's just Joe being Joe.' Why not 'that's just Trump being Trump?' Perhaps because he has an (R) behind his name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Trump knows good tv and thats exactly what he's giving the American voter right now.

If they are stupid enough to fall for that then they'll get the POTUS they deserve.

Amerika wrote: »
    Why not 'that's just Trump being Trump?' Perhaps because he has an (R) behind his name!

Because my uncle was a pow for four years.

Do you aslo think POWs are losers too then?

??

When did Joe biden insult the military?

Amerika wrote: »
    Yes, Trump gets a lot of what troubles the average citizen.

I didn't agree with Al Fraken, now a US Senator, when he said basically the same thing about McCain. And I don't agree with what Trump said about him either.

I wonder what it takes to be able to achieve 'Joe Biden status', where you are automatically given a pass on every bone-headed thing you say?

'Oh, that's just Joe being Joe.' Why not 'that's just Trump being Trump?' Perhaps because he has an (R) behind his name!

When did Joe Biden take a pop at a veteran? When did Joe Biden ever say anything this insensitive or plain stupid?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    When did Joe Biden take a pop at a veteran? When did Joe Biden ever say anything this insensitive or plain stupid?
    "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/joebiden/a/top-10-biden-quotes.htm

• Advertisement

the Dems would be crazy to go with Hillary, too many people don't like her

Not a veteran as Overheal says and nowhere near as stupid.

they/them/theirs

Yeah we already know Biden is gafftacular but when did he ever use his superpowers on a vet

Joe bidens son, who died about two months ago, was in the military and spent a year in Iraq.

Imagine trumps children in the military? Eugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Exactly, Hillary is not liked enough to win this, the dems only hope is not to go with hillary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Meh it's one poll; I wouldn't read too much into it, especially as the three states mentioned are nowhere near as important as the likes of Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida.
    Exactly, Hillary is not liked enough to win this, the dems only hope is not to go with hillary.

While not many people like Hillary (including myself), a lot more people hate Trump, and wouldn't like choose Bush over another Clinton either.

Also a lot of people will vote for her simply because she is less worse than the rest. The thought of Donald Trump sitting in the White House with the atomic button sitting right beside him would send shivers down the spine of most people in America.

Joe bidens son, who died about two months ago, was in the military and spent a year in Iraq.

That sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

There is no realistic chance of Trump getting the republican nomination. Their establishment, rightly, won't tolerate him. It WOULD be hilarious though, if somehow he did.

• Advertisement

the Donald is going after the Saudis now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement