Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Options
1326327328329330332»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Amerika wrote: »
    And I'll stop bashing the biased media, when the media stops being biased.

On the point of bias, do you ever stop and wonder if Democrat ultra-loyalists have to work as hard at excusing and defending Clinton as you have to work at excusing and defending the latest Trump outburst?

At some point you have to think, if you have to work so hard to try find the silver lining in whatever Trump said last...maybe its not bias that people think hes completely unsuitable for consideration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm not a legal expert but i live in Washington state where marijuana is legal.

As far as i know the situation is that the various federal agencies usually rely on state law enforcement to process arrests, provide logistical support etc.

Without that cooperation they can't really do any "enforcement". There is no federal crime of simple marijuana possession for instance, you'd be charged locally after being arrested, but obviously that infrastructure no longer exists in cannabis legal states.
    Thanks for the information.

I did a little research since you posted this and it appears it is still a federal crime even if you are in a state that has legalized it.

"Although 18 states have legalized the medical use of marijuana, federal law does not recognize or protect medicinal marijuana possession or use; and the federal government can prosecute people who are otherwise protected under state medicinal marijuana laws.

Under the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) of 1970, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I substance. By definition, Schedule I drugs have a high potential for abuse and dependency, with no recognized medical use or value. Any marijuana possession, cultivation, or use is a federal crime, subjecting a defendant to fines, prison time, or both. Large scale cultivation and trafficking (transporting or selling marijuana, often across state lines) incurs harsher penalties, and tends to be the main focus of federal drug enforcement attention."

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/federal-crime/medical-marijuana-federal-laws.htm

Brian? wrote: »
    It's funny how you don't mind the federal government legislating against something you support. I thought you were for states rights to legislate on everything not explicitly named in the constitution.

Yes I am. But this was a discussion of federal law, not of state laws or one's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I did a little research since you posted this and it appears it is still a federal crime even though you are in a state that has legalized it.
    ]

Yes. That's correct. You can't send it via USPS for instance .

But you also won't be arrested or prosecuted by the feds. There is no way for them to do that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yes I am. But this was a discussion of federal law, not of state laws or one's opinion.

So you're using a law you don't agree with for point scoring purposes?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    On the point of bias, do you ever stop and wonder if Democrat ultra-loyalists have to work as hard at excusing and defending Clinton as you have to work at excusing and defending the latest Trump outburst?

At some point you have to think, if you have to work so hard to try find the silver lining in whatever Trump said last...maybe its not bias that people think hes completely unsuitable for consideration?

Trump and media bias are two different things, although one definitely affects the other in a negative manner. And there is plenty of negativity surrounding Trump that the media doesn't need to interject their biases into it. If the mainstream media wants to provide a warning beforehand that all their "reporting" is only opinion and and not journalism, and they will not treat candidates equally, then that would be okay.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    But you also won't be arrested or prosecuted by the feds. There is no way for them to do that.
    I think the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) might disagree with you on this.

Brian? wrote: »
    So you're using a law you don't agree with for point scoring purposes?
    It became a discussion of law, plain and simple. Opinions on if a law is good or bad won't keep you out of the joint (pun intended :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I think the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) might disagree with you on this.

Well, the FBI have already been told to keep out of recreational use arrests in legalised States, and that they cannot raid medical marijuana centres in states where medical laws have been passed, so I'm not sure they would disagree.

alastair wrote: »
    Well, the FBI have already been told to keep out of recreational use arrests in legalised States, and that they cannot raid medical marijuana centres in states where medical laws have been passed, so I'm not sure they would disagree.
    I understand that. But agents being told 'to keep out of recreational use arrests,' is simply an executive type of order telling them to ignore the law... which does not make the law null and void. Federal agents can still make an arrest if they wanted to, and you can still be prosecuted for it, correct? And the next DOJ can tell agents to start enforcing the law again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Federal agents can still make an arrest if they wanted to, and you can still be prosecuted for it, correct?

Well yes technically they could of course. But if a FBI agent arrests some citizen smoking a joint on the street in Seattle, where do you think they take him?

Where do they charge him? Where is he held? He would be given a ticket to appear in federal court? Isn't that excessive?

Seattle Police wont cooperate, County police won't, state police won't. Even State DEA wouldn't.

Its where the legal issue of state vs federal rights come crashing together. Fascinating really. Especially since its conservatives who are so adamant about the horror of government over reach and intrusion into states rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We've nearly reached the 10k post limit that means we have to close this thread and start a new one, some technical issues that I'll never understand.

The mods have let a fair bit go on both sides in recent days so with the new thread please think before you post, uncivil posts will be carded from now on so just attack the post content, not the poster.

New thread is here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement