Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Overheal wrote: »
    When was the last time you ever involved yourself in the student loan system? FAFSA already incorporates completion and graduation rates into its operations, and quality is most certainly considered - look into the Corinthian Colleges situation, where lack of quality education shut out those schools. Either way, there is no fortune-teller that can say Billy will graduate but Jennifer won't, all they can see are two 18 year old kids with decent high school grades.
    Just recently, and don't forget PHEAA (in PA), studentloan.gov and scholarship and grant searches. I think just about anyone can get student loans if they are accepted into a college. And SAT & ACT test scores and GPA are good indicators of whether someone with graduate.
    Its not that you have no chance without college, and indeed most people I know who are happy healthy and have families do not have college degrees. I don't think this "brainwashing" claim is at all accurate; what is accurate to say is that metadata confirms that those with college degrees make on average more lifetime earnings, etc., than people without a college degree.
    Oh yes the school system is brainwashing them into believing they have to go to college to succeed. I'm having to deal with it right now. And I agree college degrees do increase a person's lifetime earnings, but college isn't for everyone. And saddling them with tens of thousands of dollars of debt when they drop out, knowing they never really could make it through in the first place, is a crime IMO.
    OK. That only demonstrates its possible to choose a more affordable education.
    Sure it does, but not enough are smart enough to fully comprehend alternatives. Easy money from the gov't clouds ones judgement.
    Does it matter? What if Mark Twain, Einstein, DeGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye, or Elmo had said it?
    None of them were Sarah Palin, and if you think that doesn't matter, I fear you're just fooling yourself.
    At the end of the day, do you really, really care, what the media thinks?
    Everyone does! They're still regarded as the authority on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Amerika wrote: »
    They could always just start a Triple A program for NFL teams, eh? It will never work. College football in engrained in our psyche. It’s as American as apple pie. That would be like asking Europeans to give up that other boring football thing they call soccer. I think the college football system works just fine and why not have some tuition cost siphoned into the athletic program? What would the players have in life if it were not for their football scholarships, regardless if they graduate or not?

That reminds me why is the FBI an American security agency getting involved in FIFA a sport the majority of Americans don't play and never want to play. Sepp Blatter is all about promoting sport all around the world yet in your part of the world that translates to bribery and dodgy dealings.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    That reminds me why is the FBI an American security agency getting involved in FIFA a sport the majority of Americans don't play and never want to play. Sepp Blatter is all about promoting sport all around the world yet in your part of the world that translates to bribery and dodgy dealings.

I believe the FBI is involved because the crimes were committed on US soil.

Soccer is growing as a sport here and they are starting the kids rather young with youth teams in just about every town and city. Unfortunately after a certain age they seem to move away from soccer and into baseball, wrestling, football, basketball and hockey. And there is a growing controversy here over concussions and head trauma in soccer play with the kids.

I have tried getting into soccer, but just can't do it. It's just too boring to me. I am constantly being offered free tickets to see the pro Philadelphia Union soccer team play, but I always turn them down.

I believe the FBI is involved because the crimes were committed on US soil. Soccer is growing as a sport here and they are starting the kids rather young with youth teams in just about every town and city. Unfortunately after a certain age they seem to move away from soccer and into baseball, wrestling, football, basketball and hockey. And there is a growing controversy here over concussions and head trauma in soccer play with the kids.

I have tried getting into soccer, but just can't do it. It's just too boring to me. I am constantly being offered free tickets to see the pro Philadelphia Union soccer team play, but I always turn them down.

UEFA is the best, Europe is where it is as and all the big leagues are over here. I feel that is changing, congratulation is in order on the Women's American team winning the world cup. The brand is still vibrant and has many followers. This business with FIFA will not put off the enthusiastic supporters.

UEFA is the best, Europe is where it is as and all the big leagues are over here. I feel that is changing, congratulation is in order on the Women's American team winning the world cup. The brand is still vibrant and has many followers. This business with FIFA will not put off the enthusiastic supporters.

The Women's American team won? Oh, that's right, I kind of remember now seeing a short blurb about it on the sports shows, although I have no idea who they played in the championship game.

I coach a girls youth softball team. Fall ball is starting up soon. Hopefully I can get my temper with the umpires better under control this season, and not get thrown out of any games. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

All sorts of strange organisations in American pro sports. The thing to remember is that its all geared towards maximising profit for the owners.

There's no relegation of teams in american sport. You have the same teams competing year after year, and they get a share of the TV revenue as well so it can be extremely lucrative to the owners. In Baseball for instance its possible to make more money with a losing team, because you get your share of TV revenue and then dont spend the money on the payroll. No relegation means you'll still be in the Big Leagues next season so there's little risk. The usual compliant media who dont ask hard questions means nothing is ever done, or even discussed. There's no tradition of fans complaining like there is in europe. You'd never get signs critical of a team displayed at a game for instance.

And the farce of the National Football League. They only play 16 games a year. Thats all. So no wonder college football is so popular, there's no other football to watch. Its like college football is the lower division of the NFL. Now the concussion issue is starting to be recognized I wonder how it will change though?

Having said all that... i'm a fan of american "football". And baseball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I believe the FBI is involved because the crimes were committed on US soil.

Soccer is growing as a sport here and they are starting the kids rather young with youth teams in just about every town and city. Unfortunately after a certain age they seem to move away from soccer and into baseball, wrestling, football, basketball and hockey. And there is a growing controversy here over concussions and head trauma in soccer play with the kids.

Concussions in soccer? Really? The biggest controversy over head trauma in sports was in the NFL and the big case they settled a few months ago. Soccer is by its nature not a contact sport so I can't imagine why parents would be worried about kids playing it purely because of that.

I imagine parents would be far more worried about their kids playing football or hockey than soccer.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    And the farce of the National Football League. They only play 16 games a year. Thats all. So no wonder college football is so popular, there's no other football to watch. Its like college football is the lower division of the NFL. Now the concussion issue is starting to be recognized I wonder how it will change though?

Having said all that... i'm a fan of american "football". And baseball.

Have you played a game of football? It's incredibly draining, so 16 games a year is plenty; besides there's playoff games and pre-season games aswell so the actual number is closer to 20 for most teams.

College football is also larger because there are far more teams, teams are more local than NFL teams which are all in major cities with a few exceptions and are tied to their locations unlike franchises which can move, and also supporters attended the colleges so they feel tied to the college unlike the NFL team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think a lot of the money went through American financial institutions so they've a stake in it that way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If there is any country that should be royally pained than it is Brazil. Soccer's reputation is being tarnished by all these corruption claims and office politics stuff. Brail which is soccer mad and loves the sport should be infuriated at these events.

• Advertisement

Have you played a game of football? It's incredibly draining, so 16 games a year is plenty;

:confused:

Lots of sports are incredibly draining.

After a game of football you need at least a week to recover, even if you're a top athlete. Pro footballers play enough games imo

Concussions in soccer? Really? The biggest controversy over head trauma in sports was in the NFL and the big case they settled a few months ago. Soccer is by its nature not a contact sport so I can't imagine why parents would be worried about kids playing it purely because of that.

I imagine parents would be far more worried about their kids playing football or hockey than soccer.

Much of it has to do with kids heading the ball. Some tests have shown head trauma and brain injuries caused in kids after numerous headers over time. They are considering making it illegal to head the ball in youth soccer over here.

Have you played a game of football? It's incredibly draining, so 16 games a year is plenty; besides there's playoff games and pre-season games aswell so the actual number is closer to 20 for most teams.

College football is also larger because there are far more teams, teams are more local than NFL teams which are all in major cities with a few exceptions and are tied to their locations unlike franchises which can move, and also supporters attended the colleges so they feel tied to the college unlike the NFL team.
    Add to those 16 game another 4 preseason game. Then playoffs for many teams. Only six years is the average lifespan of a player in the NFL, and these are some of the toughest guys in the world. I played football 2 years in high school. I broke two fingers, had 20 stitches in my mouth, ripped the miniscus in a knee, tore cartilage in the shoulder, and tore ligiments in an ankle. I sure am paying the price later in life from those injuries received during those two "glorious" years. But I'm now a great weather forecaster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You don't get it, NFL is draining because the games go on for about 9 hours. Only about 4 minutes of that is actual playing time and only about 4 player on each team actually touch the ball. But anyone would be drained by staying awake and alert through an entire game.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You don't get it, NFL is draining because the games go on for about 9 hours. Only about 4 minutes of that is actual playing time and only about 4 player on each team actually touch the ball. But anyone would be drained by staying awake and alert through an entire game.

Its true just the duration of a game would be quite physically demanding. I think that's why they have oxygen tanks on the sidelines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Back on topic please folks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I see Trump is in Scotland today with his usual mix of buffoonery and ego - a sad indictment that this man is even garnering support

I saw a poll that put him 3 points ahead of all the others at 18%.

Looking forward to the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Brian? wrote: »

Not only that, not all players are on the field at the same time like in soccer, hurling etc. with your offensive team, defensive team and special team so that's probably more like 2 minutes a game a player is actually moving on the field of play so woop de doo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,833 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I saw a poll that put him 3 points ahead of all the others at 18%.

Looking forward to the debates.

20% Trump
    18% bush
    etc.

Quite the circus for the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

A long interview with Trump by Anderson Cooper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nokia69 wrote: »

the Dems would be crazy to go with Hillary, too many people don't like her
    20Cent wrote: »

Mod:

If posters are going to put up youtube videos please add a paragraph or two giving a summary of what they are about. Not everybody has the time or inclination to watch them.

Also this isn't the politics cafe, so humorous videos aren't allowed in the forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I also haven had sound on this laptop in a minute; Windows 10 issue

Trump in power would be bad news for Mexican Americans maybe that is why the GOP has persuaded him to run either way looking at all the other nominees they are all trying to drum up the Latin vote, opposing relations with Cuba and espousing harsh views on immigration. Trump appears a man that understands this is bad for Americans that he represents. He has decided not to back the Latinos and stick to the typical Republican voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

According to polls Trump has the largest Hispanics support.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-poll-hispanic-vote-hillary-clinton-2015-7

zielarz wrote: »
    According to polls Trump has the largest Hispanics support.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-poll-hispanic-vote-hillary-clinton-2015-7

Among Republicans. Not saying a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Pleas god let Trump be the candidate. Hillary will be over the moon. But I don't think Americans are that stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

a Focus group in New Hampshire love The Donald
    Heilemann further asked the focus group what they believed a Trump presidency would look like.

“Classy,” Cheryl, a real estate agent, answered confidently.

Donald Trump, man of the people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭dollar_king

I think jeb bush will win , trump is a bit of entertainment until the serious decisions arrive , apart from Hillary having a likability deficit and been seen as not having true conviction on anything bar her career , Obama is not popular in America itself so the electorate is likely to opt for change

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement