Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I don't know if it's the media getting more pessimistic or the weather, but I have this odd feeling that Sanders' chances of securing the democratic nomination are slowly ebbing away.
    Methinks that Sanders is a flash in the pan today. It's still a very long way to the November 2016 election.
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    The US does not have a Democracy...well, it may have a form of Democracy that can be bought.
    Almost everything in America is for sale, including the politicians or wanna-be politicians like Trump and Fiorina. Special interest PACs and Super PACS will finance their 2016 candidates, and then expect a return on their investment should they win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,836 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Methinks that Sanders is a flash in the pan today. It's still a very long way to the November 2016 election.
    I distaste how much everyone dismisses rationality, and only because it conflicts with what billionaires want and they have money to do whatever they want - right? People keep staying sat down for this issue, but it's an overt admission by everyone that they have no real vote unless you vote how the money wants you to vote. Do we not see the problem with this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    I distaste how much everyone dismisses rationality, and only because it conflicts with what billionaires want and they have money to do whatever they want - right? People keep staying sat down for this issue, but it's an overt admission by everyone that they have no real vote unless you vote how the money wants you to vote. Do we not see the problem with this?
    Methinks the average American voter does not see the consequences of their actions when falling for highly funded political advertising campaigns. Worse, many line up behind their favourite party, be they Democrats or Republicans, and mindlessly root for their party, just like they line up behind their favourite NFL football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Black Swan wrote: »
    Methinks the average American voter does not see the consequences of their actions when falling for highly funded political advertising campaigns. Worse, many line up behind their favourite party, be they Democrats or Republicans, and mindlessly root for their party, just like they line up behind their favourite NFL football team.

I’m a NY Jets fan. Just like in politics, I accustomed to backing losers. :pac:

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

Amerika wrote: »
    I’m a NY Jets fan. Just like in politics, I accustomed to backing losers. :pac:

Well the Jets are off to a 2-0 start this season so you must be happy with that.

eire4 wrote: »
    Well the Jets are off to a 2-0 start this season so you must be happy with that.

I am cautiously optimistic. I still keep my paper bag handy, though. The experts were examining NFL teams that are currently 2-0 and have no chance of making the playoffs. The Cowboys are the second pick because the lost Tony Romo and Dez Bryant to injuries. The Jets are the first pick not to make the playoffs... because they’re the Jets. :(

Ben Carson on Meet the Press: “I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.”

Article VI of the US constitution states: “No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

Part of Carson's Republican platform if nominated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ben Carson on Meet the Press: “I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.”

Article VI of the US constitution states: “No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

You think that's bad. He said proof that homosexuality is a choice is the fact that men go into prison straight and come out gay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

For a highly respected and world renowned neurosurgeon, Ben Carson really is a total idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

For a highly respected and world renowned neurosurgeon, Ben Carson really is a total idiot.

Yip! Sometimes Academic and Career achievement don't correlate into sound and rational thought in other areas of life.

Ron Paul was an OBGYN, I believe. He at least seemed a little more in touch with things when he was running. He got the Sanders treatment at the time, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I read somewhere that he has even completed research (using fetal tissue which is all of a sudden bad since he became a republican candidate), if thats the level of proof he requires his research must be a great read.

I feel sorry for people who dont want a religious fanatic in charge. You end up with little choice in who to vote for.

Very read up on our Constitution I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Wonder if Carson feels Muslims can take up leadership roles in the FBI or CIA.

Btw, has anyone defined what 'securing the border' actually means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I feel sorry for people who dont want a religious fanatic in charge. You end up with little choice in who to vote for.

I heard somewhere that the main voter base in America doesn't care a whole lot what religion you are (except for Islam apparently) as long as you a practising member. Despite a very large portion of people in America being Agnostic or Atheist, or just non-practising theists, there doesn't seem to be a credible candidate who identifies as such.

I suppose it doesn't matter a whole lot either way, as long as one's faith doesn't interfere with their policy, which I imagine, could be a problem for some candidates like Carson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The last time I checked, Bernie Sanders was an irreligious (and probably agnostic/atheist) Jew.

The last time I checked, Bernie Sanders was an irreligious (and probably agnostic/atheist) Jew.
    Don’t forget a Conscientious Objector… Just what we want as our Commander In Chief. ;)

Beats a warmonger

Beats a warmonger

It would ceratinly make a change from the shoot first ask questions later US foreign policy which has been a disaster for the US never mind all the people who have needlessly died as a result of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Would it be however be a synonym for Isolationist which were closely aligned with such sentiments preWWII.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Would it be however be a synonym for Isolationist which were closely aligned with such sentiments preWWII.
    Isolationism is no longer a concern, rather the opposite. Since WWII Americans can have FAITH in the special interest influences ($) of their Military Industrial Complex lobbies to remain Super Power Spender of tax monies. Except for those rich few that profit greatly from their blocks of MIC equity investments, US Americans have failed to understand the MIC cautions of former general and president Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Methinks you'll find the MIC lobbies donating to 2016 presidential Super PACs that represent both parties, Democrats and Republicans. Just like Big Oil, they donate to both to hedge their bets. And both MIC and Big Oil will expect ROI on their donations no matter whom is elected president.

Don’t know if or how it will affect the election, but John Boehner announced he will resign as Speaker of the House and give up his House seat at the end of October.

what spurred this on? who's on the shortlist to replace him?

I heard he was planing on leaving Congress at the end of the year anyway, and the recent fight with the Conservatives and the Tea Party over Planned Parenthood just accelerated his decision. Short list… Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy

Isolationism is no longer a concern, rather the opposite. Since WWII Americans can have FAITH in the special interest influences ($) of their Military Industrial Complex lobbies to remain Super Power Spender of tax monies. Except for those rich few that profit greatly from their blocks of MIC equity investments, US Americans have failed to understand the MIC cautions of former general and president Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Methinks you'll find the MIC lobbies donating to 2016 presidential Super PACs that represent both parties, Democrats and Republicans. Just like Big Oil, they donate to both to hedge their bets. And both MIC and Big Oil will expect ROI on their donations no matter whom is elected president.

Totally agree with you there Black Swan. Isolationism is far from being an issue with the US at all. In fact the opposite is the problem really now.

Amerika wrote: »
    Don’t know if or how it will affect the election, but John Boehner announced he will resign as Speaker of the House and give up his House seat at the end of October.

Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner, the 3rd highest position in US government with rights of succession to US president (if both the president and VP should suddenly vacate office) was seen as continuously crying (behind the Pope) through most of the Pope's speech before the US Congress yesterday. Today, the day after, Boehner unexpectedly states that he will resign in a few days (October) from BOTH the Speaker of the House position, AND his seat in the US House of Representatives. Methinks this internationally telecast Pope speech (with Boehner continuously crying behind him) was not the substantial reason why he was asked to leave by the Republican leadership, but the final "straw" of public embarrassment that broke the camel's back. Certainly the Republican conservatives had been pressuring him for years to leave the Speaker position, but this crying incident by their highest Republican office holder was used to push Boehner over the edge. This could not have happened at a worse time in congressional decision making, given that they are to vote on funding the federal government next week, now with a powerless lame duck Speaker.

Will these sudden Boehner resignations from both offices have consequences for the 2016 presidential election? The 2008 GOP presidential nominee thought so:
    NY Times: Senator John McCain of Arizona said that he was taken aback and that Mr. Boehner’s resignation had perilous implications for Republican prospects going into next year’s elections.

“It means that it’s in disarray,” Mr. McCain said in a brief interview. “Basically, he has been unseated. And that’s not good for the Republican Party.”

This was not the first public crying incident by Boehner, but certainly the longest and most internationally televised one while the Pope spoke before the US Congress. Shedding a momentary tear for joy is fine, but crying the entire speech was embarrassing. Vice President Biden (also pictured behind Pope) is also a Catholic like Boehner, but he did not cry throughout the Pope's speech Thursday. Then again, maybe Boehner was crying knowing he was being forced to resign the next day (Friday) by his Republican leadership? Who knows?

195318_5_.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner, the 3rd highest position in US government with rights of succession to US president (if both the president and VP should suddenly vacate office) was seen as continuously crying (behind the Pope) through most of the Pope's speech before the US Congress yesterday. Today, the day after, Boehner unexpectedly states that he will resign in a few days (October) from BOTH the Speaker of the House position, AND his seat in the US House of Representatives. Methinks this internationally telecast Pope speech (with Boehner continuously crying behind him) was not the substantial reason why he was asked to leave by the Republican leadership, but the final "straw" of public embarrassment that broke the camel's back. Certainly the Republican conservatives had been pressuring him for years to leave the Speaker position, but this crying incident by their highest Republican office holder was used to push Boehner over the edge. This could not have happened at a worse time in congressional decision making, given that they are to vote on funding the federal government next week, now with a powerless lame duck Speaker.

Will these sudden Boehner resignations from both offices have consequences for the 2016 presidential election? The 2008 GOP presidential nominee thought so:

This was not the first public crying incident by Boehner, but certainly the longest and most internationally televised one while the Pope spoke before the US Congress. Shedding a momentary tear for joy is fine, but crying the entire speech was embarrassing. Vice President Biden (also pictured behind Pope) is also a Catholic like Boehner, but he did not cry throughout the Pope's speech Thursday. Then again, maybe Boehner was crying knowing he was being forced to resign the next day (Friday) by his Republican leadership? Who knows?

195318_5_.jpg

The crying was bizarre.

Could he be unwell?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Could it be that the Pope's views on climate change didn't sit well with all of that Koch cash, and he had a bit of a meltdown trying to reconcile the two? :pac:

Brian? wrote: »
    The crying was bizarre.

Could he be unwell?

Speaker of the House John Boehner just gave a nationally syndicated telly news conference regarding his two sudden resignations, and he did not evidence any signs of illness, nor did he mention that he was resigning for health reasons.

It's been labeled a news bombshell, because it was sudden and unexpected. Certainly there had been some mention that he would retire someday from Speaker, but not also his seat in the US House of Representatives a year before completed. Jumping ship and leaving his elected congressional seat all of a sudden does not fulfill his obligations to the voters that sent him to Congress, and his congressional seat in the US House will either have to be filled by a special last minute temporary appointment by the state governor, or by an expensive special state election. The next regularly scheduled election is not until November 2016 over a year from now. Putting aside resigning from Speaker, suddenly leaving his seat as a member of the US House was irresponsible to the State of Ohio voters that elected him.

GOP presidential candidate Trump has already jumped into the fry, commenting that elected representatives should do their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Boehner is resigning. He has had a colourful career in Congress. By no means the most conservative person in the GOP, but still he was a firm opponent of everything Barack Obama did while he was president with nobody to turn to, Boehner challenged the authority of the President and as an outsider looking in it did come across as a feud between the two men. Neither could stand the sight of each other. Boehner was once a sponsor of big tobacco while Obama represented everything he loathed. It will be interesting to see who will get the Speakers job and how Boehner will handle the change over.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement