Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Boehner is resigning... It will be interesting to see who will get the Speakers job and how Boehner will handle the change over.
    Now labeled "Boehner's Bombshell" noting its suddenness. Republican Kevin McCarthy (House majority leader since August 2014) has been gathering support to replace Boehner as Speaker, while more conservative and Tea Party faction favourite Paul Ryan (2012 Republican vice presidential nominee) is also reaching for the post. Neither McCarthy or Ryan are seen as contenders for VP running mates in presidential 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might see another dropout or two this week, in terms of the Republican pack. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/gop-insiders-jindal-and-pataki-quit-next-214047

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

GOP changing the guard for the next election cycle. Bringing in battle hardened Tea Party enthusiasts to take the fight to the Democrats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GOP changing the guard for the next election cycle. Bringing in battle hardened Tea Party enthusiasts to take the fight to the Democrats.

I don't understand this comment. Walker was a Tea Party darling, as well as Rand Paul.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't understand this comment. Walker was a Tea Party darling, as well as Rand Paul.

The articles mentioned Pataki and Jindal neither of whom were particularly conservative for the hard line conservatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Oh Jesus...... Do the tea party gang really think they can win the white house, with only the white vote. Because that all they have, and only about half of those as well.

God they are an angry bunch of people serious chip on their shoulders as well

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Do the tea party gang really think they can win the white house... ?
    The GOP has been splintered between factions for a decade, and the Tea Party is one such Republican faction. It's not a real party in its own right, and only votes for Republican candidates in elections (except for the rare token). There was a time when they appeared to be gaining influence among Republican voters and some independents, and their golden period had occurred between 2008 and 2012 when they got their Tea Party endorsed Republican candidates nominated for vice president in 2008 (Sarah Palin) and 2012 (Paul Ryan). Those losses affected their image substantially, and methinks that it is unlikely that either the 2016 presidential or vice presidential Republican party nominees will the Tea Party faction members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The GOP might be splintered between several factions, but aren't the Democrats also affected by different factions?

Bernie is currently the #2 candidate who's actually running, yet he's not even a party member.

I guess this is yet another problem with a 2 party system.

The GOP might be splintered between several factions, but aren't the Democrats also affected by different factions?

Bernie is currently the #2 candidate who's actually running, yet he's not even a party member.

Who clearly is the leader of the Republican party? They don't have one, but several infighting for control since late 2008. Today the Democrats have Obama since 2008. If the Dems lose presidential 2016, they may go the way of today's GOP and splinter too. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Black Swan wrote: »
    Who clearly is the leader of the Republican party? They don't have one, but several infighting for control since late 2008. Today the Democrats have Obama since 2008. If the Dems lose presidential 2016, they may go the way of today's GOP and splinter too. Who knows?

The Black Swan intellectually flashed us? :)

I wish I could disagree regarding the GOP, but alas, I can't.

• Advertisement

The GOP has one asset the Democrats sadly lack with the exception of Bernie and that is passion. People lie Trump, Palin, McCain, Rand Paul & Ron Paul are fierce when it comes to the issues. You saw that with Obama against the war party but this time the Democrats have the Presidency so they are not up for the fight against the Republicans. Democrats will lose lots of ground if the enthusiasm for the race to the presidency reaches boiling point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The GOP has one asset the Democrats sadly lack with the exception of Bernie and that is passion. People lie Trump, Palin, McCain, Rand Paul & Ron Paul are fierce when it comes to the issues. You saw that with Obama against the war party but this time the Democrats have the Presidency so they are not up for the fight against the Republicans. Democrats will lose lots of ground if the enthusiasm for the race to the presidency reaches boiling point.

If there's one thing the Democrats lack over the Republicans it's billionaire donors.

Try leading any sensible campaign against Tea Party clowns when Koch money can fund non-stop campaign ads in the media.

If there's one thing the Democrats lack over the Republicans it's billionaire donors.

Try leading any sensible campaign against Tea Party clowns when Koch money can fund non-stop campaign ads in the media.

Your basically saying the electioneering is bogus. That is not true for the grassroots. Remember the Blue Dogs have switched allegiances as they have in the past. The voices of reaction are getting louder and louder. Democrats have to start taking on the GOP in their middle ground to reclaim the floating voters. Many Democrats don't believe Obama went far enough as President only a massive turnout in favour of the Democrats will allow the voices of reason to be heard.

The GOP has one asset the Democrats sadly lack with the exception of Bernie and that is passion.
    It's too bad that US Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) cannot be drafted to run for either 2016 president or VP, not for her passion per se, rather for her extraordinary knowledge, research, publications, and presentations that address issues affecting the bottom 90 percent of Americans from 1980 to the present day. She has a wealth of knowledge that could be used to draft legislation, implement policies, and encourage their adoption to improve the lives of the vast majority of Americans. Of course she has openly criticised the obscene greed and aggressively targeted the wealthy top 10%, being their worst nightmare if elected to the 1st or 2nd highest office in the nation.
    People lie Trump, Palin, McCain, Rand Paul & Ron Paul are fierce when it comes to the issues.
    Methinks that the American voter could do with quite a bit less fierce, uninformed, bigoted, and angry bluster mob psychology from the likes of Palin (2008 GOP VP nominee) and Trump (2016 GOP President candidate). Americans need substance to solve their domestic and international problems, not passionate bluster. Such passion only leads to Desert Storm and Shock and Awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Reckon Sanders can push Hilary close. Would be a sensational win if Sanders managed to catch her on the finish line. Long shot though. Hope Hilary gets Democratic ticket because the idea of Trump/Bush president is vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Reckon Sanders can push Hilary close. Would be a sensational win if Sanders managed to catch her on the finish line. Long shot though. Hope Hilary gets Democratic ticket because the idea of Trump/Bush president is vile!

Clinton is still very much in the box seat on the Democratic side for sure. However the latest polls have her lead over Sanders down to 13 points when it was as high as 59 during the summer. What will be interesting is if Biden gets in. He would instantly be a viable candidate and according to the most recent polls him getting in would take votes away from Clinton more then Sanders making it suddenly a much more close Democratic race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I know she's out there, but is Clinton campaigning as much, or is it just that there is momentum and visibility with Sanders? Maybe it's the lack of debates on this side that has me wondering.

eire4 wrote: »
    Clinton is still very much in the box seat on the Democratic side for sure. However the latest polls have her lead over Sanders down to 13 points when it was as high as 59 during the summer. What will be interesting is if Biden gets in. He would instantly be a viable candidate and according to the most recent polls him getting in would take votes away from Clinton more then Sanders making it suddenly a much more close Democratic race.

A question.... what are the chances of the current Democrats Hillary and Sanders winning the Southern States of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida.

I know she's out there, but is Clinton campaigning as much, or is it just that there is momentum and visibility with Sanders? Maybe it's the lack of debates on this side that has me wondering.
    It's still very early in the November 2016 presidential election process with months to go before the Democrat primary election and nominee selection. Sanders is the only Dem contender for Clinton at the moment, but if Biden joins the race then that would change the political landscape and competition would heat up. For some reason Elizabeth Warren is showing up a bit more on the national scene, and its been noted that Biden and Warren have been in closed door discussions. A Biden-Warren ticket might overcome the Clinton Machine during the primaries, but neither are declared today. Who knows what the morrow will bring?

A question.... what are the chances of the current Democrats Hillary and Sanders winning the Southern States of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida.
    President (and former Illinois US Senator) Obama took swing state Florida in 2012 with its 29 electoral votes, but if Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio are the 2016 GOP nominees the Dems might lose that key state. Louisiana with 8 ECs, Mississippi with 6 ECs, and Georgia with 16 ECs have tended to vote Red in recent elections, and it's doubtful they will vote Blue in the 2016 presidential election no matter who is nominated by GOP or Dems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The GOP look disjointed tbh. The Dems seem to be sleep walking into Hilary land which could backfire. Still think that Jeb would have the best chance of winning a national election but winning the nomination is another thing.

jank wrote: »
    The GOP look disjointed tbh. The Dems seem to be sleep walking into Hilary land which could backfire. Still think that Jeb would have the best chance of winning a national election but winning the nomination is another thing.
    The good news for Jeb Bush are the monies and connections of the Bush Dynasty, and the bad news is his association with his brother GW Bush (e.g., Great Recession, starting 2 longest wars in US history, doubling Fed deficit since Bill Clinton). If GOP nominated, can Jeb Bush win November 2016? It's still too far into the future in terms of the US presidential election cycle to tell today.

IMAGE is more than half the battle to win in November 2016. If nominated, Hillary Clinton needs to build upon her husband's ability to work both sides of the aisle towards compromise, as well as his economic record where the Fed deficit had been substantially reversed (the 1st time since Ronald Reagan doubled the Fed deficit, and the only time reversed since Reagan to present day). In an attempt to erode this positive association with the Bill Clinton administration, the GOP needs to resurrect White Water and Bill's sex scandal, make Bengazi a bigger incident that it was (4 Americans lost, compared to when thousands of Americans died during GW Bush's 9/11), while at the same time continuing to throw petrol on Hillary's emails, using that magic CT word "secrecy" this, and "secrecy" that. Image is almost everything in American politics, especially an entertaining image, not substance, as Trump has shown already many times this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I chuckle at the reports that Joe Biden might not get into the race. It was his people that put it out there that his son’s dying wish was to have him run for president. I’m guessing October 13 to jump into the race so he can compete in the first Democratic debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

I would say low for the first 4 states you mentioned. Florida though is up for grabs I think.

I would say low for the first 4 states you mentioned. Florida though is up for grabs I think.

Pity they should go for them those Southern States need a Democrat more than ever. Sure Bill came from Arkansas, Lyndon came from Texas and Carter came from Georgia. Just imagine a Louisiana Democrat if such a creature lives.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Amerika wrote: »
    I chuckle at the reports that Joe Biden might not get into the race. It was his people that put it out there that his son’s dying wish was to have him run for president. I’m guessing October 13 to jump into the race so he can compete in the first Democratic debate.

I chuckle when I think of the Ryan v Biden VP debate in 2012. An absolute masterpiece by Biden, he made Ryan look like a naughty child.

I really hope Biden runs, seriously the most entertaining Politician active today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I chuckle when I think of the Ryan v Biden VP debate in 2012. An absolute masterpiece by Biden, he made Ryan look like a naughty child.

Indeed Biden looked senior while Ryan sophomoric.
    Just imagine a Louisiana Democrat if such a creature lives.:D
    Once upon a time there was one that went from LA governor to US senator, namely the King Fish (Huey Long).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,836 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

will beget candidate responses:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Pity they should go for them those Southern States need a Democrat more than ever. Sure Bill came from Arkansas, Lyndon came from Texas and Carter came from Georgia. Just imagine a Louisiana Democrat if such a creature lives.:D

Obama won Florida so its certainly open.

And the other four have about 35 electoral votes so not a huge loss anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement