Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Brian? wrote: »
    I chuckle when I think of the Ryan v Biden VP debate in 2012. An absolute masterpiece by Biden, he made Ryan look like a naughty child.

I really hope Biden runs, seriously the most entertaining Politician active today.

Was that a poll by Clown College you saw that had Biden winning the debate? As I recall, it was mostly considered a tie, and uncommitted voters considered Ryan as winning the debate.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Indeed Biden looked senior while Ryan sophomoric.

Alzheimer's beats Facts & Figures? God help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,843 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Without a Super PAC, Bernie Sanders' campaign sits at over $40 million, mainly acquired from 1.3 million donations from 650 thousand Americans and an average contribution of about $30.

Clinton's own campaign emails have lately discussed the tight races in early poll states like New Hampshire. She has run over 60 fundraising events with price of entry around or at the $2,700 campaign contribution cap for individuals. Sanders has run fewer than 10 of these similar events.

Any myths that the Sanders campaign is fringe have been shown to be false.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Amerika wrote: »
    Was that a poll by Clown College you saw that had Biden winning the debate? As I recall, it was mostly considered a tie, and uncommitted voters considered Ryan as winning the debate.

A clown college. Hilarious.

It was my own eyes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Alzheimer's beats Facts & Figures? God help us.

Up the standard a bit, thank you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    Without a Super PAC, Bernie Sanders' campaign sits at over $40 million, mainly acquired from 1.3 million donations from 650 thousand Americans and an average contribution of about $30.
    It's been estimated that presidential 2016 will spend 1 billion USD mostly funded by PACs and Super PACS.

With the Koch's in it for $900 million, I wager that figure is a lot higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

Yesterdays latest update from Kochland.....pet project going well I see!!

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article37247115.html

Is Carly Fiorina’s star brightening? It’s reported now the Koch brothers, and other wealthy donors like T. Boone Pickens and venture capitalist Tom Perkins (with their estimated $1 billion donation and fundraising commitment) have put Firoina on the short list of candidates, along with Rubio, they may support. Having Fironia go up against Clinton certainly would draw some woman supporters from Clinton, and the Democratic mantra of the GOP’s war on women would be shot to hell.

So you're voting for a corporation, not a politician.

• Advertisement

So you're voting for a corporation, not a politician.
    No, a qualified woman.

You mean Koch Industries presents 'qualified woman'

You mean Koch Industries presents 'qualified woman'
    No, the brothers might just be backing a qualified woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I'd like to see Saunders win. I've listened to other candidates and he's the only one who makes sense. All the republican are idiots and Clinton is full of ****.

No, a qualified woman.

Qualified how? She has never held political office.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

Black Swan wrote: »
    It's been estimated that presidential 2016 will spend 1 billion USD mostly funded by PACs and Super PACS.

I think your under with that number. Last years 2014 midterm elections saw over $3 billion spent on buying politicans so given this is a presidential election cycle I would expect the amount of money used to buy politicans to be even higher.

Qualified how? She has never held political office.
    Holding political office is not a requirement in our Constitution to become President. She does have executive experience though. And the office of the President is the Executive branch of our government.

No, the brothers might just be backing a qualified woman.

Do you not see a problem with one entity (Koch) having that much political capital over her head, should she become president?

Holding political office is not a requirement in our Constitution to become President. She does have executive experience though. And the office of the President is the Executive branch of our government.

So no qualifications.

they/them/theirs

Do you not see a problem with one entity (Koch) having that much political capital over her head, should she become president?

How would it be different from any other presidential candidate (other than Trump)?

I have a much bigger problem with Unions and their donations. They back candidates run for political office, then negotiate contracts with the very people they put into office, or for unions in the public sector, rely on the politicians to enact union friendly legislation.

• Advertisement

How would it be different from any other presidential candidate (other than Trump)?

I have a much bigger problem with Unions and their donations. They back candidates run for political office, then negotiate contracts with the very people they put into office, or for unions in the public sector, rely on the politicians to enact union friendly legislation.

Unions at least represent workers. The Koch brothers represent themselves.

Unions are not the problem. That's right wing propaganda

they/them/theirs

So no qualifications.
    I don't understand your point. Executive experience in a large corporation with extensive negotiation duties, seems to be much better experience than a Senator or Congressman/Congressman, and about on par with a Governor, in seeking the Executive office.

Unions at least represent workers. The Koch brothers represent themselves.

Unions are not the problem. That's right wing propaganda
    And that's left wing propaganda.

What do you assume corporations do then, exactly? Are you saying they do not negotiate contracts and/or legislation favorable to them with politicians they keep in their wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

Ahh so union money is bad. But the massive Koch type money is no big deal. I see how that works.
    Reality is that as I have said many times before the current system is broken and simply does not serve the vast majority of the American people. The politicans in washington DC for the most part are bought and paid for by major corporations and wealthy individuals. They do not serve their constituents. That is why there needs to be a constitutional ammendment to ban all money be it union or corporate. Then maybe the US government can actually work for the people it is supposed to represent.

What do you assume corporations do then, exactly? Are you saying they do not negotiate contracts and/or legislation favorable to them with politicians they keep in their wallet?

No, I’m noting that both parties are guilty of influence peddling, not just the GOP. And Unions represent a far greater evil, especially in the public sector when they negotiate directly with the people they put into office.

And Unions represent a far greater evil, especially in the public sector when they negotiate directly with the people they put into office.
    What do you assume lobbying is?

I don't understand your point. Executive experience in a large corporation with extensive negotiation duties, seems to be much better experience than a Senator or Congressman/Congressman, and about on par with a Governor, in seeking the Executive office.

You think running a company for profit is the equivelant of running a state? That's insanity. A company has one goal: generate profit for the share holders.

How does running a company to generate profit equate to running a state for the well being of the citizens of said state? Now I know GOP governors haven't been doing a great job of this, but at least that's what they maintain their motivation is.

they/them/theirs

You think running a company for profit is the equivelant of running a state? That's insanity. A company has one goal: generate profit for the share holders.

How does running a company to generate profit equate to running a state for the well being of the citizens of said state? Now I know GOP governors haven't been doing a great job of this, but at least that's what they maintain their motivation is.
    Sure. The stockholders of a company are the equivalent to "the people" in government.

• Advertisement

What do you assume lobbying is?
    It is quite different from people who are both the employee of, and the boss of, the person in government for which they put into office and bargain with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement