Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Julieanne Moore on TF1 Friday, was asked if she was the Hillary Clinton of the acting world, she said she hoped not as Hillary wasn't someone you would want to vote for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ben Carson caught telling strange tales again:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Thargor wrote: »

Some of the things he has been caught bs'ing about are just bizzare. Especially the tough guy beating up others when he was a kid bs. The most bizzare and funny though is the rap ad he has been playing.
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/11/hate-listen-to-ben-carsons-new-rap-song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,892 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Carson has also said he "does not remember" scrutiny of Obamas past :rolleyes:

The MSNBC Democratic Forum tonight was a vastly different atmosphere to recent debates. O'Malley came off decently; Clinton tried to plug the name of every famous black person that has died in every recent tragedy - from the NYC chokehold guy, to Trayvon Martin, to this weeks shooting in cold blood of a young boy - like she was droning off a checklist. She spoke a lot of waffle but really didn't hammer any key points, especially in contrast to Bernie Sanders who it should come as no real surprise provided the same consistent message he's carried throughout the entire campaign. He took the forum which largely was aimed for the African American audience as an opportunity to inform voters that he's been fighting for civil rights for decades: starting sit-ins in his 20s to end campus segregation and marching alongside Dr. King, an slamming Republicans for voter rights. When voter turnout in the country is so low, why would anyone ever need to as republicans have claimed, 'bring in Mexican votes' when it would be far more apt to energize existing voters; saying 'I would never infringe on voter rights because. Was worried people would vote against me'. He also came off well on personal questions - but between him and other candidates he dropped more clear, concise takeaways backed up with facts/claims (there is 51% unemployment among black high school graduates ages 18-21). In contrast Clinton was all over the place and used terminology that didn't seem to resonate with the audience when trying to discuss substance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thargor wrote: »

Ben Carson's earlier claims that he had been offered a West Point scholarship represents more of his story telling that makes for poor fiction. Makes me wonder how many of his stories used to provide a basis for presidential competency are fiction too? He is becoming less credible as time goes on, yet he remains a front runner along with Trump, way ahead of his other GOP competitors in the polls. Makes me wonder if the greatest story teller will win the Republican nomination for November 2016?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    Carson has also said he "does not remember" scrutiny of Obamas past :rolleyes:
    Ask a birther that question, or someone claiming that Obama did not graduate from Columbia University. Beginning with Obama's birth all the way until his election as President in 2008 Obama's past had received scrutiny (including from currently running GOP candidate and birther Trump).

Exactly. Records were sealed, reporters weren't able to "uncover" anything like is happening with Carson but that does not mean nobody tried, or reported on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

Amerika wrote: »
    Yes I'm fine with it. It’s part of the reason why the US, in a little over 200 years, has become the beacon for the world; and has excelled in opportunity, might, compassion, innovation, technology and medicine... to list just a few.
    Compassion?-tell that to Chile,BrazilGreece,Guyana,Iran,Syria,Equador,Cuba,Nicaragua,Panama,Honduras,Haiti,Dominican Republic,Guatemala....etc etc

"You can operate for 10, 15, 18 hours on a kid, and if you're successful, the reward may be 50, 60, 70 years of life. Whereas with an old geezer, you spend all that time, and they die in five years of something else! So, you see, Monica and I, we like to get a good return on investment."

-“You said Obamacare was the worst thing since slavery. Why do you think it was worse than 9/11?”
    “Because 9/11 is an isolated incident.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sht-ben-carson-says-the-complete-collection/#0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's actually quite a clever answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

eire4 wrote: »
    Ouch some very scary numbers there particuarly that 42% of Americans believe that god created humans 10,000 years ago.

Absolutely, when a good Irishman like Archbishop Ussher calculated that God created humans only 6000 years ago. Everything is bigger in America, especially bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Black Swan wrote: »
    Ben Carson's earlier claims that he had been offered a West Point scholarship represents more of his story telling that makes for poor fiction. Makes me wonder how many of his stories used to provide a basis for presidential competency are fiction too? He is becoming less credible as time goes on, yet he remains a front runner along with Trump, way ahead of his other GOP competitors in the polls. Makes me wonder if the greatest story teller will win the Republican nomination for November 2016?

I dunno, if we use Hillary Clinton as a measure, the more lies and made up stories you tell seems to make one more credible for president. :)

It would be morbidly hilarious if it was in the Nein 11 forum and not being expressed by a POTUS candidate as a legitimate argument. Previously he had also said,

"You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery"

Does he not remember the 20th century? Must have never taken a piss in a colored toilet - which might explain his stance on transgender bathrooms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I dunno, if we use Hillary Clinton as a measure [...]
    Or as it more often the case, use her as a whatabout, and a tired Fox News talking point.

I dunno, if we use Hillary Clinton as a measure, the more lies and made up stories you tell seems to make one more credible for president.

No but politically attacking her with a committee-for-show is going to win her sympathy votes, and lose republicans votes for abusing congressional function for political spin.

I dunno, if we use Hillary Clinton as a measure, the more lies and made up stories you tell seems to make one more credible for president. :)
    To what extent does referring to a political opponent excuse Ben Carson for exhibiting an extraordinary measure of personal history revisionism, in a spurious and obvious attempt to make himself look good for the 2016 presidential election?

What are Carson's qualifications to be the chief executive of the largest and most complex economy on Earth? Further, what are Carson's qualifications for being Commander in Chief of the most powerful and expensive military in the world? Furthermore, what are Carson's qualifications and experiences that would suggest that he can foster compromise between the two dysfunctional parties and their office holders in US Congress? And lastly, can we examine Carson's specific qualifications to see if he is qualified? In doing this, can we forget his opponents for one moment and address if Carson is qualified himself to be president?

Ben Carson was "the director of pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, a position he has held since 1984, and a professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatric medicine." Although Carson was a highly qualified neurosurgeon for 30 years before retiring 2013, how does this qualify him for 2016 president?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 therabbittest

To what extent does referring to a political opponent excuse Ben Carson for exhibiting an extraordinary measure of personal history revisionism, in a spurious and obvious attempt to make himself look good for the 2016 presidential election?

What are Carson's qualifications to be the chief executive of the largest and most complex economy on Earth?

Although Carson was a highly qualified neurosurgeon for 30 years before retiring 2013, how does this qualify him for 2016 president?

It doesn't at all, and I feel that will become abundantly clear as the race continues. He's been making Trump seem down to earth and common-sense making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

At this same time in 2012, Herman Cain was leading in the polls.

Just saying.

Shucky Ducky.

• Advertisement

No but politically attacking her with a committee-for-show is going to win her sympathy votes, and lose republicans votes for abusing congressional function for political spin.
    I don't know about that. The Republicans didn't make her lie. She did that all on her lonesome. And her trustworthiness rating remains in the crapper.

What are Carson's qualifications to be the chief executive of the largest and most complex economy on Earth? Further, what are Carson's qualifications for being Commander in Chief of the most powerful and expensive military in the world? Furthermore, what are Carson's qualifications and experiences that would suggest that he can foster compromise between the two dysfunctional parties and their office holders in US Congress? And lastly, can we examine Carson's specific qualifications to see if he is qualified? In doing this, can we forget his opponents for one moment and address if Carson is qualified himself to be president?

Ben Carson was "the director of pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, a position he has held since 1984, and a professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatric medicine." Although Carson was a highly qualified neurosurgeon for 30 years before retiring 2013, how does this qualify him for 2016 president?

I doesn't excuse Carson. But it does point out the hypocrisy of those who feel Carson should not be president if he lied to the American people, yet give Hillary Clinton, the apparent pathological liar, a pass. I don't think Hillary Clinton should be president because of it, and if the recent stories about Carson lying are true, then I won't support or defend him either. Can ya'll say the same (with a straight face)?

What qualification does Carson have? Well, all that are Constitutionally needed. But the most important part to the president is who will he surround himself as advisers, and will he make sound decisions.

And the bar for qualifications you noted have been severely lowered thanks to the the guy we now have in office. I can't believe any Democratic supporter would dare question someone's qualifications after 2008 with a one term do-nothing Senator.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Absolutely. It will be on important matters, dull, and a ratings disaster. But it will be the most informative debate to date of either party. Cuvato will be tough, challenging, fair, and won't let anyone get away with anything. This is the debate the GOP candidates better be boned up and ready to explain their policies.

Did anyone see the Democratic debate the other day on MSNBC? Did anyone even know there was a Democratic debate on MSNBC? ;)

What qualification does Carson have? Well, all that are Constitutionally needed. But the most important part to the president is who will he surround himself as advisers, and will he make sound decisions.
    Carson has been a surgeon for the past 30 years, ending with his retirement 2013. He has absolutely no qualifications (education, demonstrated skills, or experiences) to be Chief of the Executive Branch, CIC of military, or expertise in representing the USA in international relations and negotiations with over 200 countries. That means at this moment in time he is completely incompetent, and must "surround himself with advisers." If the advisers are competent, why not elect them instead of Carson?

No, you are reading more into my statement than intended. The President is the chief executive of the Executive Branch of US government. The scale and complexity of that position are associated with the national GDP, military, international relations, etc., providing a measure of structural differentiation between nations and associated leadership positions (Max Weber; Peter Blau).
    To my knowledge, there are no purely free market or free trade governments today, so this is an economic and philosophical dream and not a reality in practice; e.g., the USA is loaded with regulations, etc., that restrict free markets and trade.

The Executive (presidency) and Congressional branches of US government influence US business models, but are only one of a multiplicity of inputs in an open system. The presidency and congress can foster or restrict business growth and development to some extent with taxes, regulations, subsidies, research grants, balance of trade agreements, trade embargoes, etc.
    It's still early for the November 2016 presidential election process, so we will see what develops.

I don't know about that. The Republicans didn't make her lie. She did that all on her lonesome. And her trustworthiness rating remains in the crapper.

Among some demographics absolutely. Among others it hasn't hurt her at all, and in others it has helped her. That has to be acknowledged as well.

Among some demographics absolutely. Among others it hasn't hurt her at all, and in others it has helped her. That has to be acknowledged as well.
    I acknowledge her lying has helped her with some demographics... Lobbyists, special interests, unions, criminals, illegal aliens and rapists. Her peeps?

Did anyone see the Democratic debate the other day on MSNBC? Did anyone even know there was a Democratic debate on MSNBC? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97645732&postcount=2375
    I acknowledge her lying has helped her with some demographics... Lobbyists, special interests, unions, criminals, illegal aliens and rapists. Her peeps?

I'm going to just stop a moment and ask if you really think there is a rapist demographic that is voting for Clinton and additionally if you really think that level of conversational smegma that you've been promoting with your last couple posts is what you feel is appropriate for this forum? I'm here to talk like an adult, to other adults.
    Amerika wrote:
    This is the debate the GOP candidates better be boned up and ready to explain their policies.
    Don't hold your breath. If this isn't the debate where they don't stop attacking each other, they're going to tune out the voters that have tuned in up to now. I don't know if they're more closely following their poll numbers or their viewership ratings. I'm honestly not sure which one they care about more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

they all lie but the Republicans have really brought it to a new level-they're sublime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement