Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Throw it on the pile of conflicts of interest, IMO. Hilary Clinton is bought and paid for by corporate interests, just like nearly every other candidate. I was really hoping that the Dems would come up a decent alternative to Hilary, but it's too late now. Her anti Wall Street rhetoric, what little of it there is, is empty rhetoric. She won't change a thing, she'll be a friend to hedge fund managers like yourself.

Having said that, she is still a more desirable candidate than any of the GOP gang because of her liberal stance on social issues. Hilary should be more desirable to the libertarians as well, she's fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Or is she too heavy on the crony capitalism for libertarians?

i'm still shocked you donate to the faux libertarian Rand Paul. Did you not find the announcement in front of a war ship off putting?

o-RAND-PAUL-facebook.jpg

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I think we can both agree Clinton isn't a liberal, conservative or libertarian. She's a political machine who's only goal is to be elected as far as I can see.

No, I found it amusing!

Why?

they/them/theirs

No one. Straight hypocrisy if you ask me.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Overheal wrote: »

Well, that's 1. And I'm rather impressed with that.
    I'm going to just stop a moment and ask if you really think there is a rapist demographic that is voting for Clinton and additionally if you really think that level of conversational smegma that you've been promoting with your last couple posts is what you feel is appropriate for this forum? I'm here to talk like an adult, to other adults.

I can somewhat understand and forgive those not from the US for not getting the reference, but you as a US citizen, I surely thought would. And Eileen Wellstone, Juanita Broaddrick, Carolyn Moffet, Elizabeth Ward, Paula Corbin, Sandra Allen James, Christy Zerche, and Kathleen Willey (some of the women who have come forward with accusations of sexual assault and some charges, including Paula Jones sexual harassment suit against Bill Clinton that eventually led to his impeachment and disbarment) I believe certainly would. I think we can all agree that Bill would be supporting Hillary, correct? And Hillary Clinton has a history of enabling her husband’s predatory behavior, usually through her surrogates, by attacking and humiliating those who have come forward with allegations and filed charges. I think it is also fair to contend that rapists would support someone who hired detectives, to gather information on the women, and then used the information to “run a terror campaign to intimidate victims into silence.”

It’s all a matter of public record and will again be in the news with her run for the presidency. In case you didn’t know, Kathleen Willey has already launched an anti-Hillary Clinton website titled “A Scandal A Day.” Check it out... http://www.ascandaladay.com/

It’s all part of the US political process. You may not like it, but it’s the kind of thing that you’ll be hearing in the run-up to the election, and the kind of thing that resonates with many the voter.
    Don't hold your breath. If this isn't the debate where they don't stop attacking each other, they're going to tune out the voters that have tuned in up to now. I don't know if they're more closely following their poll numbers or their viewership ratings. I'm honestly not sure which one they care about more.
    We'll know in a few short hours. And of course they will be going after one another on policy issues. They're running against each other at the moment.

And at the current time the best tax plans come from Trump, Cruz and Fiorina IMO. I hope the debate gets into them in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Absolutely, when a good Irishman like Archbishop Ussher calculated that God created humans only 6000 years ago. Everything is bigger in America, especially bollix.

Haha I could not have put it better myself. American exceptionalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Amerika wrote: »
    Absolutely. It will be on important matters, dull, and a ratings disaster. But it will be the most informative debate to date of either party. Cuvato will be tough, challenging, fair, and won't let anyone get away with anything. This is the debate the GOP candidates better be boned up and ready to explain their policies.

Did anyone see the Democratic debate the other day on MSNBC? Did anyone even know there was a Democratic debate on MSNBC? ;)

I did know and watched it yes.

eire4 wrote: »
    I did know and watched it yes.

That makes 2. More than I expected. I wasn’t aware of it and missed it. I’ve looked on cable TV for a replay but haven’t found it... yet.

Will you be watching the GOP debate tonight? Probably the best and most informative GOP debate will be on display tonight on the Fox Business Network. Neil Cavuto, Maria Bartiromo and Wall Street Journal editor Gerard Baker will be on point, fair, challenging and won’t let the candidates get away anything. We'll see some tough questions about economic policy, nothing about a comic book candidacy, and far from some softball debates the Democrats are accustomed to. So, if you want a to see a circus put on for ratings, I’d suggest you skip this debate. But if you want to see a real debate on economic policy where the candidates better come prepared, then this is the one to catch.

I’m not fond of FBN not including Chris Cristie in the debate. I thought for sure his little bump in the polls would have gotten him on stage. Won’t be voting for him but would have liked hearing what he had to say on economic policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote:
    Shuck Ducky.

****. Now he has arisen again.

Amerika wrote:
    I can somewhat understand and forgive those not from the US for not getting the reference, but you as a US citizen, I surely thought would. And Eileen Wellstone, Juanita Broaddrick, Carolyn Moffet, Elizabeth Ward, Paula Corbin, Sandra Allen James, Christy Zerche, and Kathleen Willey (some of the women who have come forward with accusations of sexual assault and some charges, including Paula Jones sexual harassment suit against Bill Clinton that eventually led to his impeachment and disbarment) I believe certainly would. I think we can all agree that Bill would be supporting Hillary, correct? And Hillary Clinton has a history of enabling her husband’s predatory behavior, usually through her surrogates, by attacking and humiliating those who have come forward with allegations and filed charges. I think it is also fair to contend that rapists would support someone who hired detectives, to gather information on the women, and then used the information to “run a terror campaign to intimidate victims into silence.”

It’s all a matter of public record and will again be in the news with her run for the presidency. In case you didn’t know, Kathleen Willey has already launched an anti-Hillary Clinton website titled “A Scandal A Day.” Check it out... http://www.ascandaladay.com/

It’s all part of the US political process. You may not like it, but it’s the kind of thing that you’ll be hearing in the run-up to the election, and the kind of thing that resonates with many the voter.
    Try and remember that I was still a kid when the Clinton scandal happened. I didn't become interested in politics until after 9/11.

Similarly people use the term "drinking the kool-aid" which to an older demographic relates to an historic case example.

In either case, it can be shown that such phrases easily get conflated especially with people who have a less mature grasp of politics or simply aren't read up on those examples. In a lot of cases if you said Hillary must be popular among rapists, we could probably do a show of hands how many people would innately understand what you meant, vs. how many people would ask you to repeat the statement and expand on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What time is the debate on Irish time and will it be on the tele?

Great debate going on right now between the "B" team. Hope the "A" team debate is just as focused.

Sheesh Santorum, I know you memorized this speech-answer you're giving but don't speak at the speed of the terms and conditions on a radio commercial. Jindal too.

Also I'm 'sure' that 6yr old Reese has a firm grasp on the issues.

I will say this though, it is clear that both parties talk about the need for jobs and job creation. I think bipartisanship could be achieved on the Protecting Our Students and Taxpayers act: bringing the 90/10 funding rule for colleges back to 85/15, and very importantly it would now include the GI bill as part of the 85%. Diploma-mills have created a generation of "graduates" that don't have the skills to roll up their sleeves and start a small business - they're making the biscuits at Chik-Fil-A. The GI loophole allows for schools to seek $9 in federal funding for every $1 they bring in from GI bill students.

Also good on FBN to stream it free, unlike the paywall for previous debates..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Thrice

Trump vehemently against the Trans Pacific Partnership. Him and Sanders agree there 100%. Both want common sense trade agreements, or none at all. Says the deal gives a backdoor to China to exert regulations on us.. then, Trump gets burned on stage by Rand Paul because China is not a signatory of the TPP. However, the potential future members are in blue here...

TPP_enlargement.png

So you tell me: when Trump says the deal gives a backdoor to China, you would have to largely agree his statement is mostly true.

Fiorina tried to convey her tax plan, she basically pulled it off. I don't see it ever happening though because in her budget plan money could be moved at whim, eg. in 2017 the VA could get $150bn and then the next it could get $30bn, throwing it off-kilter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Watched the debate.

"Last week I met a women who told me that–"

No you didn't. Literally nobody believes that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12 JulianSNZ

I really can't see anyone other than Clinton taking this. All the Republicans are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Apparently the wifi password for the media at the debate was stophillary. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

JulianSNZ wrote: »
    I really can't see anyone other than Clinton taking this. All the Republicans are idiots.

I don't think Hillary is all that likeable.

If it is Hillary versus Trump. You will have:

Hillary who is all for using the US military abroad.
    Trump who said the US can't afford to be the world's police and it is why they have a 19 trillion dollar debt, and if Russia wants to go after ISIS let them.

Hillary Clinton is beatable.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 JulianSNZ

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't think Hillary is all that likeble.

Trump who said the US can't afford to be the world's police and it is why they have a 19 trillion dollar debt, and if Russia wants to go after ISIS let them.

I'm of the opinion that Trump will not go the distance in this race. I feel he is using it as a massive publicity stunt, And he's not really serious about being president.

But I actually agree with that viewpoint, that the US should not be the worlds police and that The Russians should be left to deal with ISIS.

But that's not part of the US military industrial complex. They will do what ever it takes to maintain their influence, To the point that they will indirectly back ISIS to appose Putin and Assad.

Rubio scored best in the debate and will probably be proclaimed the winner. Ryan also did well going back to his Libertarian roots. With the early debate, Christie had a good showing, as did Jindal. Trump and Carson didn’t show much substance on the economy issues other than tax plans. Bush failed to impress, but his financial backing will probably keep him in for the long run hoping some miracle happens. Fiorina is probably hoping for a VP shot as of now. And one thing was evident... every one the GOP candidates showed they would make a better president than Clinton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

... every one the GOP candidates showed they would make a better president than Clinton.

Doing this from my phone so don't have access to all the emojis but

Roll eyes 👀 roll eyes, roll eyes. That's all I'm going to say about that.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rubio scored best in the debate and will probably be proclaimed the winner. Ryan also did well going back to his Libertarian roots. With the early debate, Christie had a good showing, as did Jindal. Trump and Carson didn’t show much substance on the economy issues other than tax plans. Bush failed to impress, but his financial backing will probably keep him in for the long run hoping some miracle happens. Fiorina is probably hoping for a VP shot as of now. And one thing was evident... every one the GOP candidates showed they would make a better president than Clinton.

Some of them could be nearly as good as GWB.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Doing this from my phone so don't have access to all the emojis but

Roll eyes 👀 roll eyes, roll eyes. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Surely you jest. Hillary’s policies will drive more businesses out of the country, will raise the unemployment rate, will cause a decrease in middle class average wages, will cause the government to become even bigger, will increase taxes, will cause higher deficits through increased spending, increase entitlements without any way to pay for them, decrease our international standing, and fail to address the debt and it’s growing required interest payments. The majority of her plans will be an Obama third term. And if you haven’t noticed Obama’s failure as president gave the House, and then the Senate, (all of Congress) back to the GOP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't think Hillary is all that likeable.

She's indeed not likeable, but she is a hardcore politician who knows how to play the people. Like the rest she flip flops on ideological issues whatever the public opinion tells her, but she's damn good at faking it.

She will wipe the floor with every Republican candidate when it really comes down to it.
    The likes of Trump say stupid stuff for every sentence they say that sounds ok.

For example what you mentioned: It does make sense that the US needs to stop being world police, but he's also in favour of boycotting Starbucks due to their war on Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement