Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Exactly, so you want a candidate who has views you share. That's fine. My problem was saying you wanted a candidate with 'strong views, opinions' etc. because that means nothing; every candidate has strong views and opinions, you just mightn't agree with them.

I thought that was implied by my original post. Read the first line.
    KenjiOdo wrote: »
    I hope Trump wins.

A Superpower needs someone like him in office with strong views, ideals & opinions!

You've gone about dissecting my post(s) for some unknown reason. You've also gone on to try equate him as Hitler/Stalin/ISIS, twice now?
    Honestly, who cares if nobody heard of Obama before he ran for president? I honestly didn't know of Merkel, Putin, Hollande, Xi Jinping or any other world leader (aside from Cameron) before they became leaders of their country, and the fact I didn't (and I tend to follow politics a fair bit) means nothing in terms of their stature.

Germany is not a superpower. Neither is the UK or France. Russia/China?
    Besides, Trump is not a man of stature. His notoriety comes from the fact that he hosted the apprentice, got a massive inheritance from his rich father and tends to piss off people wherever he goes. He also was on WWE a few years back where he bodyslammed Vince McMahon.

He's an entertainer and a clown and regardless of the the fact that he's a massive racist, liar, bully and just a general asshole, he's just not a man of stature who I'd be proud to represent my country.

Trump has conquered the business world. Worth a considerable amount of money, and I'm sure he has sway with a lot of (important) people. Unless you have personal first-experience with his personality/demeanour/attitude, I'd imagine some of that is hearsay. Who are you to deny his stature, Bill Gates? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I thought that was implied by my original post. Read the first line.

You've gone about dissecting my post(s) for some unknown reason. You've also gone on to try equate him as Hitler/Stalin/ISIS, twice now?

Germany is not a superpower. Neither is the UK or France. Russia/China?

Trump has conquered the business world. Worth a considerable amount of money, and I'm sure he has sway with a lot of (important) people. Unless you have personal first-experience with his personality/demeanour/attitude, I'd imagine some of that is hearsay. Who are you to deny his stature, Bill Gates? :rolleyes:

Trump has "conquered the business world"? He inhereted a billion dollars and managed not to lose it all. He has conquered nothing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Trump has "conquered the business world"? He inhereted a billion dollars and managed not to lose it all. He has conquered nothing.

he lost it alright (most) then made back 10..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What part of it exactly are you implying is hearsay?

he lost it alright (most) then made back 10..

Made 10 billion? He's only worth 4. If he'd stuck his inherence in a deposit account he'd bet better off. So what did he conquer?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Made 10 billion? He's only worth 4. If he'd stuck his inherence in a deposit account he'd bet better off. So what did he conquer?

$10B is from the horses mouth, he was down to around $40M. Where's your source?

If's & but's...

If's & but's...

Would you care to respond to my earlier question?

Nodin wrote: »
    What part of it exactly are you implying is hearsay?

Did you read my post in reply to MightyMandarin?
    Unless you have personal first-experience with his personality/demeanour/attitude, I'd imagine some of that is hearsay.

Did you read my post in reply to MightyMandarin?

I did. He stated

"Besides, Trump is not a man of stature. His notoriety comes from the fact that he hosted the apprentice, got a massive inheritance from his rich father and tends to piss off people wherever he goes. He also was on WWE a few years back where he bodyslammed Vince McMahon.

He's an entertainer and a clown and regardless of the the fact that he's a massive racist, liar, bully and just a general asshole, he's just not a man of stature who I'd be proud to represent my country."

What contained in these two paragraphs are you implying is hearsay?

Would you care to respond to my earlier question?

Why did you quote a post directed at another poster's post, demanding an answer ?

Some people...

• Advertisement

I did. He stated

"Besides, Trump is not a man of stature. His notoriety comes from the fact that he hosted the apprentice, got a massive inheritance from his rich fatherand tends to piss off people wherever he goes. He also was on WWE a few years back where he bodyslammed Vince McMahon.

He's an entertainer and a clown and regardless of the the fact that he's a massive racist, liar, bully and just a general asshole, he's just not a man of stature who I'd be proud to represent my country."

What contained in these two paragraphs are you implying is hearsay?

I didn't think we were speaking legalese around these parts..

I didn't think we were speaking legalese around these parts..

One could easily opine, based on his mannerisms and general attitude displayed in recorded appearances that he is a 'clown'. One can say without any hesitation that he seems to be a racist or xenophobe of some sort, unless you think hes play the Mexican and Muslim cards only to appeal to racists and xenophobes, which is not exactly a recommendation of his character.

As to lying, he most certainly has done so - lies about "black" crime, NJ crowds celebrating the twin towers destruction, the number of Syrians being taken into America and who knows what else.

One could easily opine, based on his mannerisms and general attitude displayed in recorded appearances that he is a 'clown'. One can say without any hesitation that he seems to be a racist or xenophobe of some sort, unless you think hes play the Mexican and Muslim cards only to appeal to racists and xenophobes, which is not exactly a recommendation of his character.

As to lying, he most certainly has done so - lies about "black" crime, NJ crowds celebrating the twin towers destruction, the number of Syrians being taken into America and who knows what else.

You can say a lot about how things seem to be. Are you actually calling him racist and/or xenophobic or not?

"tends to piss off people wherever he goes." "just a general asshole" - These arguments are fact? I don't see why, unless you have experience first-hand with the man.

You can say a lot about how things seem to be. Are you actually calling him racist and/or xenophobic or not?

Yes, indeed I am, as well as a liar. As to the more abusive terms, they can be interchanged with "racist/xenophobe" or used in combination for a good rounded character assessment.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

These arguments are fact? I don't see why, unless you have experience first-hand with the man.

Hang on - are you claiming that you can't form an opinion on someone unless you've personally met them?

Can I take it that you have no opinions as to the characters of historical figures?

If's & but's...

My source is Forbes. I'd trust them a hell of a lot more than Trump.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hang on - are you claiming that you can't form an opinion on someone unless you've personally met them?
    To be fair, that is the way Humans have evolved to interpret and judge leaders. At least according to a book I'm reading "Political Animals" by Sherman. We seem to have all the data in the World at our fingertypes about various politicians, but this is often a carefully crafted persona designed to appeal to the widest voter selector base. Thus the truly best way to form an opinion, is to met or interact with them.

Manach wrote: »
    To be fair, that is the way Humans have evolved to interpret and judge leaders. At least according to a book I'm reading "Political Animals" by Sherman. We seem to have all the data in the World at our fingertypes about various politicians, but this is often a carefully crafted persona designed to appeal to the widest voter selector base. Thus the truly best way to form an opinion, is to met or interact with them.

....an easy enough task, as long as none of us are either Muslim, Mexican, Black, Syrian, Female or have any appearance that would cause us to be mistaken for any of the same.

....an easy enough task, as long as none of us are either Muslim, Mexican, Black, Syrian, Female or have any appearance that would cause us to be mistaken for any of the same.

Pardon while I take the requisite time to parse the full measure of non sequiturs inherent in that non-answer.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That would be great, but there are almost 200 million registered voters in the US. How many of them will get to meet or interact with any, never mind all, of the candidates?

• Advertisement

Which is perhaps an issue with the development of so much power inherent in the state and the problem of emotionally investing in politicians whose sole aim is to get and hold onto office. The book does suggest as an alternative means increasing civic and voter engagement by getting them to look at facts that might break the ideological log-jam. But the hunter-gather bias that is part of all voters makes this a difficult task and actually being part of a meeting/event hosted by the candidate is a better means than most means to gauge someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Which is perhaps an issue with the development of so much power inherent in the state and the problem of emotionally investing in politicians whose sole aim is to get and hold onto office. The book does suggest as an alternative means increasing civic and voter engagement by getting them to look at facts that might break the ideological log-jam. But the hunter-gather bias that is part of all voters makes this a difficult task and actually being part of a meeting/event hosted by the candidate is a better means than most means to gauge someone.

There are two possibilities. Either Trump meant what he said or he said it and was willing to say it to get into power to appeal the lowest common denominator. Either way I have more than enough information to judge the man as complete scum.

Also surely meeting someone means you are more influenced by their demeanour, they an put a false image forward in person as well as to the media. I have what he said, there is no realistic reason that means he could say what he said and not be scum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ABC News/Wash Post polls present a different picture from the earlier NBC/WSJ polls mentioned a few posts earlier. Another reason why you should be very cautious about using the RCP average of different polls by different polling organisations using different methodologies; NBC/WSJ showed Trump and Cruz fairly close, while ABC News/Wash Post shows them far apart.

Between 16-19 November and 10-13 December, Trump climbed from 32 to 38%, while Cruz leaped from 8 to 15%, although this recent Cruz 15% was considerably less than half of Trump's 38%.

@ Christy42, I was not thinking specifically of Trump, more on the examples the source used: John Edwards & Richard Nixon. While not mentioned, offhand I'd say the Lincoln v Douglas style debates, where the candidates criss-crossed the State and were viewable by the public so as to act as a means to better present themselves. This would be better template than the scripted image that has been developed by the PR-types and political consultants that all canditates now surround themselves with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

@ Christy42, I was not thinking specifically of Trump, more on the examples the source used: John Edwards & Richard Nixon. While not mentioned, offhand I'd say the Lincoln v Douglas style debates, where the candidates criss-crossed the State and were viewable by the public so as to act as a means to better present themselves. This would be better template than the scripted image that has been developed by the PR-types and political consultants that all canditates now surround themselves with.

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Possibly it might help or at least make a scripted image harder to maintain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Can we cut calling Trump or any other candidates scum and stuff like that. Thread is becoming a bit heated and that stuff doesn't help. Thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Is the debate on presently? And can I watch it anywhere?

edit: got it

BOHtox wrote: »
    Is the debate on presently? And can I watch it anywhere?

edit: got it

A summary here, for those interested.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35106659

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

My source is Forbes. I'd trust them a hell of a lot more than Trump.

Because a journo knows more about the mans finances then himself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A summary here, for those interested.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35106659
    Too late now but the Guardians liveblog is always way more entertaining imo:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/dec/15/cnn-republican-presidential-debate-december-15

That's the last time Ill bother going to work with a fuzzy head the next morning for the sake of a US debate I think, they're all the same now, nobody called on their bullsh1t makes it too frustrating to watch and the questions are so softball the candidates just take them as cues to crap out another populist soundbite that has basically nothing to do with what was asked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement