Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into teaching short dev courses

Options
  • 01-10-2014 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm an experienced front-end developer with 10+ years experience. I work for a large bank and we get on-site training that lasts 3-4 days.

So far this year we have done HTML5 and developing for mobile. These courses were great and i'd be interested in becoming an instructor.

What i am wondering is whether special qualifications are required to do this? I have a Bachelor Degree in IT but no special teaching qualifications.

Any info welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

grahamor wrote: »
    What i am wondering is whether special qualifications are required to do this?

The short answer is no, teaching qualifications are not needed.

However, if you were to teach courses that are part of a certification, you would have to have the certification itself, and possibly an extra certification-specific train-the-trainer type cert. It all depends on the vendor.

The last time I looked into it, my Oracle Certified Professional qualification permitted me to teach a certain number of Oracle courses (admittedly, this was a few years back). However, I recall some other professional certifications required the equivalent of certified professional status, plus a certified trainer status.

Have a look at some private colleges - with evening courses starting over the next few weeks, they are always looking for part-time staff, especially for more general courses. You get your foot in the door, plus a chance to earn some extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the info.

I might do the Microsoft programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 MCSD certification before i start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Yes. I'd suggest doing a train the trainer course. Very easy and gives you some of the background.

What courses are you thinking of training in, I currently run my own training business started just over a year ago and going very well.

I Mosty do project management, agile and scrum training but always interested to meet good trainers and finding new opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Hi onedmc,

I'm thinking of doing HTML5/CSS3 and mobile development.

Demand for good UI developers is really strong and will continue IMO.

Can you PM me info about your company please ?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

I think it is a good idea, I know a few companies that are finding it very difficult to find front end mobile app developers

• Advertisement
Advertisement