Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Mortgage Penalties

Options
  • 01-10-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

I am hoping to be in a position to clear my mortgage by early next year. Last year end balance was 300K, so should be 290K or so come then. Does anyone know if I arrive to the bank with the balance owed on the a/c can I close the mortgage or would there typically be any penalties for closing early? I will have 28 years left on the mortgage at this stage. Am meeting the bank next week just want to be as forearmed as possible

thanks

Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hi All

I am hoping to be in a position to clear my mortgage by early next year. Last year end balance was 300K, so should be 290K or so come then. Does anyone know if I arrive to the bank with the balance owed on the a/c can I close the mortgage or would there typically be any penalties for closing early? I will have 28 years left on the mortgage at this stage. Am meeting the bank next week just want to be as forearmed as possible

thanks

Noel

did you win the lotto :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

HA, I wish, suppose if I did I wouldn't be worried about penalties

there will be penalties if its a fixed rate only

It's variable, just found this actually and looking at my statement from last year below is exactly what happened. so should be good then, thanks Mick

EBS changes effective June 1st 2013:
    - Owner occupier standard variable rate will increase by 0.25% from 4.33% to 4.58%

It's variable, just found this actually and looking at my statement from last year below is exactly what happened. so should be good then, thanks Mick

EBS changes effective June 1st 2013:
    - Owner occupier standard variable rate will increase by 0.25% from 4.33% to 4.58%

should be good to go so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

If it hasen't been said, congrats on finishing the mortgage.

Now can i have a lend of some money :D

ha- well will be selling up where I am and moving down to sticks so will be hoping to build for half what my current mortgage is late next year- so not quite out of the woods yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

Don't just rock up to the bank with your wheelbarrow of cash ;) , notify them in advance and ask them to tell you the closing balance. otherwise, there may be an element of interest that had not yet been added and you will have a final deduction after you had thought you had cleared the lot.

Steven

Thanks, I emailed them earlier with all the details, rather than having to go through all on the phone first time and am awaiting a call back tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Don't forget to get back your deeds. There will be a small charge by bank to release same.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks Trish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

If you have a mortgage then your bank has the deeds and will release them to your solicitor prior to selling and the solicitor will be the one who gets the funds from the house sale and pays off the bank. You won't even see the funds to clear the mortgage :)

Advertisement