Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

920xt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

GLONASS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    GLONASS

GPS Enabled - Yes
    GLONASS - Yes

so i wonder does it really have both, or are they assuming most people will use GPS as a catch all phrase for a positioning mechanism.

if it's only GLONASS it'll be an expensive toy if the russians pull the funding for it again.

now, to try and find out if the minimum pool length has been dropped from the 20m on the 910 to the 15m on the garmin swim. big factor for those of us stuck in a 17m pool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Why in the name of all that's wonderful does anyone want to see email, text or other alerts on their watch in a 1" square

BennyMul wrote: »
    Why in the name of all that's wonderful does anyone want to see email, text or other alerts on their watch in a 1" square

cause Samsung and apple said it was a good idea....

seriously though, wait till strava start sending out text alerts to tell you of an upcoming segment, and what the KOM time is on it. actually if linked to your phone it doesn't even need a text. you'll get a warning coming up to it, and real time tracking against the KOM.

mossym wrote: »
    GPS Enabled - Yes
    GLONASS - Yes

so i wonder does it really have both, or are they assuming most people will use GPS as a catch all phrase for a positioning mechanism.

if it's only GLONASS it'll be an expensive toy if the russians pull the funding for it again.

now, to try and find out if the minimum pool length has been dropped from the 20m on the 910 to the 15m on the garmin swim. big factor for those of us stuck in a 17m pool

Both. GPS accuracy is not consistent globally.

It will have the drill function of the swim which is nice.

• Advertisement

Both. GPS accuracy is not consistent globally.

It will have the drill function of the swim which is nice.

neither is glonass though right? i thought it was better in northern parts, but worsened as you went south, as the russians focused mainly on home?

some sort of averaging maybe

cause Samsung and apple said it was a good idea....

seriously though, wait till strava start sending out text alerts to tell you of an upcoming segment, and what the KOM time is on it. actually if linked to your phone it doesn't even need a text. you'll get a warning coming up to it, and real time tracking against the KOM.

Coupled with the IQ framework we will see this.

neither is glonass though right? i thought it was better in northern parts, but worsened as you went south, as the russians focused mainly on home?

some sort of averaging maybe

"Given the current GPS and GLONASS constellations there is now a clear advantage when using GPS and GLONASS together for high precision positioning in mobile applications where there are obstructions to the sky. The GPS and GLONASS receivers are able to maintain RTK Integer at times when GPS-only receivers cannot. The dual-frequency GPS and GLONASS receivers are able to resolve ambiguities faster. "

GLONASS coverage
    http://www.oxts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/600_GLONASS_Coverage_Sep10.gif

Okay the coverage aspect isn't huge, the locks without clear skies is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Much nicer & neater looking package than the 910XT but at £150 premium over the outgoing model at the moment it would want to have some really useful additional bells & whistles. Maybe the 910 will start dropping below £200 now?

Coupled with the IQ framework we will see this.

given the ability to transmit data outside of the profiles, if someone developed an ant+ tire pressure sensor, you could remove one of the variabilities of turbo trainers and correct for different tire pressures. this would make estimating power etc a lot more feasible on a turbo.

irrelevant with a pm anyway but it indicates the possibilities. the non profile transfer could be very very sweet. i missed the significance when you mentioned it first

• Advertisement

given the ability to transmit data outside of the profiles, if someone developed an ant+ tire pressure sensor, you could remove one of the variabilities of turbo trainers and correct for different tire pressures. this would make estimating power etc a lot more feasible on a turbo.

This exist AFAIK.

Where it would be GREAT is with computrainers and similar that can be influenced by tyre pressure changing due to heat. Change the offset without calibration based on tyre pressure on the fly......
    irrelevant with a pm anyway but it indicates the possibilities. the non profile transfer could be very very sweet. i missed the significance when you mentioned it first

Its okay, not as if you work in this industry.

This exist AFAIK.

Where it would be GREAT is with computrainers and similar that can be influenced by tyre pressure changing due to heat. Change the offset without calibration based on tyre pressure on the fly......

should be straight forward enough i'd have thought if the pressure sensors exist.

Its okay, not as if you work in this industry.

actually i don't anymore.

but even then, what i was working on was a long way away from ant+

should be straight forward enough i'd have thought if the pressure sensors exist.

Although Racemate are not known for moving quickly on software.

would they need to? it's ant+, so they should be transmitting the raw data anyway, it's computrainer would have to write the software i'd have thought

Connect IQ will be supported in a firmware upgrade in "early 2015".

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-920xt/prod137024.html

3-5 weeks if ordered from US site, so its available(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

3-5 weeks if ordered from US site, so its available(ish)

Expecting 5-6 weeks later in the EU market. Hopefully enough time for any issues to become evident & resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Timed well with DC Rainmaker's Review - very convenient :)

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/fr920xt-triathlon-details.html

17m pool length support confirmed. sign me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Looks deadly if it works properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Timed well with DC Rainmaker's Review - very convenient :)

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/fr920xt-triathlon-details.html

I started reading that and got bored. Why does he always drone on for so bloody long? And he said at the start that this wasn't an in depth review. :eek:

BTH wrote: »
    I started reading that and got bored. Why does he always drone on for so bloody long? And he said at the start that this wasn't an in depth review. :eek:

gear heads like detail...

BTH wrote: »

Anything more that 'GO' & 'STOP' is wasted on you, isn't it?

On an aside I see there is also a Garmin 920xt thread over 'there' >>

disaster_630.jpg

;)

is that the hole they are digging to get rid of all the unwanted polars now that there is a real/working alternative on the market?

(like the atari one from years ago
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial)

is that the hole they are digging to get rid of all the unwanted polars now that there is a real/working alternative on the market?

No the inference was about looking into a hole in the ground!!

Can't have one thread without a pop at me and my Polar :(

AKW wrote: »
    No the inference was about looking into a hole in the ground!!

Can't have one thread without a pop at me and my Polar :(

you had to know it was coming. if it wasn't me you know where it would have come from...:)

you had to know it was coming. if it wasn't me you know where it would have come from...:)

For something like this I just rang the shop.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

€539 in Ireland .... $ 499 (€383 in the States) ... Shameful

€539 in Ireland .... $ 499 (€383 in the States) ... Shameful

AFAIK it's numerically the same price for the same packages. Obviously ie $539 including new strap. the currency changes things. Us Euros subsidise the yanks. Much like the dubs and the culchies :)

• Advertisement

Much like the dubs and the culchies :)

says the crowd looking to divert the f%$king river so they can have a wash.

Advertisement