Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Tips For Graduates Entering The Corporate Workforce

Options
  • 01-10-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Entering the ‘real world’ is daunting to most graduate’s especially the ones who have not participated in internships or work placements. I myself have recently had the experience of starting in a corporate environment and quickly took on a ‘Sink or Swim’ mantra. I am now a year into my career journey and I would like to share just a few of the observations I have made over the past 12 months.

1. Write it down!

In your first few months you will suffer an information overload, be sure to take notes at every available opportunity. At the end of each day read them over and highlight any keys areas that you might need to follow up on, then file them in a way that is easily accessible to you.

2. Power Play

From day one start to identify the influencers and power players in the organisation. I don’t necessarily mean the CEO, it is important to build a relationship with ‘Power Players’ at all levels. This is a great way to identify a suitable mentor.

3. Find a Mentor

This is non-negotiable. With the right mentor in your corner you will not only have an almost endless fountain of knowledge, you will also have the guidance and someone who can introduce you to those key relationships and, depending on the kind of mentoring arrangement you have, your mentor can also review your work.

4. Soak it Up

During the first few months you will need to adapt and learn as much as possible. You must be able to take on and complete tasks to a high standard while also being able to work on your personal learning at every available opportunity. You will need to ooze enthusiasm and be hungry for learning, so be a sponge and soak it up!

5. Box Clever

It is a strong possibility you will be given labour intensive work until you prove you are capable of running with the wolf pack. Ensure that whatever work you are given, no matter how time consuming, stay visible and notdisappear under a sea of paperwork and excel sheets. As the saying goes ‘out of sight out of mind’.

6. Respond to Mistakes Made

We all make mistakes, it’s part of being human - but it is how we respond to these mistakes that truly show the kind of character a person really has. So when you make any mistake, no matter how big or how small, own up and learn from it because if you don’t it will come back to haunt you!

7. Ask Questions

It seems like an obvious one right? But it isn’t always what we do while we are being put on the spot. If you are given a task and are not 100% certain on what that task is or how to complete that task, just ask. Be specific and clear on what action you need more detail on.

8. Difficult Relationships

Not every interaction you have is going to be a positive one, sometimes you will have to work with people that are unhelpful, guarded or just plain rude. Think of this as another test and use all of your communication and emotional intelligence to break down their barriers to get what you need. Be polite, be helpful and don’t ever close a door you might need open in the future.

9. Leverage Social Media

It is very important to market yourself internally as much as externally and LinkedIn is the perfect way to not only capitalise on the interactions you have made inside your work place, it is also a shop window for you to profile. Use it to display all of your fantastic personal, professional and academic achievements as well as highlighting your interests and keeping your finger on your network’s pulse and an eye on Influencers from around the globe!

Twitter can be a fantastic networking tool so use it to find like-minded professionals from your chosen industry. It is also a real-time source of the latest Tech, and Business news!

10. Elevator Pitch

The Elevator pitch has been around for a very long time. This pitch is a key weapon in your arsenal for when you find yourself face-to-face with a high value network target. Traditionally your pitch should be short enough to fit in to a brief 1-3 minute interaction and should contain your true ‘Value Add’. It’s a good idea to have this written down and well-rehearsed for those chance meetings.

Written By Stewart Keegan (Origional post on Linkedin)

Advertisement