Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di Lusso R4 or the Riva 40 I need more info

Options
  • 01-10-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭

Well the time has come to put in an inset stove.
    My house is 20 years old and a timber frame with 6" internal walls, 12" insulation in the loft, double glassed windows etc...... so heat retention is good.

Calculations say I need 4kw/5kw for the lounge room and to go into a nice feature cast iron fireplace 16" wide, the Riva 40 or Di Lusso R4 will just fit the bill fine.

Wife likes the Riva 40 @€;1300 " 'cos friend up the road has one' I'm leaning more towards the Di Lusso R4 @€;1400 as it has the good points from the Riva 40 but with a better air control system.

I can't find much info out there on the Di Lusso R4 but any reviews are very good.
    Lads I need feed back from people that have the Di Lusso R4 in and using it as well as the Riva 40.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

clivej wrote: »
    Well the time has come to put in an inset stove.
    My house is 20 years old and a timber frame with 6" internal walls, 12" insulation in the loft, double glassed windows etc...... so heat retention is good.

Calculations say I need 4kw/5kw for the lounge room and to go into a nice feature cast iron fireplace 16" wide, the Riva 40 or Di Lusso R4 will just fit the bill fine.

Wife likes the Riva 40 @€;1300 " 'cos friend up the road has one' I'm leaning more towards the Di Lusso R4 @€;1400 as it has the good points from the Riva 40 but with a better air control system.

I can't find much info out there on the Di Lusso R4 but any reviews are very good.
    Lads I need feed back from people that have the Di Lusso R4 in and using it as well as the Riva 40.

Can only speak in relation to the Di Lusso but it's possibly the best standard sized inset stove that I've come accross. You've already mentioned it, but the air control is far superior to anything I've seen. Highly efficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Anymore ppl with reviews on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

I dont have direct experience of either stove you mention. But for any stove it needs to be the right size for the room.

You say you need 4kw/5kw - there is over 20% difference between 4kw and 5kw so if you are closer to needing the 5kw for your room then IMHO the Riva40 output at 4.9kw might be a bit low.

I decided on the Di Lusso R4 and so far I have not been disappointed. Great control over the air intake that will keep the heat output exactly where you want it.
    A direct rear air duct was also fitted so that your not using heated air from inside the home.

20141109_101050_resized_zps91d136d8.jpg

20141108_160739_resized_zpsbd4c3af5.jpg

20141104_152211_resized_zps1139289f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

I decided on the Di Lusso R4 and so far I have not been disappointed. Great control over the air intake that will keep the heat output exactly where you want it.
    A direct rear air duct was also fitted so that your not using heated air from inside the home.

Can I ask how much it cost and how much was the fitting charge? Did you have a flue liner installed into the chimney?

• Advertisement

mp31 wrote: »
    Can I ask how much it cost and how much was the fitting charge? Did you have a flue liner installed into the chimney?

€1400 + €300 installation. That is the quoted prices but I got a little off because I haggled. :D;)
    Installation included everything needed to connect to existing flue (chimney), back filling with vermiculite, etc.

Got quotes of €2100 for the stove alone. A place in Maynooth was expensive :mad: . I also phoned up some outlets in the North and the UK. But with the price of sterling + delivery it was not worth it (even when taking the VAT off, very little in the price). Shop local if you can I say, even if a little dearer.

Flue liner not required.

I got the rear air ducting formed locally & cut the hole out the back of the hearth (that included the fire back) to save a little money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

€1400 + €300 installation. That is the quoted prices but I got a little off because I haggled. :D;)
    Installation included everything needed to connect to existing flue (chimney), back filling with vermiculite, etc.

Got quotes of €2100 for the stove alone. A place in Maynooth was expensive :mad: . I also phoned up some outlets in the North and the UK. But with the price of sterling + delivery it was not worth it (even when taking the VAT off, very little in the price). Shop local if you can I say, even if a little dearer.

Flue liner not required.

I got the rear air ducting formed locally & cut the hole out the back of the hearth (that included the fire back) to save a little money. :)

Thanks for the update. We're close to that place in the Maynooth business park and found them also quite expensive - plus they wouldn't fit without installing a new flue liner which jacked up the price even more.

I also want to change our wooden fire surround to a marble/limestone type surround so if you have come across a shop that has a good selection of surrounds on show then I'd be grateful if you could pass on their details (either in the thread if allowed or PM if not)

No idea who would have surrounds now. Best do a search for local traders.

I have the Di Lusso working for a week now on timber alone and the heat off it is outstanding. I have found that even on the lowest setting we have to open the door to allow the heat out of the room. It heats the upstairs with ease, enough not to have to put the oil heating on.

Advertisement