Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free AVG Internet Security 2015 4 Year License

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Thanks OP. Just used it now and valid till 26/2/2018

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    God dammit, just bought mine online.

Well get a refund then...
    You have a certain period to change your mind when purchasing over the internet, right

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Awesome. Thanks OP, I didn't renew last week only because I forgot. Could be better timing. Renewed to Feb 2018 . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Well get a refund then...
    You have a certain period to change your mind when purchasing over the internet, right

Indeed. Just annoying I'd done it before seeing this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Is this still working, not timed out on anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wang King wrote: »
    Is this still working, not timed out on anybody?

26th February 2018 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

working fine for me, have it on my sons laptop for over a month, no issues and installed it on another laptop tonight, checked the expiry date: 26 feb 2018....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Had to reinstall AVG, but it worked a treat! Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I better walk over to to my Mac researcher colleague and tell him he is out of job. I am a threat researcher for a AV company BTW and I spend all day classifying threats across various platforms.

Researchers at Palo Alto Network say more than 450 Mac OS X applications offered on a Chinese third-party application store called Maiyadi have been seeded with WireLurker.

http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2014/11/wirelurker-new-era-os-x-ios-malware/
    http://www.thesafemac.com/dr-web-announces-new-iworm-malware/

And dropped files are not the only reason to run an AV. What about Phishing attempts,Man in the middle attacks, protecting browser data (leaking from browser sessions, protecting clipboard data)? A modern AV's job is more than just blocking infections its multiple layers of protection such as Website reputation and IP Lookup which occurs before a user even sees a website. And I don't care how advanced a user you are some of the advanced threats you cannot notice a system impact so if even if you really take care you can still get infected.

The list goes on, not to mention the heartbleed and Poodle exploits which can affect Unix based OS's.

I can get you some MD5's and samples if you want to test them yourself? Or would you just like to keep spreading the myth?

Ah sure why not here is a few to get you started:

7f7cbc62c56aec9cb351b6c1b1926265
    dd7421fb6ca03c5752a06cffb996285a
    2d86dce83851f76493ba0492d066c095
    4b6eb782f9d508bbe0e7cfbae1346a43
    39084b60790ca3fdebe1cd93a4764819
    1734E778EE786D0FD0E8005AEAE06F69
    6C5D8B4B562081114463D3420EB53968
    B24C0E60AF3D3E836FBE8A92FBCC8EB7
    FEE9E5D1802146C7C91B51C02F677FA4
    42792BF6CA54949A9E038CD1F5E324F8
    4CB95BE21CC8BCFB4ED1F61C565F2EB1
    B3EDBC6981DDF6CBD1E144A778453704
    57EAF619CFE39ED3C3368DF3E806F3C0
    47ED859F5B11648A45023190E74E7B46
    8C6C667EA096D66087167C5AD571A172
    0D235B971723E47CE0AA14D7D5F381FE
    673FD5E850CF1C42C779C5A83479C36E
    B4ECE10D1E706B87B065523A654D48A7
    5DFE2C8E919A48763640DF54A432ED6F

Need I remind you that Windows has over 90% of the desktop OS market. Since malware authors are all about money it makes sense to target the area where they can make the most money. Why target 5-7% of the market when you can target 90%. The MacOS isn't some magical vault that the Apple people would have you believe.

AV is a broken technology and you know it. Thats why you can get it for free. There is nothing for free in this life. It will protect you against maybe 50-60% of whats out there and give the user a false sense of security. While there are millions of unique samples of windows malware out there, for OS X that is around 2k unique samples. All of the high profile incidents to companies from malware have AV and multiple forms of AV. Now don't get me wrong having AV is a good idea like locking your doors at night is a good idea but its not going to keep people out if they really want to break in.

"Researchers at Palo Alto Network say more than 450 Mac OS X applications offered on a Chinese third-party application store called Maiyadi have been seeded with WireLurker." - anyone who installs pirated software from an untrusted source on OS X which requires them turning off gate keeper in security settings is hardly a victim.

Looking at the MD5s you have posted. I don't think your employer past or present would like you publishing data on samples especially some of them are not public.

The MacOS isn't some magical vault that the Apple people would have you believe.
    - It sure ain't. Java, flash being the main avenue of choice in browser exploitation.

Simply not having Java installed (which is default), noscript, flash on click only I feel it is as close to a magical vault that you are gonna get.

- heartbleed/poodle are both server side attacks (as in the web server has the issue). No AV product on the client would helped you here.
    - ShellShock, again this is something that is not going to effect a home user unless they have forwarded a port back to an internal system, also remote access(ssh) needs to be enabled which is off by default. Because of NAT and most people have no idea what ssh is most people need not worry about this.

Many of those samples are java and even the most untrained user would see there is something wrong when they see a message like below that they have to ignor, check a box and click run before anything happens.

Updated-JRE-7u21-Security-Warning.jpg

PS the reason this is free is same way a drug deal gives the first one for free. They hope you will renew it down the road so give it for free now

So in summary if your a windows user then installing an AV is a good idea (but 60% effective at best) but as a mac user, don't turn off security features, enable unneeded services, install software from untrusted sources, don't use java, use noscript, flash on click you should be fine as chances are at that stage if you do get infected AV is not going to safe you but if you are interested in running a resource hog that will keep your machine nice and warm AV is a good option or a free option would be open terminal and run "yes > /dev/null" as it will have the same effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Whatever you do guys, do not allow AVG to install the option for secure browsing or something like that.

They install PUP into your browser.

Shoddy carry-on from an AV company

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Whatever you do guys, do not allow AVG to install the option for secure browsing or something like that.

They install PUP into your browser.

Shoddy carry-on from an AV company
    Again nothing is for free, there is always a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Will this work with Windows 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    the reason why many AV companies give away a free product is because they use it as a sales tool. I.E so people will get to like it and then recommend it for corporate enviroments.

I thought it was for a wider spread to pick up nasties quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You think bloat and slow is a feature. Do you work for Samung or Microsoft? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

Dozy where did you acquire this key? I have used it since last November, but this morning AVG program put up a message saying that this is an illegal copy??
    I would like a response please, because if this is a Pirated key and AVG want blood I will point them in the direction of this page. verification of the Licence posted here shows that it is indeed invalid?
    So dozy please enlighten us about the origin of the key!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Dozy where did you acquire this key? I have used it since last November, but this morning AVG program put up a message saying that this is an illegal copy??
    I would like a response please, because if this is a Pirated key and AVG want blood I will point them in the direction of this page. verification of the Licence posted here shows that it is indeed invalid?

Its already been mentioned in this thread that the key has been floating around the internet since 2013 of course its not legit. Do you think it could possibly pay AVG to chase you down?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

moodrater wrote: »
    Its already been mentioned in this thread that the key has been floating around the internet since 2013 of course its not legit. Do you think it could possibly pay AVG to chase you down?

It was also mentioned in the posts that it was a legal key for 145,000 licences that it was a free issue by AVG so don't be so pompous in your responses. I assumed as this site is legit that the moderators would not want to be associated with posting of illegal pirated keys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

It was also mentioned in the posts that it was a legal key for 145,000 licences that it was a free issue by AVG so don't be so pompous in your responses. I assumed as this site is legit that the moderators would not want to be associated with posting of illegal pirated keys!

This post? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92451505&postcount=60

That just says what the licence info window says after you install using the key and a conjecture of why that might be.

I'm sure the op posted it in good faith its on freebies sites all over the internet. I'm surprised myself that this thread has stood I'm sure its been flagged plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Got the same message today ,least I got 5 months free service off them can't complain with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

This key was posted in good faith....
    Who on earth do you think you are all high and mighty demanding answers from me...

Like another poster mentioned, nothing in this life is FREE and you as an adult should realise that.

AVG themselves are surely responsible for letting this key be used and not me.

So if you are not happily with it, uninstall it and More importantly
    "Get a Life"

You come on here.
    Have only 5 posts. One of which is total nonsense ( this one )
    and now you want to try to jeopardize Boards..!!

Cop on dude and get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Still working for me, good till 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

wardy2 wrote: »
    Got the same message today ,least I got 5 months free service off them can't complain with that...

Just got the message too but everything is still working..so far

NATLOR wrote: »

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Did your Mammy never tell you not to bite the hand that feeds you?

Bargain Alerts is not a place for the faint hearted. It's a tough world out there.

You didn't bother clicking the thanks button in the four or five months that you had full use of the licence but yet take the trouble to return to the thread to complain.......there's a lesson to be learned right there, so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Same here....maybe it's time to circle the wagons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I am getting the same message today. 'Fun' while it lasted. Time to try something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Same, still working just fine.

Advertisement