Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tetris: The Movie

• 01-10-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

It's finally happening! The movie absolutely noone asked for is finally getting made!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/09/30/tetris-movie/?mod=e2tw

It's gonna be an "epic sci-fi". I was hoping for more of a romantic comedy myself but thinking about it, "epic sci-fi" fits the themes and mythology surrounding Tetris like a 2x2 block occupying a 2x2 block gap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,069 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It will be a love story between a square and an s-shape...they never quite seem to fit.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It will be a love story between a square and an s-shape...they never quite seem to fit.

:cool:

Still a better love story than Twilight...

Anyway, unless this is a quasi-sequel to Cube and each piece is a new puzzle chamber, I'm not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This could turn to be the trippiest movie of all times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Who will write the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Bacchus wrote: »
    It's finally happening! The movie absolutely noone asked for is finally getting made!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/09/30/tetris-movie/?mod=e2tw

It's gonna be an "epic sci-fi". I was hoping for more of a romantic comedy myself but thinking about it, "epic sci-fi" fits the themes and mythology surrounding Tetris like a 2x2 block occupying a 2x2 block gap.

All I know is that any opening crawl should be in block capitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Will the movie and score get faster the longer it goes on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

*checks calendar. Not April 1st*

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I am expecting an artsey type film using the cold war stand-off and Jesus as inspiration.

Two sides of different random coloured shapes rotating and finally slotting together on two sides forever waiting for the single long piece to decend, unite them and free them.

But with every new piece, everyone gets closer and closer to the abyss.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Can't be genuine, surely.

I'll believe it when I see the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can't be genuine, surely.

I'll believe it when I see the trailer.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

An alien invasion with blocks descending from the sky, hovering above the Earth. And once the bottom row of blocks align all over the world, they detonate, destroying the planet. Our intrepid heroes must prevent said detonation.

Ten bucks says the plot is similar or worse

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Virtanen wrote: »
    An alien invasion with blocks descending from the sky, hovering above the Earth. And once the bottom row of blocks align all over the world, they detonate, destroying the planet. Our intrepid heroes must prevent said detonation.

Ten bucks says the plot is similar or worse

Scrap the Sci-Fi plan, Hollywood. Let me have a go.

It's about Jimmy (voiced by Shia Lebeouf), the round Tetris shape who just doesn't fit. Jimmy's best friend (voiced by Jonah Hill) is the weird 'S' shaped Tetris block who's nerdy, awkward but loveable. Jimmy falls in love with Chloe (Zoey Deschanel), the pink 'L' shaped Tetris block, her Dad (John Leguizamo) 'J' shaped block is overly protective in a goofy kinda way. Jimmy isn't the only one with an eye for Chloe, as hot-shot 'square' shaped Tetris known as Brock (voiced by Taylor Lautner) makes life awkward for Jimmy, as they both compete for Chloe's attention.

The soundtrack includes a remix of the Tetris theme featuring a Pit-Bull rap and J-Lo chorus hook. As well as the number 1 folk-pop ballad from Ed Sheridan called 'Fitting In.'

The movie's tag line: "Game On"

Hollywood, you're welcome. :cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Scrap the Sci-Fi plan, Hollywood. Let me have a go.

It's about Jimmy (voiced by Shia Lebeouf), the round Tetris shape who just doesn't fit. Jimmy's best friend (voiced by Jonah Hill) is the weird 'S' shaped Tetris block who's nerdy, awkward but loveable. Jimmy falls in love with Chloe (Zoey Deschanel), the pink 'L' shaped Tetris block, her Dad (John Leguizamo) 'J' shaped block is overly protective in a goofy kinda way. Jimmy isn't the only one with an eye for Chloe, as hot-shot 'square' shaped Tetris known as Brock (voiced by Taylor Lautner) makes life awkward for Jimmy, as they both compete for Chloe's attention.

The soundtrack includes a remix of the Tetris theme featuring a Pit-Bull rap and J-Lo chorus hook. As well as the number 1 folk-pop ballad from Ed Sheridan called 'Fitting In.'

Hollywood, you're welcome. :cool:

:pac:
    Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"Tetris: A Michael Bay Movie"
    Virtanen wrote: »

Right, that's Tetris: A Michael Bay movie & "Tetris, I Love You" taken care of.
    May I offer an alternative?

A scientific breakthrough has enabled an evil corporation named "Brick" run by a mysterious man named SaiCo (has to be Ken Watanabe) to block people's minds while they sleep. He wants to breakdown his main competitors empire.

A retired "Blocker" named Cube (I was thinking DiCaprio?) is hired for one last job by the latter in exchange for them clearing his name (it won't be explained straight away, but he's basically a fugitive because he blocked his wife's mind to the point where she went insane, continuously rotating hoping to find her real place in the world).
    Cube has been out of the game for a while though, so he brings in an architect called Ariadmaze (maybe a younger actress, maybe someone small so that Cube will still appear to be the one the audience sees as the main protagonist, Juno?).
    Ariadmaze is a superb builder, she can control the blocks as she sees fit.
    She's also a master in exposition, which will be key to their mission.

Can Cube & Ariadmaze stop the evil Saico & Brick from blocking out all the competition?

Hans Zimmer - We Build Our Own World will just play on repeat throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

This is being made by Larry Kasanoff, the lunatic behind Food Fight, the animated equivalent of Troll 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not DiCaprio or Lebeouf, stick in Tom Cruise as round Tetris piece having a crisis of confidence and let's shoot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This will be monumentally crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hah, next up Pong:The Movie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Coming in 2018,

Tetris Vs. Battleship:You sunk my straight line piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can't wait for Hungry Hungry Hippos .... official release title Sex in the City 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well the Pac-man fan film was fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Skerries wrote: »
    well the Pac-man fan film was fun

That is my all-time favourite fan film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No sci-fi epic but there was actually a very good documentary about Tetris called Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

this sounds dumb as feck.

but then again the last film about a bunch of blocks worked out ok !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well it only took 9 more years but a film about Tetris actually got made and its good too not a sci-fi or romantic comedy more documentary but a very good if complicated one,

It's only available on streaming so no cinema outing yet anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

It was better than any film about Tetris has a right to be! Had a ball last night watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watched it last night with the kids, very enjoyable. AppleTV is producing a lot of good stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭robwen

Very good movie, gas reading the comments here from 2014 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

On paper this sounds like the most boring movie idea ever. A group of 80’s businessmen argue over various publishing rights to a Russian video game. How did that get green lit????

But I’m glad it did. Best film I’ve seen so far this year, thoroughly enjoyable. Some real nostalgia and a riveting, if quite complex plot. Plenty of fun, entertaining characters and quite heartwarming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I watched half of this after a few drinks. It was good alright, but I got lost as to who owns the rights to what. I think I might have to have a quick run through the first part again.

Advertisement