Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No Cash no Ride

• 01-10-2014 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭

I am going looking at a few prospective bikes for my nephew the weekend and another one has popped up on line with "no cash no ride" on the ad. I have not rang him yet i am wondering what is the way this works, do i bring full asking price count it in front of him and take bike for a test spin and he counts the money back to me on return from test drive?
    Any info or help be great, i have not rang this seller yet as he might have his own terms on what the "no cash no ride". I know a friend who sold a bike last year had several fellas calling the weekend prospective buying but he felt in the finish they were just spending their day having a spin off someone elses bike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It says alot that you actually bring the cash with you. As in your are a serious buyer....I would not hand him a penny the bike could be a dud, but work out something. Even a very small deposit if he striking a hard bargain. The ball is in your court you are buying....its a whole different ball game selling. I would also ring ahead and make the appointment show that you are serious rather then just turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

when I bought the Bandit, it was for viewing in a garage. went had a look, decided I hated the colour. its a 600s in yellow and black. a few days later I could not stop thinking about it. went back for a second look and thought you know what its actually looks really good (strange the way the head/heart works). asked him about a test ride he said it was his policy not to give a test ride unless I had the cast to buy it with me. to cover him in case I crashed the bike or otherwise damaged it, or even never came back with it. he was selling the bike for someone else.
    I could see his point in that alright. thankfully I knew who was selling it, gave him a call, he rang the garage telling them they trusted me, let me have the test ride. he did, I did, and i bought the bike. every one was happy.
    now if I could just find the time to actually get some decent miles on it! but that's another story altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Thanks for the reply wonda-boy, if you were a seller what take would you on a sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I recently sold a bike and had this whole debate with myself.
    I ended up taking it on a case by case basis. It was my sale so my decision.

2 lads seen the bike. One was there with his wife, seemed sound with genuine interest in the bike. He asked could he just take it for a quick spin uo and down the road which i was grand with.

Another lad seemed like a tyre kicker. Like he was doing his best to find any possible fault in the bike to haggle the price down. He asked could he take it for a spin because "Ya know yer self bud.... when ya open up an sv if ya hear some strange high pitched sound the bike will need some work and ya will have to drop the price for me"........ That dude got no test ride and i stopped wasting my time talking to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I've been looking at getting my first bike - being on a provisional means you pretty much have to look at the bike, go "Yeah, looks like a bike" and hope it isn't a flaming heap. So it's a garage with a good rep who are probably not going to sell you a heap, or nothing (so nothing, right?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting my first bike - being on a provisional means you pretty much have to look at the bike, go "Yeah, looks like a bike" and hope it isn't a flaming heap. So it's a garage with a good rep who are probably not going to sell you a heap, or nothing (so nothing, right?)

Dont be blind and trust a garage just cos they are in the business, This means that they are also very good at knowing what is wrong with a bike and either fixing it or covering it up very well.

I would not paint all dealers with the same brush as I have experienced both ends of it.

Just be careful and check all the usual stuff you would if it was a private sale.

Thanks for the reply wonda-boy, if you were a seller what take would you on a sale?

If I was selling my current bike I would want the cash or the keys to the car he arrived in. Also I would take a picture of his licence on my phone in case any thing dodgy kicked off. Again trust your instinct and try to buy at his house never a garage in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

my policy would be no cash, no licence, no insurance - no ride. the risk is too great, some assh*le brings your bike for a spin, gets clocked for speeding, or drops the bike, then brings it back, says sorry, and shags off?? no thanks. if i'm buying, I would agree on a price, hand over the money, get him to write a note stating that if you're not happy with the bike after a test ride, money will be refunded in full. take the bike for a spin, if all's well, all you have to do is complete the paperwork for transfer of sale.

make sure his / her insurance covers them to ride any motorcycle, it will only be third party, but at least you have the cash if anything happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

goodlad wrote: »
    I recently sold a bike and had this whole debate with myself.
    I ended up taking it on a case by case basis. It was my sale so my decision.

2 lads seen the bike. One was there with his wife, seemed sound with genuine interest in the bike. He asked could he just take it for a quick spin uo and down the road which i was grand with.

Another lad seemed like a tyre kicker. Like he was doing his best to find any possible fault in the bike to haggle the price down. He asked could he take it for a spin because "Ya know yer self bud.... when ya open up an sv if ya hear some strange high pitched sound the bike will need some work and ya will have to drop the price for me"........ That dude got no test ride and i stopped wasting my time talking to him.
    I do the same when selling. Some lads you can tell are genuinely interested. I let a guy take my last bike on a test ride and he had no money. But he came back the next day and bought it.
    When I bought the Ducati the guy wasn't giving any test rides. He was plagued with people taking a look, wanting a test ride and no intention of buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just make sure if you are meeting someone that it's a public place with good CCTV . Not unknown for a few heavies to turn up in quite car parks when people are looking to buy with cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I will be hoping to buy my first bike in a few weeks, IBT booked for 2 weeks time. I will be bringing a biker friend with me to check out bikes, but how will I arrange insurance for a test drive being a newbie to biking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I will be hoping to buy my first bike in a few weeks, IBT booked for 2 weeks time. I will be bringing a biker friend with me to check out bikes, but how will I arrange insurance for a test drive being a newbie to biking..

You can't as legally you are not allowed on the public road before you complete IBT and no insurance will cover you for a test ride. Best bet is to get that friend of yours to test ride it providing he has all the paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Get your biker friend to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

I'm selling a bike at the moment and am a bit worried about this issue. Bikeworld for example insist you call them a few days in advance, arrange insurance, bring proof and €1000 deposit.

Other garages when asked how test rides work have just answered "they don't" and to pay for the bike, arrange insurance and bring it back of there's any problems.

When I bought my first bike after just doing my IBT the dealer let me take it for a spin but was personally worried about having no insurance and not being legal on the road. In the end I bought it but felt a bit daft having not ridden a few more bikes before making a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'm selling a bike at the moment and am a bit worried about this issue. Bikeworld for example insist you call them a few days in advance, arrange insurance, bring proof and €1000 deposit.

Other garages when asked how test rides work have just answered "they don't" and to pay for the bike, arrange insurance and bring it back of there's any problems.

When I bought my first bike after just doing my IBT the dealer let me take it for a spin but was personally worried about having no insurance and not being legal on the road. In the end I bought it but felt a bit daft having not ridden a few more bikes before making a decision.

LOL at Bikeworld - one wonder's how they keep going when you see stuff like that. Oh and the prices! The Dainese gear is priced at a reasonable level - everything else is scandalous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If I was giving a test ride I'd be expecting 100% of asking price upfront. I'd take a photocopy of their license onto an agreement stating that if any damage occurrs (regardless of how small) they agree to purchase the bike for the full asking price. They are responsible for any road fines incurred (state the date and time that they will have the bike during) and they take full responsibility of being on the road with or without insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I sold a bike (Hornet 250), allowing a test drive and the guy who was viewing it offered my the keys to his recent year R1 as security. He had a high post count on another forum so I trusted him somewhat already.
    I've test-ridden three bikes when deciding which to buy with no hassle but I always bring a friend with me as another set of eyes and I suppose that offers reassurance that I'm not going to bail with the bike. I viewed one bike which he didn't allow a test ride for so I walked away even though the bike was very clean (overpriced but I didn't bother haggling).
    You have to call it on a case by case basis but there are the nightmare stories of people leaving laptop bags full of phonebooks or leaving their car down the road but someone is hiding in it and drives away after you're bike has gone on the test ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I was buying a bike last year from a private person. They offered a test drive but I refused (had all gear on me and insurance as I turned up on me old bike). Once theyre happy to drive a bit around im happy enough, but DO take a biker mate with u so he can have a look and talk to the lad. If I was selling now I would not let someone have a test drive until he buys it, too much risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I sold a bike (Hornet 250), allowing a test drive and the guy who was viewing it offered my the keys to his recent year R1 as security. He had a high post count on another forum so I trusted him somewhat already.
    I've test-ridden three bikes when deciding which to buy with no hassle but I always bring a friend with me as another set of eyes and I suppose that offers reassurance that I'm not going to bail with the bike. I viewed one bike which he didn't allow a test ride for so I walked away even though the bike was very clean (overpriced but I didn't bother haggling).
    You have to call it on a case by case basis but there are the nightmare stories of people leaving laptop bags full of phonebooks or leaving their car down the road but someone is hiding in it and drives away after you're bike has gone on the test ride.

So he could have stolen your bike and then come back with the spare key for the R1!!.

Everyone has to make their own call on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

If I was giving a test ride I'd be expecting 100% of asking price upfront. I'd take a photocopy of their license onto an agreement stating that if any damage occurrs (regardless of how small) they agree to purchase the bike for the full asking price. They are responsible for any road fines incurred (state the date and time that they will have the bike during) and they take full responsibility of being on the road with or without insurance.

Just a heads up, let somebody ride your bike or drive your car with no insurance and its on you the owner just as much as them by law. Regardless of what you get the to sign.

And if you have a copy of their licence, you don't need them to agree to pay any fines, its not their choice. You just fill out their details when the fine arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

On advice of a mate I actually rang and asked my IBT instructor would he be interested in coming viewing/verifying/test driving a bike for me when i was interested in buying and he jumped at it.

We agreed a fee and if he haggled the price down for me then I would give him a % of the reduction (which i was more than happy with).

When we turned up it was "no cash no ride", I had cash but said nothing. I handed over my LP, the IBT instructor handed over his licence and his instructor ID too and that was enough for him to try it.

Instructor checked the bike by visual inspection and then brought it for a spin. I wouldnt have had a clue what to look for as i was a n00b. He gave it the ok and I bought the bike on the spot and a year and a half later she's still sound! Also got a nice bit of a discount on it to due to his haggling!

The instructor also then offered to deliver the bike up to my apt while i stayed and watched his bike which I gladly accepted! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

martomcg wrote: »
    On advice of a mate I actually rang and asked my IBT instructor would he be interested in coming viewing/verifying/test driving a bike for me when i was interested in buying and he jumped at it.

We agreed a fee and if he haggled the price down for me then I would give him a % of the reduction (which i was more than happy with).

When we turned up it was "no cash no ride", I had cash but said nothing. I handed over my LP, the IBT instructor handed over his licence and his instructor ID too and that was enough for him to try it.

Instructor checked the bike by visual inspection and then brought it for a spin. I wouldnt have had a clue what to look for as i was a n00b. He gave it the ok and I bought the bike on the spot and a year and a half later she's still sound! Also got a nice bit of a discount on it to due to his haggling!

The instructor also then offered to deliver the bike up to my apt while i stayed and watched his bike which I gladly accepted! :cool:

Good idea. Im sure many an instructor woupdnt mimd doing this with a small fee. I lucked out with my bike. I knew nothing about it and just sat on it and fired up the engine. Done the deal and got the bike delivered from cork in a van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

So he could have stolen your bike and then come back with the spare key for the R1!!.

Everyone has to make their own call on it.

Well I'd have been beside his R1 with the key all along so I could have kept an eye on it / moved it into my garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Thanks to everyone for advice and thoughts on this much appreciated, i really like the idea of bringing an ibt instructor along and my nephew is organising the ibt fella that he used doing his training.
    I rang the fella who had "no cash no ride" and he said he wants full asking price before handing over the keys, fair enough in my opinion too, bike is small money just under €2k. He said he had bad experiences of selling in the past and this way his only way in curtailing the problem.

Just dont tell him your name is Arthur Daley, he will think you are a "BIT OF A GEEZER!!!!"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

A bit off topic but does anyone have any concerns about fake cash when buying/selling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A bit off topic but does anyone have any concerns about fake cash when buying/selling?

Either buy a pen which detects fake currency or make the lodgement direct to a bank, if selling. If buying it's up to the seller to worry about.

On this if handing the cash over for a test ride it might be a good idea to count it into an envelope and both people sign the seal, no risk of money going missing or getting swapped for fake.

When I went up north with my mate to buy his VFR off a little scottish fella from the Shetland Islands he had a UV light and checked EVERY SINGLE NOTE of £5000!!! He was a hardy little fcuker I tells ya!
    When my m8 asked for a test ride you could see ur mans eyes going 90 to the dozen looking him up and down. I think the fact I had my car there and we took our time looking over the bike settled him enough to say yeah. He did not know we had the cash there and then all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

when i was selling my old bmw f650, a lad rang me from ennis and asked could i meet him in galway, i agreed and met them in a carpark in oranmore.....they looked over the bike, checked the vin number etc then asked for a test ride..... i refused on the grounds he'd rung me from a mobile, we all didnt know each other and we were in a public car park miles from anyones address.... suddenly out came the two lads warrant cards! turns out that the lad wanting to test ride it was a bike cop and the other lad was a sgt wanting to learn to ride. needless to say i didn't refuse although i did ask wether he was insured!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You have to understand people are trying to protect themselves and trying to do that while selling a bike is very difficult.
    Over the years so many people have been left standing at the side of the road or in a car park or a petrol station as the "buyer" vanished on their bike never to be seen again.

Advertisement