Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No Cash no Ride

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Well I'd have been beside his R1 with the key all along so I could have kept an eye on it / moved it into my garage.

... Yes but a lad turning up on a stolen bike is not unheard of, and you won't be keeping that if things go pear shaped. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Years ago I had a new car to sell that I won in a draw. I did not have the car. The garage would supply the new car in the colour the buyer wanted.
    Someone agreed a price and gave me a 1k cash deposit. The next day I got a phone call trying to renegotiate the price downwards by a substantial amount. I refused as they were already getting 20%+ off list. They asked me to bring their deposit to a pub and give it to someone serving in the bar!!!.
    I arranged to meet them at the garage that was supplying the car. I arrived very early, by a different route than they would expect, and waited in the car salesman's office. They arrived and took the cash, absolutely fuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

diomed wrote: »
    Years ago I had a new car to sell that I won in a draw. I did not have the car. The garage would supply the new car in the colour the buyer wanted.
    Someone agreed a price and gave me a 1k cash deposit. The next day I got a phone call trying to renegotiate the price downwards by a substantial amount. I refused as they were already getting 20%+ off list. They asked me to bring their deposit to a pub and give it to someone serving in the bar!!!.
    I arranged to meet them at the garage that was supplying the car. I arrived very early, by a different route than they would expect, and waited in the car salesman's office. They arrived and took the cash, absolutely fuming.

You mean you gave them back the deposit....would not be me. Change your mind keep the cash, thats the nature of a deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The lad I bought the bike off yesterday.....
    Met me halfway and then gave me the keys and told me "take her away,be as long as you want, I'm off for a cup of tea".

Couldn't believe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

diomed wrote: »

Without trying to sound rude, I don't get how that's anything to do with the topic?
    I also wouldnt be handing it back. Thats what a deposit is. Image you'd got the ball rolling on his color choice before he changed his mind.

What'd you buy blade?
    I'm ringing a lad about a fzs 600 tomorrow, but I think it sold yesterday or the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Alan b. wrote: »
    What'd you buy blade?
    I'm ringing a lad about a fzs 600 tomorrow, but I think it sold yesterday or the day before.

Nah,wasn't me, I got a Tiger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

Oh no, I wasn't saying it was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If I was selling my current bike I would want the cash or the keys to the car he arrived in. Also I would take a picture of his licence on my phone in case any thing dodgy kicked off. Again trust your instinct and try to buy at his house never a garage in the middle of nowhere.

I would want the cash and check every note, anyone that frowned upon that would draw suspicion, keys could be to a nicked car.
    I sold a bike (Hornet 250), allowing a test drive and the guy who was viewing it offered my the keys to his recent year R1 as security. He had a high post count on another forum so I trusted him somewhat already.
    I've test-ridden three bikes when deciding which to buy with no hassle but I always bring a friend with me as another set of eyes and I suppose that offers reassurance that I'm not going to bail with the bike. I viewed one bike which he didn't allow a test ride for so I walked away even though the bike was very clean (overpriced but I didn't bother haggling).
    You have to call it on a case by case basis but there are the nightmare stories of people leaving laptop bags full of phonebooks or leaving their car down the road but someone is hiding in it and drives away after you're bike has gone on the test ride.

Still might have been nicked? probably not but its just not worth the hassle of getting stung I suppose.

Or give you a set of keys thats not for the car/bike, make you feel ok about it, but turns out they arent for the car, someone/anyone could come along and take the car, even if it was stolen or not, plates could be changed, how likely is it that someone would check a vehicle someone arrives in, not likely Id say and bit OTT to check too, better not to accept it as a reliable indicator of authenticity even if it might be in most cases.
    A seller could also innocently but genuinely offer to secure someones bike/car in their garage/side entrance/driveway along with the keys.
    Id only accept such an item as something of value if they could do something like prove they owned it, which is very easy to do.
    Something Id go out of my way to offer as proof of my authenticity and easily done rather than carry a large sum of cash or deposit that with someone. As a buyer you are in as bad a position too.

Also depends on the value of the bike, the greater the value the more likely Id want someone to wait with them while they had the cash, counted checked sealed and maybe even recorded the serial numbers off.

that said, Ive tested only a few bikes and sold none, in one instance it was inside an apartment block carpark, the others just let me away drive off down the road (insured), once on my own, the other, left the wife in her car parked at their house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About a dozen years ago I was on the lookout for a cheap backup bike, saw a CBR1000F going for about a grand, turned up on my bike and he agreed to let me have a short spin, roundabout 500m away and back. Wasn't long before I realised the thing didn't want to track straight, wanted to go left the whole time, could hardly get it around the feckin' roundabout, got it back parked up and had a look. Back wheel spacers were all wrong, chain adjustment bolts broken and he'd gunthered in a couple of gutter bolts :eek: no coolant in the reservoir either. Moral of the story is do all those checks you were intending to do BEFORE you test ride it.

Scrap the cap!

When I said earlier about a buyer being as bad a position as the seller, not sure if people just assume that means its a difficult thing, deciding if you want or like a bike you've never tested before and having to make your decisions in a short space of time.

It is a fairly understandable request, anyone wanting cash prior to a test ride. on the same hand, as a buyer, Id want to have someone prove their ownership and residence before handing over anything, imagine going for a test ride only to find no one on your return, ie you'd "bought" a stolen bike,
    Might be less likely, but Im sure it could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

I am not selling, so I haven't fully thought thru from that angle, but if I were buying and if I see an ad in Dungdeal, speak to someone, and they gives me an address to come to and I HAVE to bring 4-5k in cash, I just simply won't do it. What if I get mugged? I mean who carries that sort of money in cash in person anyway?!

I would hand over license, car keys or whatever to prove my identity and would expect the seller to let me test ride it (just 10 mins, not for the day). And if all is well, agree on price, I can do bank transfer to his/her account, when they are happy that money is there, I can pick up the bike.

positron wrote: »
    I am not selling, so I haven't fully thought thru from that angle, but if I were buying and if I see an ad in Dungdeal, speak to someone, and they gives me an address to come to and I HAVE to bring 4-5k in cash, I just simply won't do it. What if I get mugged? I mean who carries that sort of money in cash in person anyway?!

I would hand over license, car keys or whatever to prove my identity and would expect the seller to let me test ride it (just 10 mins, not for the day). And if all is well, agree on price, I can do bank transfer to his/her account, when they are happy that money is there, I can pick up the bike.

Can understand, but you might not get a test ride then, which is also understandable, kinda catch-22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

positron wrote: »

Plenty of people carry large sums of money when buying everything from bikes to cars to livestock. The only thing that you as a buyer can do is make sure to meet in a public place with good CCTV.

Unless you're coming a long distance there is nothing wrong with arranging a viewing, which sellers don't like doing at their home for obvious reasons, then arrange to buy at their home subject to a test ride.

There are risks for both sides so some comprising is needed. I know people who have been robbed on both sides of buying and selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

and what happens if you drop it or crash it, even if it's not your fault?

Advertisement