Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social security number

Options
  • 01-10-2014 1:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 7

Anyone know how I could get a SSN number. I am heading over to the states in November and I am looking at taking a test while I am over there but I need a SSN number for the test.

I know this seems as a weird question to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

stevekb wrote: »
    Anyone know how I could get a SSN number. I am heading over to the states in November and I am looking at taking a test while I am over there but I need a SSN number for the test.

I believe you need to have work authorisation to get a SSN.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 stevekb

spideog7 wrote: »
    I believe you need to have work authorisation to get a SSN.

That is what I was thinking. I don't need to be an American citizen to take this test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Anyone can get a Social Security Number.....as long as you meet the following condition

Your visa category is on the list :if you enter on b1/b2 or Visa Waiver, you cannot get a SS

When you arrive into the US on a valid visa, you need to wait 10-12 days for your entry authorization to filter through to Social Security. Once that time has passed - you go to the office, present your passport(with entry stamp and visa) and another form of ID (birth cert is fine). They cross check the details and they give you a letter that states your application was successful (or not) and what the next steps are.

Usually, the next step is just waiting 4-6 weeks for your number to be generated and sent out to a US address.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

How are you arriving into the United States? are you on a Visa or are you travelling on a Visa Wavier, for a short period of time?

SSN's are only for authorized persons on specific types of Visas..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP - do you currently have a visa that entitles you to live/work/study in the US? If you do, google the location of the nearest office of the Dept of Social Security Administration to where you are taking your test. When you get to the US, go in there (with your passport and visa stamp) and apply for a SSN. As long as everything is legit with your paperwork, your SSN will be posted out to you in the specified time frame.

If you do not have a work visa, and you are traveling to the US under the ESTA visa waiver program (otherwise known as a holiday visa) forget about it. You aren't entitled to apply for a SSN.

• Advertisement

I well be only on a holiday visa

I well be only on a holiday visa

it's impossible. SSN is for visa holders/residents only.

You also need to look at whether you are able to take exams on the visa waiver.
    From the official website: enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Tread carefully...the US CBP and ICE are not to be messed with.

it's impossible. SSN is for visa holders/residents only.

You also need to look at whether you are able to take exams on the visa waiver.
    From the official website: enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Tread carefully...the US CBP and ICE are not to be messed with.

I don't want to get into any trouble

OP, have you already booked flights? I hope you haven't. If having a SSN is a prerequisite for sitting the test, you won't be able to sit it.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, have you already booked flights? I hope you haven't. If having a SSN is a prerequisite for sitting the test, you won't be able to sit it.

Ya flights are booked. I'm going over to see family and I thought I would take the test

• Advertisement

Contact the administrators of the test and confirm with them, as whether or not a SSN is strictly necessary. If it is, then you are out of luck.

What do you mean by "test" ? Is it an academic exam of some sort? You are being very vague about what the nature of the test is & what it is for. So I would definitely follow the advice of iusedtoknow & make sure that it is something you are allowed do under the ESTA visa waiver program.

Contact the administrators of the test and confirm with them, as whether or not a SSN is strictly necessary. If it is, then you are out of luck.

What do you mean by "test" ? Is it an academic exam of some sort? You are being very vague about what the nature of the test is & what it is for. So I would definitely follow the advice of iusedtoknow & make sure that it is something you are allowed do under the ESTA visa waiver program.

I have asked the people since about needing a SSN. I would rather not say what the test is for. Its in new york.

Well, if it is for that, I'd forget all about it, unless you are an actual citizen, or a permanent resident.

Well, if it is for that, I'd forget all about it, unless you are an actual citizen, or a permanent resident.

No harm Taking the test. Prouddub are you an American citizen??

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Some "tests" and courses in the USA ask for SSN's when you sit the test or course but many have the possibility of providing alternative identification or writing "SSN not yet available" in the appropriate box. I had to do this for the first couple of months after I started work and before I had a permanent address to get a SSN.
    You need to check if this is possible in your case with who ever is providing the test, the need for SSN for tests and courses (even driving licenses) varies widely from state to state.

I have asked the people since about needing a SSN. I would rather not say what the test is for. Its in new york.

Well there are some tests that require you to be permanent resident(green card) or citizen. I'm talking about FDNY, NYPD etc.

I'm just going to say one thing. It's a felony to pass yourself off as a citizen, or to omit information that could otherwise imply that you are a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Yep.

Are you long a u.s citizen

US citizen since 2009, green card holder before that.

Advertisement