Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational toys

Options
  • 01-10-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi

Little one is turning two shortly and just want to look at getting a few 'educational' toys. Like the lacing of cotton reels etc.

Any other suggestions and also best place to purchase?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Hi

Little one is turning two shortly and just want to look at getting a few 'educational' toys. Like the lacing of cotton reels etc.

Any other suggestions and also best place to purchase?

Many thanks

I'm interested in the same. Anyone any ideas? I saw Tesco has a wooden shoe board to learn to lace. Other than that I'm lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

not sure what exactly you think of as educational, but dealz/pound shop sometimes have nice little things like 'paint your own eggs' (for easter) and stuff like that.

otherwise play doh is always a favourite (get some sort of arty pack to make shapes etc - early learning center/mothercare have stuff like that).

but maybe this is more arty than educational (dont wanna sound smart but our toddler practises lacing with daddys shoes :P)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Her name was Lola

I found my children preferred 'real things'. Phone, remote control, pots, pans, wooden spoon and banging and battering things.

Water toys for the bath - empty shampoo bottles - filling them up and spilling or squirting them out.

I bought wooden puzzles, jigsaws, an abacus lol. Not a bit of them had they interest in!

Reading to them is very educational!

Also - the interest in ANYTHING will be zero unless you play along with them.

Lego for boys. Building things.

Dolls and tea-sets for girls. They learn fine motor skills that way.

I'm AWARE of what the above sounds like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My daughters love Lego!

• Advertisement

My daughters love Lego!

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Also - the interest in ANYTHING will be zero unless you play along with them.

Lego for boys. Building things.

Dolls and tea-sets for girls. They learn fine motor skills that way.

I'm AWARE of what the above sounds like!

Why Lego for boys? Are boys not allowed dolls?

Why Lego for boys? Are boys not allowed dolls?

Jesus no.

Boys will dissect dolls. Dismantle them, draw on them and kick their heads like footballs.

I have never ever ever (and I'm an old hawk), seen a boy play nicely with a doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Boys will dissect dolls. Dismantle them, draw on them and kick their heads like footballs.

I have never ever ever (and I'm an old hawk), seen a boy play nicely with a doll.

So do girls! Lego is by far the most popular toy in our house and we have 2 girls!

Back on post, books really go down well here, and Lego as I said. I got some great wooden puzzles in Lidl during their events.

Not sure where you're based OP but there's a toy store in Stillorgan called nimble fingers and they have a great selection of wooden toys.

I read that at age 2 the most important thing for them is role playing: so dress up, emulating their parents and child versions of everyday items, kitchens etc

• Advertisement

They prefer the real things.

I used to allow my daughter to 'wash up'. Knives removed lol. Hours of entertainment! Not sure what she learned exactly lol, but I got a bit of peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I think things like stickle bricks, magnetic letters (get the Jolly phonics ones), chalk boards, chunky puzzles, shape sorters, stacking blocks with letters/ numbers etc on them.

Lots of books too. Bring them to your library.

Start introducing nursery themes with CDs and have props like fingers puppets and soft toys to go with them.

Maybe think of introducing a sand pit or water play. Use bubbles too. Introduce painting and arts and crafts.

When I was teaching there was a shop called Evans who we used to order from. I think they have a shop down near the quays in Dublin. Very reasonable and wide variety of stock.

I find Amazon, Tesco, Smyths, my local euro shops are good for all these things also.

Sorry these are just off the top of my head and I'm sure you use a lot of them already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Plastic bowls ,empty jars ,pasta,sand,water , dolls,Lego ,jigsaws ,musical toys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My daughter also loves Lego. We spent ages today building an airport :)

We got her a big easel for her second birthday and that's been good too. She can paint or draw on paper on one side and the other side is a chalkboard. Can use that to write the alphabet and go through it with her too.

Also, building and stacking blocks, books, large piece jigsaws, play kitchen, tea sets, sand box, alphabet magnets. Pretty much all toys are educational at that age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lego duplo range, all the way. My two girls love it, youngest being 6 months old.. Even if at this stage for her it's just putting things into and out of the boxes. 3 year old builds cities, boats, towers, guns, swords, trucks, trees.

Wooden train set is very popular here too. You can get add on bits like stations and tunnels, loops, shipyard. Great fun.

My daughter used her dolls as a football and as target practice for her lego guns. So they get played with alright! :)

Lego just for boys = very annoying sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's actually educational in itself. So is drawing on walls etc. It's not destructive in itself - it's exploring creativity.

Early Learning Centre has a lot of educational toys - http://www.elc.com/. There one shop on Henry St in Dublin. Not sure where others are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Orion wrote: »
    That's actually educational in itself. So is drawing on walls etc. It's not destructive in itself - it's exploring creativity.

Early Learning Centre has a lot of educational toys - http://www.elc.com/. There one shop on Henry St in Dublin. Not sure where others are.

ELC are usually near or in Mothercare. So wherever there's a mothercare. The ELCs have loads of great educational toys. But i think all play is pretty education when they're so young.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Sligo1 wrote: »
    ELC are usually near or in Mothercare. So wherever there's a mothercare. The ELCs have loads of great educational toys. But i think all play is pretty education when they're so young.

Sale in ELC just started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Orion wrote: »

Did that shop not close down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'd have to second one of the posts above about really making sure to play with him when first getting the toy so he can see how to do the basics of it. Then he can build on that from there.

Also if you find they have lost interest in something, put it away for a few weeks and when you bring it out again they tend to play with it in a new way, more novelty that way and they can learn more.

Advertisement