Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a new thing?

• 01-10-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭

So I was shopping in Lidl there yesterday and was in a bit of a rush so only got a few things. Anyways, the guy in front of me was buying alcohol and the woman at the counter asked for ID. Grand, he gave her his driving license which she then proceed to read both back and front which took ages! Then as she was scanning my stuff, she stopped and looked over. The guy in front of me was packing his alcohol and had obviously just bumped into someone he knew. So the woman at the till called this new guy over and asked him for ID too, even though he wasn't buying alcohol and had already gone through the tills. Is it common practice for shops to ID everyone you talk to or is this a new thing? Or was this woman just being a pain? Either way, the shopping trip took far longer than needed be which, of course, is typical when you're already in a hurry..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've seen this happen in Aldi over a year or so ago, so it's definitely not new. Must just be one of their store policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It always makes me laugh when they ask a clearly old person if they're over 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've seen them ask obviously middle aged men their ages,I was asked when buying a box of Rennies.
    Real sticklers for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So if I go shopping with my kids and have alcohol do they not let me buy it cause I'm with someone under 21 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Just pray that it doesnt get as bad as the US. No ID, no booze, no exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

It's a load of bollox, do they refuse a parent who's buying a bottle of wine if they take the child shopping with them?, do they fcuk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I know this person had just bumped into someone they knew but it's not new to ask the person you are with for ID. Quite often, if two young people go up to the counter and one is buying alcohol, they both get asked for ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

So did the second guy actually go over and entertain her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Some policies are ridiculous. Last time I was back in Ireland, I decided to stock up on my Lemsip supply to take back with me. The store wouldn't sell them to me, said there was some policy on how many they can sell to a person. So I called over the people that were with me, divided them out, gave them the money to pay and I put them into my bag with the rest of my shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I would have told her politely that she'd want to cop on for herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

D-FENS wrote: »
    So did the second guy actually go over and entertain her?
    He did yeah. Surprise, surprise he was over 18 too, after a thorough examination of his age card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

sup_dude wrote: »
    He did yeah. Surprise, surprise he was over 18 too, after a thorough examination of his age card

He's worse so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I lived in Arizona for a couple of years. If you were in a group of 2 or more at the till everyone had to show id.

My Mrs ID was out of date (Arizona drivers licence) one time and we were refused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

This has always been the case with Lidl and Aldi for years. It must be store policy. They're really strict on ID there and because of this, people with IDs will often buy drink for their ID-less friends (who would be well over 18) who may possibly also be hanging around the store but not buying the alcohol themselves. Lidl/Aldi realise this and will try and ID anyone they suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

maybe the cashier thought the other guy had asked the customer in front of you to buy the alcohol for them so she was just covering herself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

happened me in Dunnes, myself and a mate in one lunch time. He buying a bottle of powers and a lemon to make hot ones to help with a cold. Now, this guy is 28. Asked for ID, has none. Im waiting by the door and he calls me over. I try to buy it as I have my drivers licence in my wallet, Nope, cant sell to you either cause you are with him.

We just laughed and left it to her. What young lads are going in buying Powers and a Lemon to go on the tear anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

jester77 wrote: »
    Some policies are ridiculous. Last time I was back in Ireland, I decided to stock up on my Lemsip supply to take back with me. The store wouldn't sell them to me, said there was some policy on how many they can sell to a person. So I called over the people that were with me, divided them out, gave them the money to pay and I put them into my bag with the rest of my shopping.
    This happened me too. Was home on holiday and wanted to take a few bottles of Calpol back with me, as there's nothing as good here.

Staff wouldn't let me buy them at first, as there was a limit. When I explained my situation, she gave them to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm not surprised. Applying The Rules without any sense or discretion like an IBM 3090 clattering through the monthly payroll would be a very Teutonic way of going about it right enough. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

In fairness to the shop, I think this is a law to do with selling penicillin in Ireland(not saying the law isn't stupid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Connavar wrote: »
    In fairness to the shop, I think this is a law to do with selling penicillin in Ireland(not saying the law isn't stupid)

That law would be quite stupid indeed. There's no sodding penicillin in Lemsip, the issue is paracetemol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Can't blame her for asking for ID. If she doesn't she will probably get a warning or sacked.
    Mystery shopper paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

jimgoose wrote: »
    That law would be quite stupid indeed. There's no sodding penicillin in Lemsip, the issue is paracetemol.
    Woops, thats the one I meant(link to the limit i was mentioning)
    http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/6947/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought this was introduced because there's paracetamol in lemsip and there was a time when people were going into supermarkets and they were buying a good few paracetamol products and heading home and taking an overdose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I thought this was introduced because there's paracetamol in lemsip and there was a time when people were going into supermarkets and they were buying a good few paracetamol products and heading home and taking an overdose.
    Imagine drinking 50 lemsips though, you'd barf it up before you felt any ill effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

So both guys were past the till and on their way out when she asked the second guy for id? What if he didnt have any? Would the guy with id be told to bring the drink back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I worked in Aldi many moons ago. When they train you in they make an absolutely huge deal about asking for ID at the tills unless the person looks middle aged. They also make a big deal about asking any other people the person is with for ID if you have any suspicions whatsoever that the alcohol might be for them. So a person with a toddler or two hanging over them is fine, but if they go through the tills with a teenager in toe then you are not supposed to serve them.

I don't know if that was an Aldi wide policy, or just something the nazi area manager insisted on. But I can say for sure that any cashier who breaks the rules is risking their job, so getting angry at them for enforcing it is kind of dickish and is going to achieve nothing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tilly wrote: »
    So both guys were past the till and on their way out when she asked the second guy for id? What if he didnt have any? Would the guy with id be told to bring the drink back?

Maybe they could make a "citizen's arrest" on the belief that the person was buying alcohol for a minor?
    Although I couldn't be 100% sure of the legalities.

She had already made the sale. The alcohol was the property of the customer. Absolutely ridiculous to ask for ID at that stage, if she had tried to take the alcohol back it would have been theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Aldi are a pain in the hole about this. Did a shop with my roommate that included a bottle of wine and they wouldn't sell it to us because only I had id. My roommate was 23 at the time. The cashier and security guard both accepted she wasn't under 18, but still wouldn't give it to us because she "didn't look over 25". Couldn't even go back and queue myself to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I worked in Aldi many moons ago. When they train you in they make an absolutely huge deal about asking for ID at the tills unless the person looks middle aged. They also make a big deal about asking any other people the person is with for ID if you have any suspicions whatsoever that the alcohol might be for them. So a person with a toddler or two hanging over them is fine, but if they go through the tills with a teenager in toe then you are not supposed to serve them.

I don't know if that was an Aldi wide policy, or just something the nazi area manager insisted on. But I can say for sure that any cashier who breaks the rules is risking their job, so getting angry at them for enforcing it is kind of dickish and is going to achieve nothing anyway.

I'm sure I've read this on here - a customer refused alcohol because the person with them was a teen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I bought alcohol in Aldi and my teenage daughter was with me. The cashier asked if she was my daughter. When I said yes I was allowed buy the alcohol. Guess they figured I wouldn't buy alcohol for my daughter. Anyway she doesn't like bourbon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

gypsylee wrote: »
    I bought alcohol in Aldi and my teenage daughter was with me. The cashier asked if she was my daughter. When I said yes I was allowed buy the alcohol. Guess they figured I wouldn't buy alcohol for my daughter. Anyway she doesn't like bourbon!

more of a single malt person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When I worked in Lidl, asking for ID was number 1 priority because each and every till was watched like a hawk with a camera above you and management would come down on you like a ton of bricks if you didn't ask for one.

I wouldn't really blame the staff, they're forced to do it and have enough on their plate dealing with the soul-destroying experience of working there, having to scan 1,245 items a minute while explaining to a customer why their electric fishing rod can't connect to the bluetooth in their car radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Beano wrote: »
    more of a single malt person?

Cans of cheap lager actually . I reared her well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When I was in New York I saw a sales assistant refuse to sell a bottle of wine to a man in his seventies or eighties. He just stood there confuddled and rechecking his wallet to try to find some form of ID, and after each unsuccessful search the sales assistant reminded him that she couldn't sell him alcohol without ID.
    Fortunately the manager passed by and noticed the situation, and immediately told her to let him have the wine, so common sense did prevail.

I do have sympathy with sales assistants, unless they've been told to use their discretion in cases of people who are clearly middle-aged or older. There's no point taking a chance of being disciplined or kidding your job, especially if you've been told to be strict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

A bit off-topic but still on the subject of applying rules ...

Recently I was paying for petrol at a Tesco filling station and attendant left the till to go and admonish a man who was filling up. He had a child, who looked no more than four years old, filling the tank. She warned him that he couldn't do that. He then took the pump from the child but she warned him to put the child back in the car before he could proceed. He finally complied.

She said situations like these occur more often than you might imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

leck wrote: »
    A bit off-topic but still on the subject of applying rules ...

Recently I was paying for petrol at a Tesco filling station and attendant left the till to go and admonish a man who was filling up. He had a child, who looked no more than four years old, filling the tank. She warned him that he couldn't do that. He then took the pump from the child but she warned him to put the child back in the car before he could proceed. He finally complied.

She said situations like these occur more often than you might imagine.

Damn right. 4 is plenty old to be pulling your weight. Sure he should be paying rent as well the little freeloader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

eviltwin wrote: »
    So if I go shopping with my kids and have alcohol do they not let me buy it cause I'm with someone under 21 :confused:

Yes!!! You shouldn't be feeding your kids alcohol like that!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

kneemos wrote: »
    I've seen them ask obviously middle aged men their ages,I was asked when buying a box of Rennies.
    Real sticklers for it.

There's an age limit on rennies?
    KungPao wrote: »
    Imagine drinking 50 lemsips though, you'd barf it up before you felt any ill effects.

Paracetemol is one of, if not the single most dangerous over the counter drug available - it's extremely easy to kill yourself or cause yourself irreparable damage with a fairly small amount. The stuff is bloody lethal!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

She was probably taking time looking at the license because that was the third time she'd seen Prawo Jazdy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Happened to me in Sainsbury's not too long ago. Was doing the weekly shop on Friday evening and was asked for ID for the bottles of wine I had. The cashier then asked for my gf's id, who wasn't carrying her purse so didnt have any. The cashier refused to serve me, gf was about to run out to the car for her driving licence but I told her hold on.
    I questioned why I was being refused and she stated that the gf could be underage, right I said so the lady ahead with the kid and the lady behind there with the baby in the trolley are getting their drinks refused. Manager was called and waved it through.

Had to apologise to the woman behind for putting her wine and beer purchase in jeopardy!

Only found out afterwards the cashier was aggressively descanning the wine from the total indicating I wasnt getting them, after the manager gave the go ahead she put them in them bag, never scanned them back in again. Saved about £15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's an age limit on rennies?

Dunno,came up on the till to ask for ID.May have been a mistake unless there's a use for them I don't know about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I assume people are aware of the law. It is quite draconian
    Dunnes had to close for four days and pay a fine of €1500 for selling vodka to a 16 year old http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dunnes-sold-alcohol-to-underage-girl-in-sting-operation-29074954.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kneemos wrote: »
    Real sticklers for it.

lols
    we used to call them rubber johnies in my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I am feeling quite left out. I never get ID'ed in Lidl or Aldi and I am quite a fresh looking mid thirty year old.

Advertisement