Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denny Cooked Ham

Options
  • 01-10-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Anybody have a problem with the packageing on this lately, ie,

the clear part shows lovely pink cooked ham yet when opened the part with all the writing hides the blood spots and bits of fat. Is this done on purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know what you mean. I only ever buy Denny ham so it's annoying now that I can't check the ham by looking through the plastic.

And it doesn't help that I'm really fussy (hence the name) about ham and it must be clear pink, not splattered or with jelly bits.

I might send them an email...maybe you will too?

They're forever changing the packaging on this ham, so you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The quality of Denny ham has taken a dive in recent years. I stopped buying it. Was in afriends recently and he was making a sandwich, using Denny ham and it just looked pathetic compared to the ham the missus buys in Lidl. It just looked to be of much lower quality, with bits of fat throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Melendez wrote: »

Or buy freshly sliced ham at the deli, where you can see what's on offer and pick what you want. Prepacked meats - never the best choice!

The OP was talking specifically about Denny pre-packed ham, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its a race to the bottom folks. Kerry group at the moment, are on a serious economy drive. Not sure about quality issues, but even distribution has been chopped. It would not surprise me if they were cutting corners on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Melendez wrote: »
    But your "alternative product" was raw ham and telling them to cook it themselves. I have never cooked a ham in my life, they are usually quite big, I would only get small packs now & then.

A more similar alternative product would be saying getting lidl prepackaged ham slices, which was already mentioned. I love the fact that some of the lidl ham is extremely visible, it is also relatively decent quality compared to other prepackaged hams. There might have been no change at all in dennys product quality wise, its just that customers cannot flick through them and visually see which they find acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please treat each other with respect, and no back seat moderating either.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The tesco Finest, aldi specially selected and the lidl premium cooked hams are by far the best out there.

All sliced from a single joint rather than the mixed joint of the lower price cuts.

the OP should maybe try the Aldi specially selected (140g for about 2.29 - cheaper per 100g than denny) and you'll find you'll never go back to denny. (or shaws or any other name that spends a fortune on advertising)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Considering Aldi's hams are from reputable Irish producers and Denny's are imported bottom of the barrel dirt I'd consider that a good suggestion.

Considering Aldi's hams are from reputable Irish producers and Denny's are imported bottom of the barrel dirt I'd consider that a good suggestion.

Only ham out there with 5 natural ingredients though!

Most other pre-packed hams are wet and gristly and plasticky.
    Denny ham is dry and full of flavour. And it sells pretty well.
    It's the only ham I buy.
    I don't want thick slices of boiled ham on my sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

delahuntv wrote: »
    The tesco Finest, aldi specially selected and the lidl premium cooked hams are by far the best out there.

All sliced from a single joint rather than the mixed joint of the lower price cuts.

the OP should maybe try the Aldi specially selected (140g for about 2.29 - cheaper per 100g than denny) and you'll find you'll never go back to denny. (or shaws or any other name that spends a fortune on advertising)

I think its 90g now

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

The aldi one is the best as the other fella said, give it a try, Irish as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Some of the Tesco and Musgraves outlets still carry Denny ham at their Deli counters- and slice it freshly for you. Dunnes had a 33% off on fresh Denny meats last week. I know it sounds nuts- but if you go on the internet for 10 minutes before you go out- you can pop into where-ever has what you're looking for- at whatever price you're willing to pay.

The pre-packaged stuff is incredibly poor quality- it was never that good- but its gone very poor in the last year. The answer I have to this- is find out who still has the fresh stuff- get it sliced extra thinly for you- and if at all possible- get it on special (the fresh stuff also freezes- though I'd suggest defrosting it in the fridge and eating it immediately if you go down that road- you don't want to give yourself food poisoning either..........)

Tesco seem to be withdrawing Denny fresh ham from its Deli counters on a store-by-store basis- local to me here- Lucan and Maynooth no longer have it- but Celbridge do. Dunnes Maynooth have it- but Supervalu (Superquinn) Lucan don't...... etc etc

Shop around folks........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Agree with what has been said about Denny's quality in recent years being very poor. Last time I had it it was full of tough rubbery bits and pretty disgusting.

Glensallagh Premium in Lidl, or the Torchon Ham in Aldi are the only two pre-packed sliced ham I buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fussyonion wrote: »
    Only ham out there with 5 natural ingredients though!
    I am not sure how genuine a claim that is, or if there is any real substance to the claim.

free.png

I am not sure if there is a legal definition of "natural ingredients" or if Denny have simply proclaimed their 5 to be natural and any others unnatural.

I had a post about it before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78710561&postcount=10

A tip for avoiding watery ham is to compare the protein % on them, take care to check the per 100g figure for this. Tesco finest honey roast ham is 27%, tesco value ham is 15.8%, denny honey roast is 22%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Saw this yesterday. A disgrace. At least 80% of the packaging covered with the Denny brand.

So I went with galtee (should have went to aldi!) and when i opened the ham, sweet Jesus it was like wafer thin ham (it wasn't wafer thin I bought!)

I am disappoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Surely you are paying for the quantity on the packet not the thickness of the slice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

There seems to be three different quality grades of Denny's per packed ham.

Denny traditional deli style (all natural ingredients ect)is consistently the best but is dearest.
    Denny cooked ham cheap and cheerful
    Denny deli selection ham in a kind of frosted effect pack . Middling quality.

Prices range from €10\kg to €18/kg and up to €23/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Saw this yesterday. A disgrace. At least 80% of the packaging covered with the Denny brand.

So I went with galtee (should have went to aldi!) and when i opened the ham, sweet Jesus it was like wafer thin ham (it wasn't wafer thin I bought!)

I am disappoint

You do know Denny and Galtee are both made by Kerry Group ?
    When Kerry took over the Galtee brand both brands went down hill fairly rapidly. (Just like the Dairygold spread)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Sorry people took the bribe.

Wrote to Denny's, got €5 voucher in the post.

Off to tesco to load up, will not bother with the ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

practice wrote: »
    Sorry people took the bribe.

Wrote to Denny's, got €5 voucher in the post.

Off to tesco to load up, will not bother with the ham.

tsk, sellout. They've turned you into a shill for Big Ham and it didnt even cost 30 pieces of silver.

Advertisement