Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I got false widow spiders

• 01-10-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a a load of these in the utility room (out doors). They look like false widows. Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Jaysus got some fright when I opened that - Any way to scale the pic down:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'll give it a go. Hopefully this is 50% less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

I'm not sure but they kinda look like them from the pics in the papers recently..hopefully some of the experts can ID them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

kill em....kill em all.....only way to be 100% sure you don't have them.....;)

kill em....kill em all.....only way to be 100% sure you don't have them.....;)

I've put those back in the utility room. Missus looked at me like I was mad. Spiders= no flies!. Unless they are false widows, then they are getting the shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

There is a new app out called spider in da house or something like that helping to identify them, I assume it's nothing Google can't do but worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lots of scaremongering around the false widow spiders. They are not normally aggressive at all. Their bite should be no worse than a bee or a wasp sting.

Lots of scaremongering around the false widow spiders. They are not normally aggressive at all. Their bite should be no worse than a bee or a wasp sting.

I agree with you. I'm not in a panic about it or anything but I will treat them with the same caution as I would bees or wasps. I wont have a lot of them around the house in just the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

But so many people are having bad reactions to the bites making it worse then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

But so many people are having bad reactions to the bites making it worse then.

Those more knowledgable of false widows suspect that different spider are responsible. It is rare for people to capture a spider for analysis after they have been bitten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement