Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the free car parks?

Options
  • 01-10-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

On the Traffic and Commuting section of the UCD website it says "some car park spaces are pay and display", so I assume this means that some aren't, and are free.

Where are those? I'm only a new student so I don't know my way around all that well. I know that getting a parking space is hard enough as it is, even in the pay and display ones, but sometimes I don't be heading into college until around four o'clock or so, so a free car space would be great (and save me a few bob).

I greatly appreciate any help.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

This map will show you where the free car parks are. You should have no problem getting parking at 4pm. The big car park up by Richview is a good place to check during peak times, you'll usually get a spot there even after 10am, cos it's a bit of a trek to the centre of campus. Also the car park by the O'Kane centre is a good place to check during the day. You'll usually get a spot there at about five to the hour as people leave lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

Wow, so most of them are free. I should really explore more :P

Thanks a mil

No probs, just keep your eyes peeled cos some corners of a big car park is pay and display, like the one between the sports centre and the astro turf courts (probably not explaining that so well) has a pay and display corner and it's easy enough to miss if you're not paying attention. But yeah, most are free :)

Oh and you can't park in the gym car park without a membership permit which is why it's always empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

At the front, between AIB and Tierney, and the big one behind Quinn. Those are your safest bets as the pay-and-display spaces in those ones are pretty clearly marked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The best places are
    • The Secret Carpark (Its a secret).
    • The Crazy Carpark (Big One Beside JJ. Not as crazy as it used to be).
    • The Arts Carpark (currently has work being done so not that great).

I find people that dont know UCD as well instinctively come in the N11 gate and only know the O'Reilly Carpark well leaving the good spots free for us Clonskeagh bandits.

Carparking in UCD is an artform. I had a row with some snotty first year tart in Popop's B'mer last week. I was 40 minutes in the que waiting for someone to leave and she jumped ahead of me. Long story short she wont be doing it again. Years of UCD car parking has left me rabid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Either get in before 8.30 or after 2 if you want a spot. Young professionals from surrounding areas tend to park up in UCD and get the bus into town to work, so even turning up at half 8 can be dodgy.

Advertisement