Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Post Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

boccy23 wrote: »
    I don't agree with it being a shock. Same thing happened last year. Kershaw lost on 3 days rest to the Cards. It's more deja vu than shock for me.
    The Giants win on even years, 2010, 2012... So I expect them to win it again!!

Seriously, I think the AL is straight forward. O's have the more complete team, a defense which should limit the Royals running game and enough offense.

In the NL, I will stick by the Giants. They have the best manager and at this time of the year, that pays off. Not sure it counts as much during the 162 game season, but definitely in the post season. He has no issues with trying different things such as bringing Timmy in from the pen a couple of years ago.

Would love to see how Bochy matches against Buck in the WS.

Yeah I suppose but I was more saying it was a "shock" that when Kershaw got into that position he couldn't close it out -- a failing he had in game 1 too.

That said the better team won oevr the series, they had the clutch hits in the opportune times which made the difference.

The O's have the better team but the Royals have built up a fair amount of momentum now, hopefully two game 7s on the cards (see what I did there - awful pun!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

After my earlier post saying that the Nats were going to stroll through the playoffs and easily pick up the title, I'm now passing the kiss of death to St. Louis and Baltimore who I reckon will win their league series match ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

I'm still sticking by the Orange WS with the O's and Giants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Royals are something else. Have won 8 postseason games straight going back to 1985 WS. Very impressive again tonight closing out a tight game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The O's were my pick for the WS from the start of the playoffs, that pick isn't looking great now. Fair play to the Royals though, would be nice to see them win the WS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Breaking news:the ALCS game 3 has been postponed and moved to tomorrow.

Not 2014 playoff related but today's the anniversary of the Bartman game in Chicago. If you haven't seen it you should check out the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary 'Catching Hell'.

3 days in a row with games at 9pm our time. It feels like we're getting spoilt. By 9 tonight, Ireland should already be getting hammered by Germany so it'll be easy to justify turning over to the baseball.

Rays GM going to the Dodgers. So going from a team with the lowest payroll to the team with the biggest! That'll be fun for him. He won't know himself

• Advertisement

3 days in a row with games at 9pm our time. It feels like we're getting spoilt. By 9 tonight, Ireland should already be getting hammered by Germany so it'll be easy to justify turning over to the baseball.

Well that didn't happen! Eventually turned over though, game on now!

Royals three outs from the World Series.

The royals reach the World Series for the first time since 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I'm just hoping for a nice easy win from the Giants tonight and maybe a no hitter from Bumgarner to set up a 3rd WS appearance in 5 yrs. I do not need another of these torturous close games they usually put me through. Heading back to St louis with a 1 game lead would be dangerous.

I'm just hoping for a nice easy win from the Giants tonight and maybe a no hitter from Bumgarner to set up a 3rd WS appearance in 5 yrs. I do not need another of these torturous close games they usually put me through. Heading back to St louis with a 1 game lead would be dangerous.

Yeah, tonight's the night to close it out I think. Especially with Bumgarner on the mound and Wainwright still not at his best.

Not a bad way to finish off a series eh?

With both series finishing early, there's no games until Tuesday now. Can't wait though, should be very interesting. The experienced WS veterans against the young team who just keep winning (although they have the kind of story as the Rockies a few years back who then got swept!).

• Advertisement

Not a bad way to finish off a series eh?

With both series finishing early, there's no games until Tuesday now. Can't wait though, should be very interesting. The experienced WS veterans against the young team who just keep winning (although they have the kind of story as the Rockies a few years back who then got swept!).

Very nice finish. Giants have only had about 4 homers in the post season to that point so it was a great time to pull one out of the bag. The 4 day break is not ideal for either team as their both running hot, but I'm glad of it because KC are on a ridiculous hot streak at the moment and they will have had 5 days off by Game 1 of WS which might upset their momentum. Hopefully!!

Fairy tale stuff for Travis Ishikawa too with that walk off homer. Apparently he was very close to retiring a couple of times the last few years as he couldn't get out of the minors. Giants only brought him up when Michael Morse got injured in July. Bruce Bochy has a history of getting the best out of below average players when it comes to the postseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

So my all orange prediction for the WS didn't pan out.
    Giants to win it all is still looking good though.
    The 6/1 at the start of the playoffs is riding on.

The 4 day break is not ideal for either team

World Series winners: "The long break was great as it allowed us to recharge our batteries, get the bullpen some rest and allow us to play fresh and reinvigorated."

World Series losers: "We were on a roll and the break came at the wrong time for us. If we had kept playing after winning the pennant we would have carried that momentum forward and maybe gotten a better result."

The four day break is good for the Giants as they can send Bumgarner back out there first up!!

• Advertisement

Weren't Kansas down 8-3 in the 8th inning of the Wild Card game? Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Giants to win with a whitewash

Giants to take the first 2 games in KC before finishing it out in game 6.

Giants 4-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hoping for a close series with lots of close games, a game 7 and the Royals winning it out...is that too much to ask :)

Coeus wrote: »
    Hoping for a close series with lots of close games, a game 7 and the Royals winning it out...is that too much to ask :)

I don't want a Game 7 as I'd miss that game, but I'm with you in hoping for Royals in a close one, 4-2 series would be nice but think if Giant's win tonight it will be difficult for them which is why I say Giants will win it handy.

3-2 Giants tonight, looking forward to it

8-10 wrote: »
    if Giant's win tonight it will be difficult for them which is why I say Giants will win it handy.
    Agree, very important for the Royals to win tonight. As the Nats and Cards found out the Giants are very tough once they get ahead in a series...

Agree, very important for the Royals to win tonight. As the Nats and Cards found out the Giants are very tough once they get ahead in a series...

Bumgarner too good for them. Absolutely need game 2 or it could be finished in 4 or 5 games.

Managed to watch it all today without finding out the score. Only got the first inning live last night before falling asleep!

Giant's well worth their win and the early runs dampened the occasion I feel but they'll take that!

Only thing that might hold them back is their starters, big test for their next 3 guys who were all 4+ games under .500 this year.

Still fancy Giants to win series 4-1

I know you can't help what nickname people give you but I bet James Shields is hating whoever came up with 'Big Game James' for him.

• Advertisement

Managed to watch it all today without finding out the score. Only got the first inning live last night before falling asleep!

Giant's well worth their win and the early runs dampened the occasion I feel but they'll take that!
    I felt it was over after that first inning so went to bed. Wasn't surprised to wake up and read the Giants had won by more. Three Frames James was pitching poorly and Bumgarner was always going to be solid. Pressure is on the Royals now...

I felt it was over after that first inning so went to bed. Wasn't surprised to wake up and read the Giants had won by more. Three Frames James was pitching poorly and Bumgarner was always going to be solid. Pressure is on the Royals now...

Yep and they answered back after again going behind early. Should be set up for a nice series now.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Yep and they answered back after again going behind early. Should be set up for a nice series now.

Yeah, definitely looking like it could be a good long series now. Apparently there could be bad weather in SF on Saturday which could postpone game 3 which will mean Bumgarner will be on full rest for game 4 and could pitch game 7 on 3 day's rest.

Joe Madden leaving the Rays. Next stop LA?

Joe Madden leaving the Rays. Next stop LA?
    The Cubs are sure to be in mix...

The Cubs are sure to be in mix...

The mix for what ?

Just reading on the web there that Oscar Taveras was killed in a car crash tonight :(

Kinda put tonight's game into perspective....

Just reading on the web there that Oscar Taveras was killed in a car crash tonight :(

Kinda put tonight's game into perspective....

Crazy news, so young and such a talent. RIP. I don't even want to watch this game anymore, commentators haven't mentioned it.

Crazy news, so young and such a talent. RIP. I don't even want to watch this game anymore, commentators haven't mentioned it.
    I know...very strange as the players know...
    https://twitter.com/ErinAndrews/status/526544254211207169

So sad that a guy with so much potential and his whole life in front of him is gone. RIP Oscar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Rosenthal announced it on air during the game lads after it got confirmed.

Very sad. Outstanding talent. RIP.

Juan Perez is not a power hitter. Wade Davis went 84 innings this year and hasn't given up a single HR

Perez just went 3inches from a homer to score 2 runs in the 8 th, most unlikely play in baseball? You gotta say after being in tears over Taveras he was really up for that at bat. Magnificent hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Devastating news.

Had the potential to be one of the best.

Was slowly getting into the rhythm of the Bigs. Only did this a few weeks ago:

http://m.mlb.com/stl/video/topic/6479266/v36800103/nlcs-gm2-taveras-hits-pinchhit-gametying-home-run

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Gutted Joe Maddon won't be joining the Dodgers. Clubhouse needs a fresh perspective. Mattingly's been there too long to change the whole ethos.

6-0 with one out in the second. Think we might be having a game 7.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    6-0 with one out in the second. Think we might be having a game 7.
    Yep, what an inning by them, lots of great at bats!

Ventura has a comfortable lead to work with now. Bochy probably saves his best pitching (i.e. Bumgarner) until the morrow.

• Advertisement

Yep, what an inning by them, lots of great at bats!

Ventura has a comfortable lead to work with now. Bochy probably saves his best pitching (i.e. Bumgarner) until the morrow.

I think he will have Hudson on a very short leash with Bumgarner in the bullpen. Could he go 7+ innings on 2 days rest? KC looking like strong favorites now.

I watched the last WS Game 7 at 30,000 feet on a JetBlue plane. Only time I've ever been annoying that the plane was landing.

Cannot let Hudson put Bumgardner in the same hole that Peavy put Petit last night.

Game 7, exciting times :)

Have to agree the Royals have the advantage being at home. Bullpens will be key if the starters get chased...Bochy is saying Bumgarner is good for 50-60 pitches...Yost saying when he goes to the bullpen it will be for Herrera then Davis and go long with them. Go Royals!

Giants going to have to do more than that. Cannot let this game get to the bullpen.

Would people have started Bumgardner?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Giants going to have to do more than that. Cannot let this game get to the bullpen.

Would people have started Bumgardner?
    Think I start Hudson and hope I don't have to use him. He is on extremely short rest, risking injury if he pushes it and if he doesn't have it the loss could be on him. That would be a shame after his outstanding performances in games 1 & 5...

• Advertisement
Advertisement