Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Audio Repair

Options
  • 01-10-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all,

Are there any reputable repair houses active around Dublin area for high quality and competent pro-audio repair ?

I've an old A&H desk i wanna get some work done on for starters.

Cheers,

Crim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

A&H - which model? They can be problematic to work on

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Crimson125

TroutMask wrote: »
    A&H - which model? They can be problematic to work on

S8 MKI. Do you know any reputable service places ?

I usually do all my own tech and occasionally refurb consoles for other people. That A&H looks like a cool project, though it will be quite expensive to recondition as it takes many hours to rebuild a mixing console, esp. if you intend using it for recording. So unless it's something really special ............

I usually do all my own tech and occasionally refurb consoles for other people. That A&H looks like a cool project, though it will be quite expensive to recondition as it takes many hours to rebuild a mixing console, esp. if you intend using it for recording. So unless it's something really special ............

Has been fully functional since I got it - last year I fully recapped it so thats done - theres just a few buxs I need to iron out thats all - not a major job, but i need someone who can get it done with minimal fuss and get it back into its space quickly !

Cool! What kind of caps did you use?

• Advertisement

Cool! What kind of caps did you use?

All Nichicon :-D

Yes, they sound great - rebuilt a Soundcraft Series One with the same caps! Doing a Neve right now. Would it not make more sense to finish off the desk yourself rather than hire in a tech - gotta be 60-80 an hour for a tech worth his/her salt?

Yes, they sound great - rebuilt a Soundcraft Series One with the same caps! Doing a Neve right now. Would it not make more sense to finish off the desk yourself rather than hire in a tech - gotta be 60-80 an hour for a tech worth his/her salt?

I'm stumped with it man and just wanna get it done amd working - im pretty sure its not.crazy stuff for.someone who knows what they are looking at. Ive spent too much time looking at it and the schematics and have a bunch of other things on the go aswell so at the point of desperation !

"Doing a neve right now" - its a tough life :-p Which one ?

Crimson125 wrote: »
    I'm stumped with it man and just wanna get it done amd working

what is the problem? Noises? Bad ground structure maybe? Switches? If you have a dicky summing amp it can spread noise across the busses and make sadness
    Crimson125 wrote: »
    "Doing a neve right now" - its a tough life :-p Which one ?

Its a 5432 broadcast console. Not in the pantheon of Neve-age but a pretty tasty front end all the same :) Marinair iron in and iron out everywhere!

Good Stuff - the Neve sounds tasty !

Well the two main issues are an intermittent master right channel, and problems passing signal over to 2 of the busses. That's what I can remember off the top of my head, but I wanted to do a full test and see if there's anything else.

The 2 master channels were pulled out completely and double checked - as for the busses, hadn't properly looked at them after realising the master was dodgy. Had been using it as a mixing surface really with some inserts on the master and sending the 2bus back into the machine.

It may be something simple, but I don't have the time any more to deal with it and have been working itb at the expense of dealing with it.

• Advertisement

I would try a methodical signal trace first - clean all of the inserts first then inject signal (a 1 kHz sine and a 10 kHz square) and work your way though the console stage-by-stage with a scope (any old scope will do - even a pocket scope!) until you find the fault. If there are socketed ICs - spray out the sockets. If there are trimpots or tweakers - spray those too. Check the rails everywhere for correct voltage and meter the input legs of every IC for DC voltage - the presence of DC on an input flags a blown IC, and one blown IC can send stray voltages around the place and cause a lot of strange problems

I would try a methodical signal trace first - clean all of the inserts first then inject signal (a 1 kHz sine and a 10 kHz square) and work your way though the console stage-by-stage with a scope (any old scope will do - even a pocket scope!) until you find the fault. If there are socketed ICs - spray out the sockets. If there are trimpots or tweakers - spray those too. Check the rails everywhere for correct voltage and meter the input legs of every IC for DC voltage - the presence of DC on an input flags a blown IC, and one blown IC can send stray voltages around the place and cause a lot of strange problems

And that there is beyond my skills allready - onw of a bunch of reasons thus i want a repair shop to.just get these sorted.as i have an album i want to mix on it very soon and im busy working on music ! Sound like something you would take on ?!!!

Hmmm, getting a console like that back into spec is a time-consuming endeavour. I'd do it but I'm super busy with other projects and have a couple of albums coming up myself. And all this for a console which sells for €600 or so used in good condition. Have you considered a Midas Venice, seem to be a few of those floating around. Have one myself for live use and have multi tracked out of the direct outs with very good results. Quiet, clean channels with a musical EQ.

Hmmm, getting a console like that back into spec is a time-consuming endeavour. I'd do it but I'm super busy with other projects and have a couple of albums coming up myself. And all this for a console which sells for €600 or so used in good condition. Have you considered a Midas Venice, seem to be a few of those floating around. Have one myself for live use and have multi tracked out of the direct outs with very good results. Quiet, clean channels with a musical EQ.

Yeah - thing is, im in love with it - and have loved using it so its on no matter what lol i love the footprint of it, the look of it, the space on it -just how it happened !

To give you an idea - my Soundcraft Series One refurb soaked up about 15-20 hours, it's working but still not right and needs more work. Thankfully the parts are cheap! The Neve I'm doing will be about 12 hours - and that's just getting the noise out of the channels - the direct out mods will be another few hours and big bucks for balancing traffos on every out. Realistically, the Series One was not really worth doing - a labour of love to resurrect a Lee Scratch Perry style console; the Neve on the other hand is totally worth it. I've done more modern A&Hs and I found them to be a complete PITA to work on and not really worth the sonic payoff in the end. Can't really comment on the vintage A&Hs like yours in fairness as I've no experience, but I don't think they're in the heavy hitter league. My advice would be to learn the basic electronics so that you can service it yourself, a tech will only fix what's wrong, they won't (well, usually) actually recondition each section so that it's in satisfactory state for recording. The electronics is pretty basic - there's not much beyond a bunch of gains stages, summing amps, EQs and routing in those. Even if you find a tech that will rebuild - it'll sit down in a year or so, and you'll end up sending some tech's kid to college over this desk :)

Advertisement