Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using credit card in US

Options
  • 01-10-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am travelling to USA for a week and wondering if credit card would be the best option (in terms of cost) to buy things and pay off bills at restaurant in USA? Because I know there will be some transaction/conversion fees from Euro to US$.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You might get a slightly crappier rate from your CC provider, sometimes cash is better from that aspect . But if it's just eating out and that sort of thing I'd use the card. The overall cost for using the card will be minimal.

Just remember to notify your CC provider that you're going overseas, nothing as bad as the CC company blocking your card when you're on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

any other suggestions please?

i noted using debit card to withdraw dollars can cost around 10-12 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

The charge for using you credit card in the US isn't that high. Also you get a better exchange rate when using your card than when you change your money. When we go we tend to bring cash for small things like buying bits like water and stuff or for having a few drinks!

With regard to the debit card, you can draw cash at the machines and pay for stuff across the counter. We have withdrawn maybe 200 at a time from cash machines in the US. We got charged like $4 by the machine to draw out the money and got charged by our bank on our side on the exchange. It wasn't very much though.... Def not 10.

America is so card friendly! It's just a case of swiping your card and depending on the shop and the amount you spend you'll need to give a signature. Make sure to have ID with you when shopping and using your card, they will ask for it!

Enjoy your trip!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Put money on your credit card so it has a positive balance and use it to withdraw money as well. It works out cheaper than using a debit card.

I can't find option to put money in positive on my credit card. Is it possible on online banking?
    bee06 wrote: »
    Put money on your credit card so it has a positive balance and use it to withdraw money as well. It works out cheaper than using a debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Just make a payment to your credit card through online banking.

Just checked now on online account but it doesnt say option to transfer money to credit card/account :confused:
    bee06 wrote: »
    Just make a payment to your credit card through online banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just checked now on online account but it doesnt say option to transfer money to credit card/account :confused:

Do you use online banking to pay your monthly CC bill? If so, just put money an amount of money into the account as if you were paying the regular bill.

There isn't a separate transaction as you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,594 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There is no PIN used in the US for any transactions outside of using ATM's, bring photo ID with you as you will likely be asked for it. Most ATMs charge $3 per withdrawal so best withdraw a couple hundred at a go to ofset this. Never ever choose to have the transaction in the Euro currency if you are offered the option, you will get a rubbish rate and be ripped off.

Some debit cards have a $150-$200 withdrawal limit per day so if your going down the debit card route bear this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Make sure you advise your bank that you are going away to the states before you go - so that they don't lock your card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I have 100% direct debit set up for my credit card to pay back. And I have been looking everywhere on my online account to transfer money to my credit card but can't see any such options :( Although I can see my credit card is linked to my online account...

Captain Morgan: So you mean it's not safe to keep positive balance on credit card?

I will ring AIB tomorrow to make sure they keep both my debit and credit card open during the holidays. Thanks everyone :)

Been raining here since 12 noon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is no PIN used in the US for any transactions outside of using ATM's, bring photo ID with you as you will likely be asked for it. Most ATMs charge $3 per withdrawal so best withdraw a couple hundred at a go to ofset this. Never ever choose to have the transaction in the Euro currency if you are offered the option, you will get a rubbish rate and be ripped off.

They can be a lot higher than $3, especially if you are using an overseas debit card. (Bank of America charge me $5 per withdrawal when I use my AIB debit card.) The fees can be even higher if you are using an independent ATM (aka non bank) that are merely money making machines for the owners of liquors stores, gas stations etc etc.

Informed the bank today about the use of cards in USA.

They told me daily withdrawal limit is 250 euros per day and 2.75% charge per transaction when I use card to pay for shopping or bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Informed the bank today about the use of cards in USA.

They told me daily withdrawal limit is 250 euros per day and 2.75% charge per transaction when I use card to pay for shopping or bills.

What they mean is that you will be billed at the interbank rate plus 2.75% which is a bit on the high side, my BOI Mastercard is IB + 2.25% for non-Euro purchases.

Some of the advice here may be useful, even if you're not with BOI ...

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/existing-credit-cardholders/travelling-abroad/

Advertisement