Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading your Water Meter.

Options
  • 01-10-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Tried to read mine today but this is as far as I got.....afraid to try anything else, should I twist or turn or pull at either of those two white yokes.

[IMG][/img]DSC01078_zps323bee67.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There was a spokes person on TodayFM today for Irish Water and she said you 'remove the frosted glass' to read the dial. I don't see any frosted glass on your photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

There is no meter in that box. It has not been fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No meter there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

wellboytoo wrote: »
    There is no meter in that box. It has not been fitted

Thought there was something funny about it all right:D:

Box has been fitted since last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Tried to read mine today but this is as far as I got.....afraid to try anything else, should I twist or turn or pull at either of those two white yokes.

[IMG][/img]DSC01078_zps323bee67.jpg

Fill it in with a bucket of cement may be a good option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hoffmans wrote: »

Concrete, cement is a raw material concrete is the finished product, now:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hoffmans wrote: »

You better hope you never need to turn off your water so......:D

When they fit a meter to this it will be only around a foot or maybe less below path level.

I thought they were to be 15"-18" below ground to prevent freezing.

Is there anyway we could read meters ourselves with our mobiles, as their based on gsm signals instead of having oap's like me lying prostrate :D on the public footpath trying to take a reading every 3 months.

They promised me life gets easier as you get older...yeah right:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

danjo-xx wrote: »
    When they fit a meter to this it will be only around a foot or maybe less below path level.

I thought they were to be 15"-18" below ground to prevent freezing.

Is there anyway we could read meters ourselves with our mobiles, as their based on gsm signals instead of having oap's like me lying prostrate :D on the public footpath trying to take a reading every 3 months.

They promised me life gets easier as you get older...yeah right:(

Hopefully in the future they will produce something like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,331 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sully wrote: »
    There was a spokes person on TodayFM today for Irish Water and she said you 'remove the frosted glass' to read the dial. I don't see any frosted glass on your photo?

You misheard.

It's a frost cover they were talking about - like a shaped bit of styrofoam that fits into the hole and covers the meter. (No idea what it's actually made of, have just seen it).

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You misheard.

It's a frost cover they were talking about - like a shaped bit of styrofoam that fits into the hole and covers the meter. (No idea what it's actually made of, have just seen it).

Looks like polystyrene about 50mm or 75mm thick and fits the full width of the pipe, I have that but no meter yet, hopefully never:D

Advertisement