Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Home Water Charges

Options
  • 01-10-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

It looks like you are better off NOT to register a holiday home (with meter) for water charges unless you use a lot of water there.

If you register and declare it as a non-primary residence you will be charged EUR 125.

If you don't register you will be charged on actual usage.

EUR 125 would cover just over 25 m3 (@ 4.88 per m3 to cover supply and waste) and they say that an adult uses 66 m3 in a permanently occupied house.

Have I got this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Yes, that's my reading too (if the holiday home is metered). If its not metered, you are much better off with the standing rather than the assessed charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seaniemac

Hi, What it you have a holiday home and you are anxious to rent it out for, say, six months of the year. What is the best/right thing to do in that case????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Obviously the flat rate, but I don't know what Irish Water's definition of a holiday home is. Holiday homes deemed commercial are subject to commercial water rates, and have been for some time. I would tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

blackbox wrote: »
    If you register and declare it as a non-primary residence you will be charged EUR 125.
    or EUR 62.50, if on a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

MouseTail wrote: »
    Obviously the flat rate, but I don't know what Irish Water's definition of a holiday home is. Holiday homes deemed commercial are subject to commercial water rates, and have been for some time. I would tread carefully.

The question that Irish water ask is if the house is permanently occupied. As long as you use it yourself some of the time, I wouldn't expect it to be deemed commercial*. If commercial, I guess you would also have a commercial mortgage on it (if any).

*not expert advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement