Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

bike for work(commuting)

• 01-10-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭

Hi,I'm on the lookout for a bike for commuting.
    I had a bros before but my daughter came along and needed to stop using that bike as it wasn't in good condition at all.
    Looking at a deauville or a gsx600f.(any other bike I should be on the lookout for)
    Which would be best for mpg,comfort and insurance?
    I'm 22 and on an a2 licence. Think I should have my 2 years NCB as I only stopped biking about a year and half ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Deauville would be a good choice for commuting.
    You have protection from the wind/rain and also have room for any stuff you need to bring with you.
    Bike is ok for a2 if you have it restricted to 35kw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Deauville is made for commuting, same engine as the Bros/NT/NTV but shaft drive and built in luggage.
    Its a no brainer as far as a practical bike for commuting goes.
    V-twin gives nice torquey power and doesn't need to be revved to the moon for power.
    Restriction doesn't seem to choke twins as much as I4's either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

What sort of commuting? Is it through busy streets with heavy traffic or motorways etc? Deauville is good for motorway miles but wouldn't fancy filtering much on one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've been on Deauville's for years for commuting. No complaints. Very little maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

Cheers for the replies.
    Bike will be both motorway and town driving as coming from Delvin to mostly Dublin.
    Seems like the deauville is the bike I need.
    I have about €2000 to spend. Would that get me something good. Seen these:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-deauville/7656534
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/lk-lk-good-clean-bike/7534323
    Or stretch a bit more and go for dealer like:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-nt-650-deauville-lee-honda/7003936

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Creepy - I actually just came on here to post almost the exact same thread with small changes to details. Drove a CB1 until recently, but want something better for commuting and with luggage. Looking at Deauville's specifically.

I came on to ask if there's any alternative to the Deauville worth considering. I pretty much have my mind made up with the Deauville, but worth checking in case there's anything similar out there to broaden the search.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Creepy - I actually just came on here to post almost the exact same thread with small changes to details. Drove a CB1 until recently, but want something better for commuting and with luggage. Looking at Deauville's specifically.

I came on to ask if there's any alternative to the Deauville worth considering. I pretty much have my mind made up with the Deauville, but worth checking in case there's anything similar out there to broaden the search.
    Shaft drive midsize, integral luggage?
    No, I can't think what else ticks those boxes.
    Kawasaki had some midsize shaft driven bikes like the GT550 but they are out of production for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You don't need shaft drive if you have a chain oiler.
    Shaft drives do occasionally go wrong and are way more expensive to fix than a C+S kit.
    Shaft drive bikes are more expensive and heavier and tend to be longer in the wheelbase which is bad for getting through tight traffic.
    I'd go without panniers too unless you really have to have them, a top box doesn't get in the way when filtering and can hold a lot.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Got a great gs f650 for similar money with full luggage. Runs on air, light enought for savage filtering. Great bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/xj-900-shaft-drive-bargain/7797898

Spotted this on donedeal the other day, if I was looking this is a cheap option. Dodgy fuel gauge and exhaust on the way out according to the ad, you'd pick up new stainless downpipes for about 300 online and sort the fuel gauge handy enough. Low mileage and looks clean enough.

Vikings wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/xj-900-shaft-drive-bargain/7797898

Spotted this on donedeal the other day, if I was looking this is a cheap option. Dodgy fuel gauge and exhaust on the way out according to the ad, you'd pick up new stainless downpipes for about 300 online and sort the fuel gauge handy enough. Low mileage and looks clean enough.
    Seems grand but can't get an insurance quote. Prob cause it 900cc and I'm young??

What's best to look out for on a deauville when going to see one?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

A restricted bandit 600. I had my first bandit 600 (Restricted) at 18 and I still have a bandit 12 years later.

Plenty out there so prices are cheap.
    It has a "Big Bike" feel
    Reliable
    Comfortable ( I do 130 km a day on mine - its a 1200 though but same comfort )
    Very easy to service yourself
    Loads of custom parts available if thats your thing.

And when your are not restricted anymore you can remove the restrictors and its a nice powerful step up. You wont need another bike for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I dunno why they call them Dullviles, Granted that they were never built for performance, but at least you can ride it a couple of hundred miles without needing a wheelchair afterwards, and in the rain without modification (SV650 out on both counts).

Rock solid comfy mofos of a bike. they go forever, provided you show it at least a little love. As a commuter bike for medium to long commutes, I doubt there is a better option.

* The exhaust, as said, needs to be checked carefully.
    * See if the recitfier has been changed.
    * Check it runs on reserve, if not, fuel pump is shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Deauville would be a good choice for commuting.
    You have protection from the wind/rain and also have room for any stuff you need to bring with you.
    Bike is ok for a2 if you have it restricted to 35kw

Dumb question time. I have often read about different bikes offering better protection from rain. How so????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Dumb question time. I have often read about different bikes offering better protection from rain. How so????

Bigger windscreen, more plastic bits to deflect wind/rain. Windscreen helps most really as it creates a wind current above the rider which would blow away any rain, otherwise all that rain blows straight at u.

Sportsbikes are made to slip through the air with minimal drag(or at least look like they would) not to protect the rider from wind and rain.
    Honda-Repsol-Cbr1000r-800x960.jpg

Tourers have bigger fairings designed to move the air away from the rider to allow comfortable riding in most weather conditions.
    R80RT%20Mono%20677.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you don't mind the weight, an older K75 or K100 is fairly bulletproof.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm going to look at a Deauville tomorrow actually. With the weather out there, I don't know if I should bring a trailer or just safety gear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

My 2001 Deauville has 85,000 miles, adding about 8,000 per year. Beginning to burn and leak some oil. It let me down twice, a broken throttle cable and the dead fuel pump.
    I can't see any obvious 'better' commuter. I'm pondering fixing the oil issues or living with the on-going top-up.

Wish I had abs brakes though.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    My 2001 Deauville has 85,000 miles, adding about 8,000 per year. Beginning to burn and leak some oil. It let me down twice, a broken throttle cable and the dead fuel pump.
    I can't see any obvious 'better' commuter. I'm pondering fixing the oil issues or living with the on-going top-up.
    How much is some oil? If its only a small amount between services, I would live with it until it got really bad.
    If its a lot consider a new set of rings and a valve job.
    It shouldn't be much to do the top end on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What sort of commuting? Is it through busy streets with heavy traffic or motorways etc? Deauville is good for motorway miles but wouldn't fancy filtering much on one.

Deauville is a great bike for filtering. I did it for over 18 months with mine. Would go back to one anyday

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement