Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

unkel wrote: »
    Why would you want to install a third party AV in W10? Defender works fine, is free, doesn't need registration, updates itself and doesn't fook up any other programs.

Another thing I find weird about this thread is why people want to install Windows 10 on either overly complicated set-ups or ancient pcs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone know how I can view RAW (.CR2) files on Windows 10? Normally you just install the Windows Codec Pack but any version I try says its not for this version of windows. Any ideas?

I'm having an odd thing on 2 laptops where it won't remember the wireless key and I have to keep re-entering it each time I start up! Now it may be my fault as I replaced my modem recently or that might be just a coincidence.

Funny thing is I installed Linux Mint on one of the laptops to dual boot with W10 and it fixed the problem on that one! W10 now remembers the key simply because I installed Linux Mint. Which is fcuking mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

W10 now remembers the key simply because I installed Linux Mint.

Eh, no :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone have issues with switching off the request for a password at start up ? As far as I'm concerned I have it set not to ask but it still asks for one upon boot up ? Am I missing an option elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Windows 10 is also free for those who have pirated previous versions of Windows. To me, this essentially means that Windows 10 is free for every consumer, not just those with 7 and 8. They might as well come out and say that people can download windows 10 for free, as there's no effective difference now.

See here.

Have to admire their commitment to this massive ecosystem play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The new build is out, one to two new builds per month from here on out.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thinking of upgrading my Windows 7 laptop to the 10 technical preview

Anyone done the same? Good/Bad idea?

I only use it for web browsing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

done both laptop and computer from windows 7 to 10. definetly notices faster loading times starting up.

lads wanted to ask has anyone else noticed that the sytem takes about 30seconds to a minute to completely shut down after the screen has been turned off. ive noticed this that it shuts down everything knocks off the screen but fans and lights stay running for about 30seconds after this. having the issue with both the laptop and the desktop. also lagging if the computer is running for too long like few hours. quick reboot and right as rain and restarting takes longer than a shut down and boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

As it gets more stable, I'm strongly thinking about installing this over my several Win 7 installs. A few questions for those who made the jump:

Is media sharing working OK? I have a Win7 based media server where all other devices and computers stream media from.

Is Bitlocker available on the Technical Builds? If so, is it stable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep Bitlocker worked fine as does media sharing

I installed the latest build today.. and have already rolled back to 8.1. On the plus side, it's starting to come together now and they've implemented the option to change the default Explorer view setting (it's under View>Options>General) but YouTube kept freezing the machine in full screen mode.. well sorta - the image froze while the sound continued on, and none of the keys were responsive so a hard reboot was the only answer.. someone else reported the same online.

I think I'll sit tight till the Summer.. 3/4 months for them to make it stable isn't that long - but to be honest unless you use IE (I don't) or are hyped about Cortana (not available here anyway without region tweaks) then I'm not sure if there's a compelling reason to upgrade.

For example.. they seem determined to bury the Control Panel applets inside a myriad of not-always-obvious groups in the new Settings app (I don't like that they've removed Windows Update from CP entirely in the recent builds and instead replaced it with a dumbed-down version in the Settings), and the new Start menu still isn't a patch on the Win 7 version - probably why Stardock are already working on a Start 10

Hopefully by RTM they will have sorted this stuff out without gutting it/over-simplifying it too much

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cortana (not available here anyway without region tweaks)

It is since yesterday (build 10041) :)

UK region that is, also France, Germany, China and a few others from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Jhcx wrote: »
    done both laptop and computer from windows 7 to 10. definetly notices faster loading times starting up.

lads wanted to ask has anyone else noticed that the sytem takes about 30seconds to a minute to completely shut down after the screen has been turned off. ive noticed this that it shuts down everything knocks off the screen but fans and lights stay running for about 30seconds after this. having the issue with both the laptop and the desktop. also lagging if the computer is running for too long like few hours. quick reboot and right as rain and restarting takes longer than a shut down and boot
    I haven't tried Windows 10 yet but Windows 8 is the same (for me). As far as I know it's because Windows 8 uses a hybrid shutdown which is a combination of a full shut down and hibernation. The hybrid shutdown allows much faster boot times. Some info on it here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zascar wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can view RAW (.CR2) files on Windows 10? Normally you just install the Windows Codec Pack but any version I try says its not for this version of windows. Any ideas?

They seem to preview fine in explorer and open in the new Photos app with some basic editing tools.

EDIT: so I've spent a bit of time with 10041 and its a mixed bag. On the plus side it runs well and is feeling less and less like Windows 8.2. I've got a couple of problems running some games mostly because of uplay (so that's normal I guess).

They seem to be transitioning more and more into a distinct location for system settings. However we still have the dual world of dusty old reliable tools and the new mobilesque checkbox approach.

Coming from a *nix background the implementation of multiple desktops is still pretty ropey. They seem to be copying OS X's Mission Control interface but pretty poorly. SUPER tabbing opens the desktop switcher but windows on your current desktop appear directly over themselves making for a jarring visual experience. Mousing over the icons/tiles for other desktops results in the icon deemphasising which is confusing when the icons are barely apparent in the first place and show nothing of their content. Perhaps the touch experience is better?

The new Start Menu is awful, I really liked the resizable one in the prior builds. It was a pragmatic approach to the problem of keeping legacy users happy while moving forward and it seemed MS were listening. The new one just goes back on everything and we get this great big screen filling expanse of nothingness. Right clicking the Windows Icon to access system tools has been a nice feature for awhile now tho.

tl;dr watching MS scramble to copy but not copy OS X and not understand why these features exist on that platform in the first place is painful.

Laptop just updated to 10041 and oh man is it buggy. Serveral drivers have crashed and the auto hide function fails to work on the show hidden items and wont respond when the start menu is open. Window size is out of size. when maximising to full window the border is extremely tight. only thing i can do is readjust my resolution and see if that fixes it. Notification center keeps reporting messages yet when opened nothing to display.

Edit: Got most the drivers sorted. simple uninstall and reinstall worked. Also discovered the computer set itself for fast build updates. not to my approval. would explain a lot of the issues. over all nothing major with the change bar the transparency menu

Laptop just updated to 10041 and oh man is it buggy. Serveral drivers have crashed and the auto hide function fails to work on the show hidden items and wont respond when the start menu is open. Window size is out of size. when maximising to full window the border is extremely tight. only thing i can do is readjust my resolution and see if that fixes it. Notification center keeps reporting messages yet when opened nothing to display.

Edit: Got most the drivers sorted. simple uninstall and reinstall worked. Also discovered the computer set itself for fast build updates. not to my approval. would explain a lot of the issues. over all nothing major with the change bar the transparency menu

The only way to get 10041 is to be on the fast ring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Has anyone gotten Cortana to work on 10041 without using the "set every region setting to US" workaround? I was trying it the other day and couldn't get anywhere with it, the Cortana Settings pane wouldn't even open for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

Where's windows 9

Where's windows 9

It's windows 10 this year. Maybe windows 9 next year? What do you think yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My laptop got caught in a "system thread exception not handled" boot crash -> diagnose -> restart -> repair -> crash loop.

Turning off the wifi using the hardware switch in the laptop allows it to boot up. I can then turn the wifi back on and all is fine.

Just in case anyone else finds themselves locked out in a similar way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Where's windows 9

They had to call it 10 as 7 8 9.

Where's windows 9

Version detection problems. Some dodgy programs were assuming that "Windows 9" was 95 or 98. Could cause all sorts of problems.

CatInABox wrote: »
    The only way to get 10041 is to be on the fast ring.

I know that. But I've always kept it on slow. Can't really afford to be accepting early upgrades. Never the less its gonna be interesting. Back on slow now.

Cortana Now works in the UK under 10041. Settings most likely would need to be set to UK.

I know that. But I've always kept it on slow. Can't really afford to be accepting early upgrades. Never the less its gonna be interesting. Back on slow now.

Cortana Now works in the UK under 10041. Settings most likely would need to be set to UK.

Ah, I see that's what you were complaining about, sorry.

Ironically enough, I had loads of problems with 10041 as well, but it turned out that almost all of them were unrelated to the build. Troubleshooting a short in my mouse, which only started acting up when I upgraded, was a total nightmare.

Anyone getting no sound after updating?

Sound works ok but you might have to uninstall the driver and reinstall. for some reason the update damaged some drivers even though it is reporting them as working correctlyi

Got it sorted, had to change the Drivers by selecting from a list

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

All ok for me but man I wish they would let me know they were going to update was a pain waiting when I needed the pc straight away.

Ya it's a pity there's not a install now button. Was using mine and left it for few minutes and then it was suddenly updating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Still can't get Cortana working, any time I try and open the relevant settings the window sits there doing nothing. Sometimes I get a pop up a few minutes later saying "not available in your region". Which is daft, as I'm both in the UK and running a system with UK regional settings.

Haven't done much else with it, really, though I notice that even though my test laptop is on generally inferior hardware to my main machine, ifI log into both at the same time from a cold boot, 10 drops me to the desktop a good bit faster than 7, which is good. I suspect they've borrowed Apple's trick from OS X of working out how to have a user session persist after a reboot, which would make me quite happy if it works reliably.

Advertisement