Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

The desktop is after updating to the new build and its set on slow so it must be officially being released. finding it much slower to load the start menu and applications than the previous build. haven't checked whats gone missing but im sure time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I spoke too soon had no sound after the update drivers wouldn't update manually had to roll back to 9926

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you try uninstalling / reinstalling the driver? I can see no reason why your driver working in 9926 would no longer work in 10041 tbh...

for some reason the drivers keep crashing. my synaptic's driver stops working everytime i start the laptop. absolutely no reason for it to do so.

Tried reinstalling but a quick google shows lots of driver problems across the board Ill wait till its a bit more stable before rolling forward

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ok, so Cortana is now finally showing up as an option for me. As I expected, it demands a Microsoft Account as part of setting it up, so I haven't gone any further yet, but I figured I'd mention the two things that seemed to make a difference for me in getting it to work:
    1. Check all language & location settings and ensure they're internally consistent. Reboot after making any changes to ensure they have taken effect.
    2. Create a new user account and try to enable Cortana with this account.

Apparently it won't work if your input language/location doesn't match the default for the installation image you've installed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

New build is out on the fast ring, with Spartan included this time.

See here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CatInABox wrote: »
    New build is out on the fast ring, with Spartan included this time.

See here.

Installing it at the moment. Looking forward to trying out Spartan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Installing it at the moment. Looking forward to trying out Spartan.

Let us know if it includes proper Chrome-style syncing. That, and the extensions, is why I use Google's offering myself. You just log on and all your bookmarks, plugins and settings are instantly replicated. Especially useful when you have multiple devices (as most people do nowadays)

It's kinda ridiculous that IE still doesn't have that (and Firefox's version seems to be fairly poor too).. hopefully they learn from the mistake this time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let us know if it includes proper Chrome-style syncing. That, and the extensions, is why I use Google's offering myself. You just log on and all your bookmarks, plugins and settings are instantly replicated. Especially useful when you have multiple devices (as most people do nowadays)

It's kinda ridiculous that IE still doesn't have that (and Firefox's version seems to be fairly poor too).. hopefully they learn from the mistake this time!

Spartan is missing basic features at this point, it doesn't even have a downloads section, or even something as basic as history. Haven't seen anything in it about syncing or extensions yet, and it's not good enough to become my number one browser yet, but I'll still keep using it every once in a while to give them some usage metrics.

On Firefox, they changed the sync a while back, and it's a lot better now. Had to set it up again, as while the previous sync was still active, it doesn't automatically move you onto the latest one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Small issue with 10041 today and 10049 after the update. The Start menu search wouldn't work. Restarting Explorer seems to have fixed it.

Max Payne 3 and U(gh)Play now work too.

The updated desktop switcher is better too, and more closely copies Mission Control from OS X. Desktop thumbnails now show the desktop background instead of the naff deemphasise effect. Windows also zoom/fly into the screen centre and back out rather than leaving a copy of themselves behind confusing matters.

Windows 10 is becoming Windows X.

Had a similar issue when I rolled back here is a fix
    Launch the Registry Editor (hit the Windows key and R, type regedit, and then press Enter) and then navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher

Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience.
    Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0.
    Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer -- or just restart Explorer. (If you can still right-click on your start button, you can use Task Manager to restart Explorer.)

Then after I re updated and all is fine there was an update for the drivers available so all happy again. The start bug stopped all the apps from running to for some reason didn't go looking for the answer as I was re updating anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Couldn't get 10049 to install tonight; it downloads fine then has a whinge about available space (just under 20GB free on its partition so not sure what the problem is), and helpfully says "we need to free up 0.0MB of space to complete the install". This persists through a reboot. Am ignoring it until the weekend when I've got more time to convince the bloody thing that it does not, in fact, need more free space to get on with things.

Fysh wrote: »
    Couldn't get 10049 to install tonight; it downloads fine then has a whinge

Had similar trouble last night on a tablet and an old PC. Not sure if the problems were during download or install. Systems both seem to hang during the process. Eventually both worked after rebooting / trying a few times. My main PC (7 years old) upgraded fine first attempt 2 days ago.

Several million technical previewers downloading several GB each from Microsoft at the same time maybe cause the problems?

So having a few issues with streams age of empires 2. Which opens but as soon as you click play it's just vanishes and doesn't run. But unfortunately I'm getting no errors to help me identify the issue. All other steam games are working. I'm also having a problem with Rome total war. System keeps saying its incompatible. Even after running through the compatibility tests. I know for one of my dell drivers it had the same issue and according to dell you have to go into the program files and run the tests from there. I've tried following the same procedure but unfortunately I do not know which file I'm looking for. Currently running 10049

Have you tried the usual tricks of running the game's executable with Admin privileges and/or setting compatibility mode?

Haven't tried admin. But always tick the admin box when troubleshooting still no joy and the forums are useless for help. They go as far as turn off your antivirus and hey presto it just work. If only was that simple.

On a sidenote the laptop is after updating to 10049 and a disaster it is. Crashing the whole system can't even access the settings. Gonna revert back to 9926 least I know that works. Must have got bad download file

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Who wants to go in with me on betting on whether Microsoft kind of turns the "touch UI" side of windows 10 into a Halo/Forerunner style UI as a tie in to the release of Halo 5: Guardians, allowing Xbox One and PC players to play over the same Xbox Live?

Microsoft models tiles UI after Halo: 2:1 Odds
    Microsoft will launch Halo 5 on the same day as Windows 10: 5:1 odds
    Microsoft will launch Halo 5 on the same week as Windows 10: 5:3 odds
    Microsoft will launch Halo 5 multiplayer with PC-Xbox Cross Support: 5:4 odds
    Microsoft will add Halo 5 cross-platform support post-release: 10:9 odds
    Microsoft will upgrade Minecraft Xbox players to full PC versions of Minecraft: 10:9 odds
    Microsoft will launch Halo 5 as a native dx12 game: 20:19 odds
    Microsoft announces Hololens support for Minecraft: 50:49 odds...

hololens-660x369.jpg

Keep in mind, this is a company that is now giving away Windows 10 for free, and at the same time spending millions of dollars investing in Virtual Reality Headsets. So this is not that far fetched.

3D Model of VR Headset: https://sketchfab.com/models/e6247ba91c6845c2948cdc342dcf3481%20

Halo 5 Release Date Oct 27: http://news.yahoo.com/halo-5-release-date-140100135.html

http://thefusejoplin.com/2015/03/hololens-windows-10-simultaneous-release-date/

25570.jpg

Hololens Official Store Page: http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us?ocid=ASPEN_SEM_bing_&cid=ASPEN_SEM_bing_

I'm getting a bit bored of the constant "ZOMG WIN10 IS FREE!!!!!!!" narrative, because thus far what we've got is a time-limted free upgrade for existing users, not unlimited free-as-in-beer licenses for all comers. Unless I've missed a massive and verified statement from Microsoft recently, this is just them improving on the early-adopter upgrade pricing they've offered around the last couple of Windows releases at least. (Whether or not it's spurred by Apple dropping the cost of OS X upgrades to zero - ie most likely just folding them into the cost of hardware purchases - isn't really relevant, though I'm sure many will jump to claim that's the motivation...)

Why would they make their OS free when they currently have a revenue stream for it? I see it as much more likely that they'd offer a subscription service like they have done with Office 365 than just throwing away a load of money for no discernible reason. Given how much money they get from large customers for SA contracts to cover Windows upgrades on existing machines, I think it's far from inevitable that Windows will become free as of Windows 10's release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Are there any iso's for the latest build available yet?
    I've had no luck getting mine to update to it.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Why would they make their OS free when they currently have a revenue stream for it? I see it as much more likely that they'd offer a subscription service like they have done with Office 365 than just throwing away a load of money for no discernible reason. Given how much money they get from large customers for SA contracts to cover Windows upgrades on existing machines, I think it's far from inevitable that Windows will become free as of Windows 10's release date.

I agree with this .. I think subscriptions will be the norm going forward.

Just as Win 8.1 was available through the Store for free, I can imagine future updates being rolled out the same way. Maybe you'll have to pay for them, or maybe just for major version changes (ie Win 11).

Given that hardware development has kinda stagnated insofar as there's no NEED to upgrade the machine every time a new Windows comes out (indeed Win 8 ran better on existing machines than 7 did in most cases), I think this is the most logical choice in a market dominated by "free"/subscription software.

Personally speaking, if I could get the same sort of deal as with Office 365 (5 licenses for a tenner per month) then I'd be happy enough

54kroc wrote: »
    Are there any iso's for the latest build available yet?
    I've had no luck getting mine to update to it.

According to this post, ISOs won't be released until the update is pushed out to the Slow ring.

anyone else getting a lot of defender updates??

So, it looks likely that there'll be a late July release for Windows 10.

See here.

It's certainly coming together in the different builds, but is it slightly optimistic? Plenty of stuff left to introduce, never mind fully develop, with three and a half months (or so) left.

Presumably, it could be released in an unfinished state and then get a day one patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm concerned about that, since none of the builds I've seen so far have Cortana doing anything more than "sorry, I can't do that" etc. even for basic queries like "search bing for coffee," "what is the weather?" "what time is it"

So, it looks likely that there'll be a late July release for Windows 10.

See here.

It's certainly coming together in the different builds, but is it slightly optimistic? Plenty of stuff left to introduce, never mind fully develop, with three and a half months (or so) left.

Presumably, it could be released in an unfinished state and then get a day one patch.

I wouldn't consider it anyway near ready as a modern OS goes. It's a functional version of Windows with a few odd features from *nix OSes added on here and there but that's about it. It still feels schizophrenic as it tries to be one OS to rule all devices. If the summer release is close to what we have now it'll be pretty underwhelming.

Anyway I'm not really in the target market for Windows anymore. At home I use it for games because I must and in work I run a VM with exactly two applications that I need (one of which runs fine under Wine if I was bothered).

New build is out, 10061, and it's got a doozy of a known issue. Basically Win32 apps can't launch from the start menu, you have to search for them and open them that way.

For anyone not interested in dealing with work-arounds like that, I'd recommend swapping over to the slow ring before it's installed.

New build is out, 10061, and it's got a doozy of a known issue. Basically Win32 apps can't launch from the start menu, you have to search for them and open them that way.

For anyone not interested in dealing with work-arounds like that, I'd recommend swapping over to the slow ring before it's installed.

Installed it here this evening and I'm liking some of the changes already like the theme tweaks. Plus the Mail/People and Office Preview apps are working properly whereas they wouldn't even install for me before
    One thing I'll be testing is if YouTube videos in Chrome still stall as they did under 10049. The audio would play on but the picture would freeze.. still, better than earlier builds when this would freeze the whole machine.

Start Menu isn't a problem as I'm using Start 10 as I did with Win 8.x .. best of all worlds really :)

Quick update...

Had 2 blue screens with ntfs.sys errors. Google suggests (for earlier builds) that this might be Bitdefender causing an issue so I've uninstalled it to see if it's right (didn't happen with 10049 though!)

• Advertisement

Have it running on two machines. First one installed very quickly (but that was a pretty vanilla 10049 install) but the other (fresh install from the very first TP and updated with all updates ever since, my main PC so running lots of software) took 2 attempts. Far better than the previous version and it got rid of a nasty shutdown error I had
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    this might be Bitdefender causing an issue so I've uninstalled it to see if it's right

I wouldn't go near any 3rd party AV software until it hits RTM. Caused major headaches with W8 previews too.

Advertisement