Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just got upgraded from 10061 to 10074

First impression is that you can indeed open 32-bit applications from the start menu again. Bug fixed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Laptop just updated to 10061. I like that they brought back more aero look. There definitely putting work into this. Honestly i think this could be the system i try to get everyone to move to. encompasses all of the good of 7 and the future of 8 style

If you're keen on the user experience, you can switch to the fast track upgrades and go 10074. The new built-in Windows sounds are quite nice! :)

unkel wrote: »
    If you're keen on the user experience, you can switch to the fast track upgrades and go 10074. The new built-in Windows sounds are quite nice! :)

No I did that or they did that. And the royally screwed over the laptop and desktop so I had to revert back 2 the start. The desktop is a disaster. Menu bar just freezes and unable to shut down log off or anything. so there both back on the slow track

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jhcx wrote: »
    No I did that or they did that. And the royally screwed over the laptop and desktop so I had to revert back 2 the start. The desktop is a disaster. Menu bar just freezes and unable to shut down log off or anything. so there both back on the slow track

That's happened to me a few times
    I just restart windows explorer in the task manager and it's all hunky dory again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have Build 10041 of W 10. Tried to update to Build 10074 yesterday and it come up with an "Unexpected Error" half way through the installsation and proceeds to revert to the previous version:mad:.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So the resizable Start Menu is back, sort of, if you think jumping a quarter of your screen size at a time is resizable.
    You can remove the Most Used apps but not recently added seemingly. Pin to start is only via tiles now, ugh.
    You can have a functional Start menu or you can have a neat Start menu, pick one.

Also my ASUS 802.11ac Wireless dongle keeps disconnecting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have Build 10041 of W 10. Tried to update to Build 10074 yesterday and it come up with an "Unexpected Error" half way through the installsation and proceeds to revert to the previous version:mad:.

Well, that's unexpected.... :pac:

If it rolled back ok, then try it out again, it might work this time.

CatInABox wrote: »

Having the same issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jhcx wrote: »
    Having the same issue.

I've had a few fail on me the first time, they worked the second time around.

• Advertisement

Tried it again overnight. Same result. It a 3+ hour task to install the latest update so not for daytime use;)

I heard of someone it took 7 hours - but it did complete successfully!

My 2 (7 and 8 year old) PCs took 30 minutes and 1 hour. 10074 is much improved for me with several bugs that annoyed me now sorted

Perhaps it's a better idea to upgrade all the different steps one at a time rather than jump from say 10041 to 10074, something I doubt very much MS is testing...

I've had a few fail on me the first time, they worked the second time around.

I tried a few time now. But no luck. So ibe out in back on the fast ring and will let it push itself.

Tried it again this evening.This time it came up with the message "System_thread_exception_not_handled" and it proceeded to resurrect and install the previous version. The pc then rebooted under Build 10041 and the gave me the message "Sorry we could'nt complete the update to Windows 10. We've restored your previous version to this PC. 0x1900101-0x30018"

What does all that mean?:confused:

Tried it again this evening.This time it came up with the message "System_thread_exception_not_handled" and it proceeded to resurrect and install the previous version. The pc then rebooted under Build 10041 and the gave me the message "Sorry we could'nt complete the update to Windows 10. We've restored your previous version to this PC. 0x1900101-0x30018"

What does all that mean?:confused:

From looking around on the internet, that 0x code is related to device drivers. Could be that something is tripping up the install while trying to search for drivers. Perhaps unplug any unnecessary USB devices, that is, if you try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Can Windows 10 be installed directly from the desktop. I have it on USB but it wont boot up from it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just always do those images from BIOS personally. Don't think I was able to get it to go from DT but I could be wrong

Overheal wrote: »
    I just always do those images from BIOS personally. Don't think I was able to get it to go from DT but I could be wrong

I have it on USB from which Iv tried to boot but for some reason it wont, I tried it from the USB via the desktop and the installation seemed to start up. I didn't let it continue just in case it tried and failed. Im guessing it can be done that way but I dont want the hassle if its not meant to be done that way. Hopefully some one here can give me the heads up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You should be able to install it from the Desktop but check the following:

- Do you have the right image for the machine? A 64-bit image won't work if it's 32-bit hardware
    - Check the BIOS and try and put it in legacy boot mode. Newer ones with Secure Boot/UEFI can cause issues with booting from USB
    - Use Rufus to create the bootable USB from the ISO. Great little program that I use a lot

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You should be able to install it from the Desktop but check the following:

- Do you have the right image for the machine? A 64-bit image won't work if it's 32-bit hardware
    - Check the BIOS and try and put it in legacy boot mode. Newer ones with Secure Boot/UEFI can cause issues with booting from USB
    - Use Rufus to create the bootable USB from the ISO. Great little program that I use a lot

Its a 64bit machine running Windows 7. I dont have a Windows 7 install disc to re install if things go wrong that's the the only really im kind of hesitant. Ill try Rufus I have used that before when installing Linux so maybe that will help.

• Advertisement

OK just an update, I got it to install from USB via the desktop. Its working perfectly fine at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fysh wrote: »
    Why would they make their OS free when they currently have a revenue stream for it? I see it as much more likely that they'd offer a subscription service like they have done with Office 365 than just throwing away a load of money for no discernible reason. Given how much money they get from large customers for SA contracts to cover Windows upgrades on existing machines, I think it's far from inevitable that Windows will become free as of Windows 10's release date.
    I agree with this .. I think subscriptions will be the norm going forward.

Looks like this is the way it's going alright....
    it looks like the manufacturer is going to start offering "Windows as a service", with frequently-scheduled updates that continually evolve the operating system. In a statement to The Verge, Microsoft said:

"Recent comments at Ignite about Windows 10 are reflective of the way Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner, with continuous value for our consumer and business customers.

We aren't speaking to future branding at this time, but customers can be confident Windows 10 will remain up-to-date and power a variety of devices from PCs to phones to Surface Hub to HoloLens and Xbox. We look forward to a long future of Windows innovations."

We're already seeing how this may be implemented with security updates. Microsoft announced that it would end its monthly security update release cycle, called Patch Tuesday, instead delivering updates as soon as they are ready.

So just like things like Chrome (and Office 365), updates and features will just be delivered silently going forward which personally I think is a good thing - the only questions now are around the pricing model they'll adopt. I'm not sure the current 365 plan (where it drops into reduced functionality if you don't keep up the sub) would work for a full OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Looks like this is the way it's going alright....

So just like things like Chrome (and Office 365), updates and features will just be delivered silently going forward which personally I think is a good thing - the only questions now are around the pricing model they'll adopt. I'm not sure the current 365 plan (where it drops into reduced functionality if you don't keep up the sub) would work for a full OS.

I would think the OS would be free, and you will pay for the apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just upgraded my play around desktop machine to windows 7 using the windows update feature pretty flawless all done in about 20 -30mins. some of the programs didnt upgrade though but mostly everything seems to be working. no idea what build it is

It's printed in the bottom right of your desktop wallpaper

I'm on build 10074 and I cant get my start menu to run whatsoever. I can use the power menu and run commands but the Start UI is nowhere. Cortana is still region locked and I'm in the US.

That's strange regarding the Start menu, mine is working perfectly, I'm on the same build as you. I haven't tried Cortana yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Overheal wrote: »
    It's printed in the bottom right of your desktop wallpaper

I'm on build 10074 and I cant get my start menu to run whatsoever. I can use the power menu and run commands but the Start UI is nowhere. Cortana is still region locked and I'm in the US.

I've had serious problems with 10074. It started with an unresponsive start menu and went downhill from there. It worked fine at first, a little less responsive than the previous build but nothing major. Then the start menu stopped responding. Then chrome started crashing on launch and wouldn't close. Then task manager wouldn't launch. Finally it got to the stage where I'd get as far as the login screen, enter my password and be faced with a black screen with a cursor and nothing more.

This repeated on two computers, one modern, one ancient. I did a refresh on the modern laptop and it's sort of okay now. The start menu works some of the time. I can't afford to lose all my programs on the ancient desktop though. So I'm trying to find an alternative solution. System restore and rollback are unavailable. I foolishly disabled both to free up space on the tiny SSD I have in it.

Has anyone else encountered the black screen with cursor? I can boot into safe mode and I've tried uninstalling all the recent updates, but normal boot still lands me at the black screen. I'm really hoping for a stable new build at this point.

Yeah I basically consider the build to be unstable.

Working fine for me here, on two old computers. One my main PC. Completely stable, several small issues sorted compared to the previous version. Everything works, no problems.

• Advertisement

Mine is working perfectly apart from two small issues. 1: the weather app constantly resets to London. 2: desktop wallpaper comes and goes so sometimes its the picture i use sometimes its just black.

Other than those two things i find it great.

Advertisement