Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Would you guys recommend the latest build as a daily OS? Work takes me away from any dependable internet for four weeks in every six, so have been very reluctant to try it out yet

Cheers in advance folks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

muff03 wrote: »
    Would you guys recommend the latest build as a daily OS? Work takes me away from any dependable internet for four weeks in every six, so have been very reluctant to try it out yet

Cheers in advance folks

A new build is out today, so most likely you'd be getting it with the rest of us. Let you know in a few days.

EDIT: New build is out, along with this issue:
    There is one serious known issue: Users with AMD graphics cards will likely experience frequent crashes in Microsoft Edge. To avoid that, switch to the Slow ring and wait for the next build. (Navigate to Settings, Update & security, Windows Update, Advanced.) Or wait until Microsoft provides a fix, which could happen before the next build.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,481 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

10122 - they're jumping the numbers a bit alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

CatInABox wrote: »
    A new build is out today, so most likely you'd be getting it with the rest of us. Let you know in a few days.

EDIT: New build is out, along with this issue:

AMD graphics eh? That's me out so. I'll update my laptop now and see how stable it it. I wonder if I can force an update in safe mode on my desktop? I doubt it. I'd say I'm looking at a refresh to get it back in working order. Going to be a pain to reinstall everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

10122 - they're jumping the numbers a bit alright
    Some intern kept clicking Compile to do his debugging/proof-reading

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote:

I've been using 10122 for a couple of days now, and it's pretty stable for me. I'm using an AMD driver, and have just avoided Microsoft Edge. There's a few graphical issues in random places, like the tab bar in Firefox.

In saying that, I haven't had any problems with any of the previous builds either, while a few on here have had nightmares with it. Maybe wait until a few people give reports on stability?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anyone else experiencing Chrome scrolling a whole page on Boards here when you refresh it under 10122?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

I installed the preview a couple of days ago in lieu of refreshing my laptop.

I am not well versed in the technical side of computers but I have found this to be easy enough to run. But I guess I would be representative of your ordinary user.

Must say I am impressed so far. Much better than 8.1. This is going to do well for Microsoft I think.

Its been very stable for me, the new build even more so. Edge is a bit of a nightmare but I am pretty invested in the google environment and chrome has been working perfectly for me.

All in all a big step forward for Microsoft though they have achieved it by taking a step back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I've been running Windows 10 since it first came out on my pc and laptop. I've made the decision to go back to Windows 7. I have really liked it but there are a few little things that just big the crap out of me and I cant stand it any more. Just Windows explorer, the quick access, networking etc. I'll miss some bits but for now I say goodbye...

PC demanding a reboot, presuming that reboot is all aboot a new boot but it's probably just 10122 or something :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I think its just a security update. I done mine last night and that's what it was for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Looks like they pushed out a new build (10130) last night.

Bayberry wrote: »
    Looks like they pushed out a new build (10130) last night.

Yes, a release with a fair bit of polish, and no major bugs this time around.

More details on the changes are here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I really hated the look of Windows 10 at first but it's grown on me a lot. I'm actually pretty excited for its proper release later in the year.

Niemoj wrote: »
    I really hated the look of Windows 10 at first but it's grown on me a lot. I'm actually pretty excited for its proper release later in the year.
    I kept reading all these rants about GUI and UX, and I thought to myself "these people should get a life", but I was surprised to find that after I had the chance to use 10120 for the first time last week, my gut reaction was that is it really does look nice - the screenshots that I had seen in reviews and blog posts don't do it justice.

So the people complaining about various aspects of the UI are right that it really will make a difference (whether they're right about whichever particular aspect of the UI they're complaining about is another thing). I think Microsoft has put together a look that feels very "now", and it will draw customers in. The critics will always take issue with whatever Microsoft releases, but I think the general public will react well to the look of Windows 10, and the much more versatile "universal apps" that can actually "window" like traditional windows programs that they are all used to, rather than the full screen "Metro" apps, that didn't quite work the way that even people who run all their programs full screen anyway, were used to.

I have a working start menu again at least.

No Cortana in my region. Again, I'm baffled. Region is naturally en-us

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

noticed this am a 'get windows 10' button on my taskbar (win 8.1). I assume this is a link to a pre full release version, which I don't want. Anyone else notice this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

bodonnell wrote: »
    noticed this am a 'get windows 10' button on my taskbar (win 8.1). I assume this is a link to a pre full release version, which I don't want. Anyone else notice this

It is for the full release and is not a trial. Wont download or install until the release is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

I want to test this out on my raspberry pi 2, has anyone else tried it?
    Where would I go for a installer?

• Advertisement

micknail wrote: »
    I want to test this out on my raspberry pi 2, has anyone else tried it?
    Where would I go for a installer?

The second result when I enter Win10 raspberry pi into Bing is:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/windows-10-for-iot/

That page links to Microsofts instructions for installing Win10 on an RPi 2
    http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SetupRPI.htm

(Unfortunately, I only have a B+ that I received as a gift in November. And I haven't even done anything with it :-( )

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Bayberry wrote: »
    The second result when I enter Win10 raspberry pi into Bing is:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/windows-10-for-iot/

That page links to Microsofts instructions for installing Win10 on an RPi 2
    http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SetupRPI.htm

(Unfortunately, I only have a B+ that I received as a gift in November. And I haven't even done anything with it :-( )

I just use mine as a htpc, running kodi
    tis pretty nifty! Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Windows 10 Build 10130
    Does anybody know how to change border app colour

in Windows 8.1 its just right click on desktop Personalize and choose colour
    custom

cant find it in windows 10 really annoying border colour is stuck at white

By the way download Freee movies app it's great for watching free movies
    seems to only work with windows 10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Start>Settings>Personalisation. Select Coloors from the side bar and switch off "Automatically select colour from my background"

5uspect wrote: »
    Start>Settings>Personalisation. Select Coloors from the side bar and switch off "Automatically select colour from my background"

Don't have that option
    what I have
    1 . Automatically pick an accent colour from my background

2. Show colour on Start, taskbar and action centre

3. make Start ,taskbar and action centre transparent

nothing for changing App colour
    Looks like the Title for App will stay as white

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BennyBiscuits

I'm hopeful that Dx12 might help out my rig with more recent demanding games like The Witcher 3 and such. Since its supposed to greatly improve communications between hardware components.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, a release with a fair bit of polish, and no major bugs this time around.

Spent a couple of hours with 10130 today - it glitched a couple of times (the desktop process restarted twice, and Spartan/Edge locked up hard, and Cortana popped up an went away again unprompted a couple of times. And Windows Media Player offered to play some WTV files that I had on the newtork, but only played the audio, not the video. I was able to install the VLC app form the Store though, and it played the WTV file properly.

I even played a game of Solitaire, for old times sake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Now running the new build with no problems even the previously problematic weather app is behaving itself :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Rambo wrote: »
    Don't have that option
    what I have
    1 . Automatically pick an accent colour from my background

2. Show colour on Start, taskbar and action centre

3. make Start ,taskbar and action centre transparent

nothing for changing App colour
    Looks like the Title for App will stay as white

Well switch off the first option, it's pretty much identical.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Well switch off the first option, it's pretty much identical.

I did that no change

Advertisement