Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CatInABox wrote: »
    You could re-download the driver from Intel?

I'll be trying that, but the odd thing is I'm pretty sure I didn't need to do anything to get the chipset and adapter working when I first installed the preview.

OTOH, I've just checked and Intel have that chipset listed as EOL so I can't really complain if it takes a bit of extra legwork to get it working. Just annoying that there's no obvious reason for it to have stopped working. Even when I did the reset on build 10130 it still worked with no fiddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The activate windows water mark is gone from the desktop but still asking in settings anyone know what the story is? Is this a widespread thing, my key is genuwine so im wondering is it best to wait until the RTM and see what happens????? Other than that iv had zero issues with 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

I'm having major enough problem with Audio playback stuttering when multitasking. I wonder is this a win10 issue or a ssd issue. Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm having major enough problem with Audio playback stuttering when multitasking. I wonder is this a win10 issue or a ssd issue. Anyone else having this problem?

It's probably a drver issue if you didn't have it under Win 8/7 previously. I've had a bit of audio stuttering myself.

Realistically it'll probably take a few months before the various chipset/hardware manufacturers get stable reliable drivers out there, and some may never be updated depending on age and the stated support policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anyone wondering why their Start Menu and installed Apps isn't syncing anymore? That's because they're removed that feature
    Microsoft has confirmed that it will remove two sync features from Windows 10 that are currently included in Windows 8 and 8.1. That means Windows 10 users who own more than one device that use one Microsoft account will have to do some things manually that were done automatically in Windows 8/8.1.

In Microsoft's current PC operating system, users can sync up their Start menu layout across PCs, tablets and notebooks. They can also install an app from the Windows Store and have it appear on other devices with the same Microsoft account. However, WinSuperSite has confirmed, via a Microsoft spokesperson, that both sync features will be missing from Windows 10

Seems like a strange choice for something that was probably pretty popular (I found it very useful myself) .. why not just leave it as an option? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It certainly doesn't tally with their "one Windows" rhetoric, but I suspect that the phone form factor is going to lead them to abandon lots of features like that.

Some things just don't translate across form factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Have upgraded then clean installed 3 of my devices so far - wasn't a Windows Insider previously for very long.
    All legit Win8.1 licences, all activated after upgrade and activated after clean install, one was actually an upgrade then full reset.

I'm starting on my two win tablets next - love it so far.

I'm keeping my tv backend at Win8.1 with WMC+dvblink as it works brilliantly but I have a solution for my now Win10 clients for live tv service (Kodi + ServerWMC+pvrWMC, works perfectly can even record on server now which I couldn't do using WMC clients on all devices and it pulls full EPG from WMC server

I'm making my way through all the settings and cannot wait for Windows Phone 10 & Xbox One 10 to complete the circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

irishgeo wrote: »
    switched to microsoft acc , now i cant map to my readynasv2 , i get an error saying "a specified logon session doesnt exist" I tried adding 3 nas accounts into credentials manager with with no joy. any ideas anyone?

finally. :D
    open Secpol.msc , and change the setting Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security: Lan Manager Authentication Level to Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've been running the tech preview as my main OS since late last year and it's been working great. Before that I had an MSDN AA Windows 7 license that expired last year. I haven't seen my original Windows 7 disc in years and the Windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop is worn through.

So I've no qualifying copy of Windows for the free upgrade. My laptop hard drive died this weekend and I've a replacement on the way so an opportune time to make the move to the Windows 10 release this week.

Trying to decide now between buying a Windows 7/8 disc to get the upgrade or to directly buy a Windows 10 licence.

Does anyone know yet, when you upgrade do you get a licence key that you can use for a fresh install in the future? Or would you have to always install the qualifying Window product first?

If you have to "upgrade" each time, will this work after the "free upgrade" year if you need to wipe and restore your system?

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    If you have to "upgrade" each time, will this work after the "free upgrade" year if you need to wipe and restore your system?

Actually this is covered in their Q&A...
    Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

J o e wrote: »
    Actually this is covered in their Q&A...

So, in order to reformat my boot drive and do a clean install on that (it's currently a mess), the best thing would be to install W10 as an upgrade, then boot to the USB with the W10 installer on it and then reformat the drive?

I wonder how that'll work.
    Will there be some utility to create a boot drive on a USB or other media, or will it be as simple as dragging and dropping a file or folder to it?

Gbear wrote: »
    So, in order to reformat my boot drive and do a clean install on that (it's currently a mess), the best thing would be to install W10 as an upgrade, then boot to the USB with the W10 installer on it and then reformat the drive?

Will there be some utility to create a boot drive on a USB or other media, or will it be as simple as dragging and dropping a file or folder to it?

Sounds like they'll have a utility to create boot/recovery media.

I intend to get a copy of Win 7 Pro from Adverts, upgrade to Win 10, create boot/recovery disc, wipe the machine again and do a clean Win 10 install.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You could do a reset through the settings. I've done it a few times now, and as far as I can see, it's the same as a clean install.

You could do a reset through the settings. I've done it a few times now, and as far as I can see, it's the same as a clean install.

But I can't format the hard drive can I?

It would delete all the files on the drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

But I can't format the hard drive can I?

It would delete all the files on the drive.

Just took a quick look, and this is what Microsoft says it does:
    Microsoft has explained what’s actually going on under the hood here. When you reset your PC:
    • The PC boots into Windows RE, the Windows Recovery Environment
    • Windows RE erases and formats the Windows partitions before installing a fresh copy of Windows 8 or 10.
    • The PC restarts into the new copy of Windows.

Ooh.
    That's streamlined.

I like it.:P

Ooh.
    That's streamlined.

I like it.:P

Very. Having used it a few times now, it's definitely gone into my list of reason why people should upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just noticed some unusual network activity to an akamai server on my Windows 7 machine here, where I have a reservation open, and lo and behold it looks like it's busy downloading Windows 10.

There's a hidden folder in C:\ called $Windows.~BT where it downloads everything to.

After rebooting, I now have a Failed update to Windows 10 in my list up updates showing in Windows Update. Maybe it's just downloading today and will present me with the option to update tomorrow. Not that I plan on doing it for now mind you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The general public downloads via auto update started at 0330 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Alun wrote: »
    I just noticed some unusual network activity to an akamai server on my Windows 7 machine here, where I have a reservation open, and lo and behold it looks like it's busy downloading Windows 10.

There's a hidden folder in C:\ called $Windows.~BT where it downloads everything to.

After rebooting, I now have a Failed update to Windows 10 in my list up updates showing in Windows Update. Maybe it's just downloading today and will present me with the option to update tomorrow. Not that I plan on doing it for now mind you.

I think it initially goes to the Windows Software Distribution folder and then it gets moved into that BT folder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Whats the best way to do a clean sweep when 10 is released. laptop is running good. but i only have old software files from earlier builds. and would like to give it a full flush once official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Just took a quick look, and this is what Microsoft says it does:

We just had this debate in working and I said, let me go check boards.

This looks like a helpful option. I will most certainly be doing this!

Hmmm, it's downloaded on both of my machines that I'd reserved it on now, but still isn't offering to actually install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Download today, install tomorrow. I thought tomorrow was the official launch date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Seeing the BT folder as well. Anyone click the setup.exe or setupprep.exe in the folder?

Seeing the BT folder as well. Anyone click the setup.exe or setupprep.exe in the folder?
    Not yet. I have a "sacrificial" laptop that I don't mind screwing up as I have a full image backup anyway, so I may risk it ...

EDIT: 'setup.exe' didn't work, complained about a missing file 'boot.wim'. I don't have a 'setupprep.exe' in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

People are reporting that you can convert the Install.ESD to an ISO and then perform a clean install! Makes sense since that's how I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 from its downloaded ESD file.

Also, don't try running any executables in those download folders as people are seeing files disappearing after they do that (probably not losing anything important but you never know)

Jhcx wrote: »
    Whats the best way to do a clean sweep when 10 is released. laptop is running good. but i only have old software files from earlier builds. and would like to give it a full flush once official.

Windows now includes a "Reset" button, that formats and reinstalls windows. It's found in the settings app.

• Advertisement

Windows now includes a "Reset" button, that formats and reinstalls windows. It's found in the settings app.
    Is this a different one to the reset function in Windows 8?

I never used it because I was never sure what it would wipe, really didn't want it deleting any data partitions I have.

Advertisement