Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

That "$Windows.~BT" folder is on my PC too, about 6GB in size.

I'd much rather do a clean install with an ISO but I guess I'll have to do the upgrade procedure first,
    let it activate on the hardware, then look out for an Official ISO download in the next few days and do
    a clean install later.

They might offer the ISO creation option when installing, like Windows 8, but to be safe I'll upgrade first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You are correct Moon54, best do the upgrade first to get your hardware activated. Also, my BT folder has even more files than earlier including updates and drivers so probably best to let Microsoft trigger the install in case a critical patch is required

Have my PC and laptop (8.1 Pro x64) and my tablet (8.1 x86) on but no activity as of yet. Impatiently waiting! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone using a rift with Windows 8.1 any ideas whether to avoid windows 10 just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Has anyone found out online when Windows 10 will be released in the Irish and British Timezone BST?
    Thanks.

Donne wrote: »
    Has anyone found out online when Windows 10 will be released in the Irish and British Timezone BST?
    Thanks.
    Countdown https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/default.aspx but I read somewhere that it would be at 5am BST
    Anyone using a rift with Windows 8.1 any ideas whether to avoid windows 10 just yet...
    If you have Nvidia then you should wait. Apparently the Oculus runtime only works if you perform an upgrade install and stick to the 350.12 Nvidia driver. The later drivers are based on WDDM 2.0 which the Oculus runtime doesnt fully support yet (no direct mode). Unfortunately I can see a problem with this upgrade as my download folder already has the latest Nvidia driver included so there is probably no way to block it.

C:\$Windows.~BT\Drivers\DU\95455012-24b1-4a5c-8703-051afa66fbc7

If you try to install the Oculus runtime onto a clean install of Windows 10 then Windows goes into a boot loop so don't try that. We have to wait for Oculus to update their drivers to support WDDM 2.0 and not go into a boot loop on a Win10 clean install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep, reading 12am. ET. So around 5am BST as jumbo above says.

Funny, I set my clock to tomorrows date and the countdown is at 0 :)

Looks like all my drivers are downloaded and ready as well.

EDIT: I have a near 7GB BT folder now and "Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe)" is eating about 20% CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Countdown https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/default.aspx but I read somewhere that it would be at 5am BST

If you have Nvidia then you should wait. Apparently the Oculus runtime only works if you perform an upgrade install and stick to the 350.12 Nvidia driver. The later drivers are based on WDDM 2.0 which the Oculus runtime doesnt fully support yet (no direct mode). Unfortunately I can see a problem with this upgrade as my download folder already has the latest Nvidia driver included so there is probably no way to block it.

C:\$Windows.~BT\Drivers\DU\95455012-24b1-4a5c-8703-051afa66fbc7

If you try to install the Oculus runtime onto a clean install of Windows 10 then Windows goes into a boot loop so don't try that. We have to wait for Oculus to update their drivers to support WDDM 2.0 and not go into a boot loop on a Win10 clean install.

I have a Dell Latitude E6430 which has a Nvidia NVS 5200M card. Does that mean I will have an issue clean installing it.

I have got that $Windows.~BT folder too, about 6gb in size.

I think I will wait for few days to explore my options before I upgrade.

Weird nothing on my second laptop.

• Advertisement

A quick question guys, my second laptop is 32bit windows 7, does that mean I am stuck with 32bit or is it possible to upgrade to 64bit Win 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

unless your motherboard is able to support x64 then yes you are stuck with 32. 32 could also be installed due to limited amount of ram on your laptop in order for it to perform better.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

That would be 5AM IST here in Ireland, then.

"British Summer Time" isn't a time zone - it's a legal term defined only in UK law. Ireland uses "Irish Standard Time" to describe the period when Ireland and the UK and Portugal all observe Daylight Savings Time.

(Legally, UTC/GMT is Standard Time in the UK, observed during the winter, and BST their Standard Time +1. In Ireland, Standard Time is UTC+1, and Irish Winter Time is defined as Irish Standard Time -1).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bayberry wrote: »
    That would be 5AM IST here in Ireland, then.

"British Summer Time" isn't a time zone - it's a legal term defined only in UK law. Ireland uses "Irish Standard Time" to describe the period when Ireland and the UK and Portugal all observe Daylight Savings Time.

(Legally, UTC/GMT is Standard Time in the UK, observed during the winter, and BST their Standard Time +1. In Ireland, Standard Time is UTC+1, and Irish Winter Time is defined as Irish Standard Time -1).

It should be 12:00. People are already starting to get it in places where it's already the 27th.

See here.

Jhcx wrote: »
    unless your motherboard is able to support x64 then yes you are stuck with 32. 32 could also be installed due to limited amount of ram on your laptop in order for it to perform better.

Laptop supports 64bit. Just the installed OS is 32bit right now.

Bayberry wrote: »
    OK, strange we don't copy the British for standard time. So, UTC is safer to use then? Winter in Ireland = UTC and Summer = UTC+1
    coldfire1x wrote: »
    A quick question guys, my second laptop is 32bit windows 7, does that mean I am stuck with 32bit or is it possible to upgrade to 64bit Win 10?
    You should probably do the upgrade to 32 bit Win10 and then when the ISOs for Win10 are made available do a clean install to Win10 64 bit. You could also do a clean install of Win7 64-bit now and then upgrade to Win10 64 bit...but that might be more hassle

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's funny, all today I had been complaining about how screwy the internet seemed, pages loading really slowly, if at all, etc.

I've finally just clocked that the roll-out of Windows 10 is crippling everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Anyone have any idea when the likes of Argos,Currys etc will begin to stock windows 10 laptops?
    Surely the price won't be affected that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

OK, strange we don't copy the British for standard time. So, UTC is safer to use then? Winter in Ireland = UTC and Summer = UTC+1

We copied them in 1968 when they decided to observe Summer Time all year round - we passed a law making GMT +1 Standard Time in Ireland for legal purposes. In 1971, they decided to go back to GMT in Winter and GMT+1 in Summer, and so we had to too, but made the change by defining Winter Time as Standard Time -1. For most other countries in Europe, Standard Time is their Winter Time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Ireland

(I know it's all angels-on-a-pinhead stuff but it's still worth pointing it out to people when the issue comes up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Checked for Windows Updates and Windows 10 was ready to install with a "Get Started" button. It's upgrading now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is it with upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Upgrade complete, no issues.

Take a bow Microsoft, I think you've nailed it this time. Very snappy.

I'm on a 5 year old laptop. Hard drive died at the weekend so got a new 1TB hybrid drive into it last night and installed Win 7 and all the upgrades until Win 10 upgrade was available. Booting Windows and onto a website in 11 seconds now. Like a new machine.

Running considerably smoother than the Tech Preview but on a new drive so can't really compare. Any bugs I'd noticed, especially around the search on the taskbar, seem to be resolved.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Is it with upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 10?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone know what usage on internet the download will be ?

Anyone know what usage on internet the download will be ?

Around 6-7gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Hey Guys,

For those of you that have upgraded. What's the average time it takes to complete?

Cheers

Windows 10 ISO's available on Microsoft.com now - click here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I don't have the option to upgrade to it yet.
    So should I just use the download link or wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Only one of my 3 systems has the upgrade available. Installing now....

FYI, I've downloaded the ISO a few times this morning from various computer/connections and it's very slow. I presume the servers are getting hammered. @EoghanIRL, it shouldn't make any difference, as long as you meet the requirements and have a valid win7/8 key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Scrub that. Went into Windows Update manually and the option was there. Installing now on the laptop, downloading the ISO for my desktop for installation (much) later.

If I go for a clean install from the ISO, do I use the key for the Windows 7 version it's overwriting, or what?

Advertisement