Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FYI, I've downloaded the ISO a few times this morning from various computer/connections and it's very slow. I presume the servers are getting hammered. @EoghanIRL, it shouldn't make any difference, as long as you meet the requirements and have a valid win7/8 key.
    Going quite quickly here, about 60Mbit/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yeah I definitely meet the requirements.
    Is the key available on the computer or would it have came with it in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I don't have the option to upgrade to it yet.
    So should I just use the download link or wait?
    Did your PC download the files? If so that's the best option since it also downloads drivers specific to your PC hardware and you'll know for definite that your win10 free upgrade has registered and activated correctly.

That makes sense.
    I'll just wait for it to be rolled out to my computer.
    Hopefully not much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Around 6-7gb.

Thanks I'll be bringing it home to do it so stuck with mobile broadband at the moment

• Advertisement

Just looked in Windows Update on my main desktop and the update is marked as Failed with a 80240020 error. Went into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and deleted anything downloaded yesterday, and manually started wuauclt.exe as Administrator and it's downloading again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

^ Had the same issue as well. Now I have Windows 10 up and running nicely.

Typed this in the CMD to get it going:
    wuauclt.exe /updatenow

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

After checking updates I got an error code #80070005 "update to windows 10 failed"

Any ideas why?

Also I have win 7 premium but it was for win 10 home?

twinex wrote: »
    Also I have win 7 premium but it was for win 10 home?
    Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium users get Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate users get Windows 10 Pro

Karsini wrote: »
    Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium users get Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate users get Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for that, but it looks like with that error I won't be getting any version any time soon :(

......And this morning the little Win 10 icon is gone from my taskbar...miss the little fella already:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

apope8 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

For those of you that have upgraded. What's the average time it takes to complete?

Cheers

About 45-60 mins for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

After checking updates I got an error code #80070005 "update to windows 10 failed"

Any ideas why?

Are you logged in as an admin? This might help debug;
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dont want to upgrade my desktop yet but my netbook running Win 7 isn't getting prompted at all. The notification on windows update (before I check for updates) has disappeared and now it's saying that I only have 3 optional updates.
    Any idea how to force it to offer the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So people who have taken the plung, happy with it? I'm tempted to upgrade now but also considering to wait a while incase any bugs or anything with it. Does it appear to be running well and worth upgrading to straight away? I think the temptation will get the better of me anyway :P

GvidoR wrote: »
    ^ Had the same issue as well. Now I have Windows 10 up and running nicely.

Typed this in the CMD to get it going:

Would that command work for my error ( #800700005 )???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

apope8 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

For those of you that have upgraded. What's the average time it takes to complete?

Cheers

After the download, from 8.1 shutdown to 10 desktop - 50 minutes.
    Would that command work for my error ( #800700005 )???

Did you open CMD as administrator? I got some error when I just opened it the regular way.

J o e wrote: »
    Are you logged in as an admin? This might help debug;
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003

I am yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Looking forward to getting this installed later on my Atom tablet and Ultrabook. I'll install the tablet first to see what the install process is like, before taking the plunge on my main system.

GvidoR wrote: »
    After the download, from 8.1 shutdown to 10 desktop - 50 minutes.

Did you open CMD as administrator? I got some error when I just opened it the regular way.

When I did that the same error on the update window just popped up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Windows 10 reserved just sitting there, let me update :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hmm...

Think I ****ed something up.

I'd left my PC on overnight to see if that would've started off the download early, but it didn't and the message was still in my task bar, saying it'd notify me when it was ready.

I rebooted, and now a conspicuously Windows10-sized chunk of data has disappeared from my boot drive (10GB free to 17.2GB free after a reboot).
    Also, the notification has disappeared.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Windows 10 reserved just sitting there, let me update :(
    Close all open windows/programs.
    Go into your Windows folder-->Software distribution--> Download and delete everything in the download folder.
    If you run CMD as admin and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" it will start to download again and begin installing it for you.
    It might need a reboot before you run the CMD prompt but you should be ok without a reboot.

Even though there was a 2.83GB file on my C drive last night it's downloading it again for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Got the 80240020 error as well, deleted the folder downloaded yesterday in the WIndows/Softwaredistribution/Download folder and ran wuauclt.exe /updatenow form command prompt as administrator. Downloading as we speak at 25%

It doesn't want to offer the installation option on my desktop at all. never mind, I'm going to hold off for a while on that one anyway.

The upgrade went really well on my laptop I must say, although I still don't really like it from an aesthetic point of view, the icons and overall design just look a bit amateurish to me.

BTW is there a good reason why I can't permanently get rid of all of the 'modern' apps? Some I can uninstall, but the others that I will never use in a million years only offer the option to pin/unpin them as a tile on the menu. I've read that they can be got rid of using powershell but that looks a bit kludgy and possibly not permanent. Also any way to remove the Onedrive entry from Explorer?

I presume everyone who has upgraded hasn't had any issues from applications installed before the upgrade? As in, firefox/chrome etc etc are all there as before?

I presume everyone who has upgraded hasn't had any issues from applications installed before the upgrade? As in, firefox/chrome etc etc are all there as before?
    Yes, they're all there, but you'll need to reset them to be the default apps rather than the MS equivalents again.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, they're all there, but you'll need to reset them to be the default apps rather than the MS equivalents again.

Great stuff! I'll report back after I have this installed on my tablet. :)

Ah, it was actually there all along under optional updates. lol. Upgrading now.

Something odd is happening. I did the trick where you run wuauclt.exe through CMD to get it to start installing it for you.
    It downloaded it all for me and did the whole 'preparing installation' It got to the end and is now saying

'Check your PC before Upgrading
    Before installing Windows 10 Insider Preview, Something needs your attention'
    There's a button to 'Check you PC'

Is this normal?

EDIT: When I click on 'check your PC' it just brings me back out to the optional windows update screen.

• Advertisement

I've just spotted something quite worrying in the Settings under "Choose how updates are delivered". By default it is set up so that Windows update will download updates not only from MS servers but other PC's in your own network, which may be a good idea, but potentially also from other PC's on the Internet! So you're consenting to your PC being used in some huge P2P network for updates, using your upload bandwidth in the process. Luckily you can turn this feature off completely, or just enable it for PC's on the local network, although presumably if I'm for example using WiFi in someone else's house this will kick in too, unless I specifically set that network as metered. All sounds a bit dodgy to me and a potential security risk, so I'm turning it off, thanks.

Advertisement