Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mr E wrote: »
    After you run the update command from the command prompt, you can click the windows icon in the system tray to let you know if the download is complete. If it is, there will be a link/button to start it off.

If you get "Something happened", make sure you have all pending updates installed for your current version of windows (it won't install W10 if there are any)

Does this include optional updates? I've 35 language packs that I don't want to install!

Also when I run the CMD command nothing happens. I can see all the files on my harddrive though in a $windows.~ws folder. The full disk image is there and plenty more besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

After having already downloaded it twice from scratch and getting nowhere I'm just using the direct download onto a USB and installing it onto my soon to be formatted boot drive rather than dicking around any further.

I have the install key anyway. The only reason why I didn't do this from the start was because I thought it was going to pre-install over the past week, but when the data just legged it off my drive that buggered up that plan.

There's something deeply satisfying about a clean install with no ****e left over.

Gbear wrote: »
    After having already downloaded it twice from scratch and getting nowhere I'm just using the direct download onto a USB and installing it onto my soon to be formatted boot drive rather than dicking around any further.

I have the install key anyway. The only reason why I didn't do this from the start was because I thought it was going to pre-install over the past week, but when the data just legged it off my drive that buggered up that plan.

There's something deeply satisfying about a clean install with no ****e left over.

It won't be activated on a clean install unless you've upgraded via 7 or 8 and activated it that way first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mine is now failing with a check your pc message , clicking the button does nothing :(

Click "Run Now" on this page, it'll fix it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/gp/windows-update-issues/en-ie

Getting absolutely nothing here. Windows Update isn't offering anything and the GWX tray icon is gone on all three of my systems.

I have the ISO as I downloaded it from Microsoft's site earlier, but I don't know if I could just go ahead and upgrade using it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I must be the only person in the world that was able to upgrade seamlessly. Went into Windows Update this morning and checked for updates, and got the upgrade offered straight away - 2.6GB download, short-ish installation and bingo. No issues at all!

superg wrote: »
    It won't be activated on a clean install unless you've upgraded via 7 or 8 and activated it that way first.

I'll activate it with my Windows 8 key.

Edit: Scratch that, I can't.
    "If you formatted or replaced your hard drive, you won't be able to use a product key to update to Windows 10. You'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 10."

Dunno why I keep seeing comments saying this is seamless.

Seems like a complete cluster**** to me.

I have a windows 8 key and it's tied to my microsoft account. Having to tie it to the hardware again is ****ing idiotic.

Hmmmm still no joy here, though not it's gone an offered me some drivers in windows 8 so we'll se what comes of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

ED E wrote: »
    Youll need to track down whats not updating.

Ive one machine thats got a corrupt .NET install thats sticking an update, spent ages already debugging it.

It's for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 which to be honest I have no idea about. Tried everything at this point. Wondering now if I just uninstall the thing will it bypass the need for the update but afraid it might be needed down the line :/

Gbear wrote: »
    I'll activate it with my Windows 8 key.

Edit: Scratch that, I can't.
    "If you formatted or replaced your hard drive, you won't be able to use a product key to update to Windows 10. You'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 10."

Dunno why I keep seeing comments saying this is seamless.

Seems like a complete cluster**** to me.

I have a windows 8 key and it's tied to my microsoft account. Having to tie it to the hardware again is ****ing idiotic.

Yes, your old key won't work. You have to upgrade from windows 8, it will activate and then you can clean install without even entering a key during the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Karsini wrote: »
    Getting absolutely nothing here. Windows Update isn't offering anything and the GWX tray icon is gone on all three of my systems.

I have the ISO as I downloaded it from Microsoft's site earlier, but I don't know if I could just go ahead and upgrade using it or not.
    Don't install it from using the ISO if it's your first time and haven't upgraded.
    You wont be able to activate it if you do the clean install, even if you have your windows 7/8 key at all. The upgrade needs to be done before you can attempt to do a clean install.
    I've up graded my Windows 7 installation on my Netbook and am now downloading the ISO to do a clean install via usb. We'll see how that one goes...

superg wrote: »
    Yes, your old key won't work. You have to upgrade from windows 8, it will activate and then you can clean install without even entering a key during the process.

I should still be able to install from the USB though, shouldn't I? So long as I just choose the standard install without formatting the drive.

So at least it'll save me from having to repeatedly download the shagging thing.

They could've sidestepped all this ****e and released a utility 6 weeks ago that tied your current Windows 8 key to windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Don't install it from using the ISO if it's your first time and haven't upgraded.
    You wont be able to activate it if you do the clean install, even if you have your windows 7/8 key at all. The upgrade needs to be done before you can attempt to do a clean install.
    I've up graded my Windows 7 installation on my Netbook and am now downloading the ISO to do a clean install via usb. We'll see how that one goes...

How does the clean install work then, if your 7 or 8 product key wont activate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

windows 10 worth getting on a non-touchscreen device?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I did an upgrade install and it won't activate for me. I'm hoping it's just the activation servers getting a hammering and it'll activate fine in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

sean_b97 wrote: »

I have it on my desktop PC. It's much better than Windows 8. I've had no problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

So it's like 6PM now and no update.

Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

worth getting over windows 7 on a non-touchscreen device?

worth getting over windows 7 on a non-touchscreen device?

Windows 8 already was and this is (apparently) better again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

GvidoR wrote: »
    ^ Had the same issue as well. Now I have Windows 10 up and running nicely.

Typed this in the CMD to get it going:
    wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Just to remind people...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

After upgrade does your product key change from what it was in Win 8.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Karsini wrote: »

I extracted the iso and installed it from Windows 8.1
    Installed fine and was activated when I logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    How does the clean install work then, if your 7 or 8 product key wont activate it?
    I assume they do the upgrade using the Win8 key that's already being used/assigned on your PC. Once the upgrade happens and sees that you use a Win 8 key to upgrade then you're possibly assigned a Win 10 key that is specific to your current hardware/old Win 8 key used to upgrade. I dont know if this is actually what happens but when you try to do a clean install it just wont accept the old win 8 key since it hasn't been registered to have already completed the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

degsie wrote: »
    After upgrade does your product key change from what it was in Win 8.1?

It appears to. I ran a VB script to show my product key and it is different to the product key I had in Windows 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Can't be any worse than windows 8.1 on a touchscreen device!!! "I'm a touch screen......oh no i'm a desktop!!......oh i'm a touch screen again!!!":mad::mad:

The following worked for me;

-> CMD (Run as Admin)
    -> wuacuclt.exe /updatenow

Then open and check for updates, and it should appear..

NoDrama wrote: »

-> CMD (Run as Admin)

Does it appear in the Windows Update control panel?

EDIT: Tried it on my tablet and it started downloading but failed. Still nothing on the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

"This PC can't run Windows 10"

Asus me400c Windows 8.1 tablet, seemingly due to the display driver. :mad: ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

NoDrama wrote: »

-> CMD (Run as Admin)

Didn't work for me.

Advertisement