Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

NoDrama wrote: »
    The following worked for me;

-> CMD (Run as Admin)
    -> wuacuclt.exe /updatenow

Then open and check for updates, and it should appear..

The command seemed to work as my free space on C: dropped by about 2.7GB but when I go to Check Updates it doesn't show anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

nc6000 wrote: »
    The command seemed to work as my free space on C: dropped by about 2.7GB but when I go to Check Updates it doesn't show anything.
    Try deleting all the files contained in C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download first.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Try deleting all the files contained in C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download first.

I did that before running the command.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Guys...can somebody answer this for me:

I ran the automatic upgrade (not a clean install) from windows 8.1...I never entered a product key at any stage, do I need my old product key to active Windows 10?

I'm very confused by this, as I can't seem to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

About to enter the onion zone. My upgrade is ready! :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So during the upgrade process, does it give you option to keep existing files? I'm fearful of wiping everything.

I'm going to try the upgrade on my laptop using the ISO as I've nothing to lose on it anyway and have a full system image that I made last night.

Will post back once it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It's supposed to migrate all your stuff, but i wouldn't dare update without backing up first.

"This PC can't run Windows 10"

Asus me400c Windows 8.1 tablet, seemingly due to the display driver. :mad: ffs

I'm getting a similar message on a older laptop running 8.1 about the ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 not being supported.

Would have been better to tell me that when I initially reserved Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Pretty happy so far anyway. Very modern UI but it feels right from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

py2006 wrote: »
    So during the upgrade process, does it give you option to keep existing files? I'm fearful of wiping everything.

No option, it will just upgrade and leave everything as is. I backed up beforehand just in case.

It will keep bookmarks, History, even programs on the task bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

A good FAQ here answering some common questions.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18684092

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

so if i DL the iso from windows can i install win10 on my dads PC with my activation code:confused:

im on win8.1 atm still waiting for the win10 upgrade to popup and install

biggebruv wrote: »
    so if i DL the iso from windows can i install win10 on my dads PC with my activation code:confused:

You won't be able to use your Windows 7 or Windows 8 key. Hold off for a little while as that's what I'm doing at the moment. I'll post back when I'm done.

Basically what I've done is clean installed Windows 7, activated it using my laptop's COA and then reserved the upgrade in GWX. Now I'm doing an upgrade from the ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No problem with actual upgrade but the top of every page/window is is a horrid grey/white which I can't figure out how to change.

My one drive stuff seems to be gone AWOL too

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I've 4 PC's in the house to update, 2 of which are pro (both 8.1), and 2 of which are home (7 and 8.1).
    If I download the Pro version using this, can it be used to upgrade a home version of 7 and 8.1, or does it strictly have to be a home ISO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

How do i upgrade i reserved the copy so do i just wait?

ricimaki wrote: »
    I've 4 PC's in the house to update, 2 of which are pro (both 8.1), and 2 of which are home (7 and 8.1).
    If I download the Pro version using this, can it be used to upgrade a home version of 7 and 8.1, or does it strictly have to be a home ISO?

You'll need each ISO, Home and Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Handy enough that you can have both X86 and X64 within the one ISO. So only 2 needed, not 4 as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

What does the N stand for in Windows 10 Home N ? The answer is probably obvious but not for me .

Also I currently use 7 Ultimate , would I still just choose the Home version ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jonski wrote: »
    What does the N stand for in Windows 10 Home N ? The answer is probably obvious but not for me .

It's missing media related software, media player etc. They were made produce that version by the EU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Seamless install for me, but I can't say I notice any great difference. Looks a bit nicer, that's about it.

It worked! :)

Upgraded by running setup from the ISO inside Windows 7. Went rather quickly (thank you SSD :pac:) and booted into Windows 10. Didn't activate initially but was fine after a reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

Sorry, i'm lost everyone is upgrading and i don't know whats going on. Do they send you a new key or do you use an old one for windows 7?

Karsini wrote: »
    It worked! :)

Upgraded by running setup from the ISO inside Windows 7. Went rather quickly (thank you SSD :pac:) and booted into Windows 10. Didn't activate initially but was fine after a reboot.

so my dad received a PC hes gonna put a new HDD into it so I could give him the ISO for win10 and give it to him to install and use my product key of win8 :confused:

jonski wrote:

No windows 7 ultimate becomes windows 10 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Sorry, i'm lost everyone is upgrading and i don't know whats going on. Do they send you a new key or do you use an old one for windows 7?
    Neither. You either get the update through windows update, or download the ISO, and run the .exe inside it.

ricimaki wrote: »
    Neither. You either get the update through windows update, or download the ISO, and run the .exe inside it.

i keep clicking check for updates but it finds nothing

i have all updates+optional installed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can I delete $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS if I'm installing from the separate installer from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?

I'm running out of crap to delete to make space for the installation.

• Advertisement

so my dad received a PC hes gonna put a new HDD into it so I could give him the ISO for win10 and give it to him to install and use my product key of win8 :confused:

No, you install Windows 8.1 and activate it with your key, if you haven't already done so. Then you run the Windows 10 setup inside Windows 8.1.

Advertisement