Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Karsini wrote: »
    No, you install Windows 8.1 and activate it with your key, if you haven't already done so. Then you run the Windows 10 setup inside Windows 8.1.

oh ok its just my win 8 came on the laptop no disc

biggebruv wrote: »
    oh ok its just my win 8 came on the laptop no disc
    Just to clarify, do you want to install Windows 8 on another machine with your laptop's key? It's not allowed unfortunately, OEM licences live and die with the system they came with.

Just to clarify, do you want to install Windows 8 on another machine with your laptop's key? It's not allowed unfortunately, OEM licences live and die with the system they came with.

yep was just wondering if I could help the pa out LOL no worries
    ubuntu he gets for now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Using the MediaCreationToolx64.exe to install Windows 10 but keeps coming with something happened and fails to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

biggebruv wrote: »
    yep was just wondering if I could help the pa out LOL no worries
    ubuntu he gets for now:D

You'll be disinherited soon so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I keep getting a 'Some updates were not installed' error.

I give up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

seligehgit wrote: »
    Using the MediaCreationToolx64.exe to install Windows 10 but keeps coming with something happened and fails to install?

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

is there a way to force it to pop up without resorting to the ISO
    tried the CMD tip a few pages back did nothing

AHHHH so annoying I just want it installed and overwith LOL

Little tip, if you go to this page...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

... on a Windows 7 or later system, you'll be prompted to download the media creator. But, if you use an XP system or non-Windows box, you'll be linked directly to the ISOs. I spoofed my user agent in Firefox to get them. ;)

• Advertisement

So... I tried a clean install. Wiped my upgraded install and booted from the ISO.

I skipped any product key prompts and carried on. Initially it failed to activate, was reporting that the product key had been blocked. However I ran slmgr /rearm and rebooted. Activated perfectly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I dont get an option to reserve windows 10, any ideas?

Different error for me now on attempt #5 I think at this stage.

"Check your PC before upgrading" Before installing Windows 10 insider preview, something needs your attention" then there is a check your pc button which does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

seligehgit wrote: »

i had that but had success with following:
    did you try creating usb flash drive installer with mediacreationtool, and then running setup.exe from created usb installer while windows is running and choosing the upgrade option in the installer. worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Mines been downloading windows 10/for about an hour now and its at 3 percent. Anyone else finding it slow to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Using the MediaCreationTool method I chose "Upgrade this PC' and then the something happened error comes up. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I'm downloading the ISO from the windows website and plan to install by running off my HDD. Fingers crossed it works.

OK, first problem, can I stop Windows 10 from automatically updating drivers?

My laptop absolutely has to use an older version of the Nvidia driver, otherwise I get a 2-3 second freeze when opening videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

OK, first problem, can I stop Windows 10 from automatically updating drivers?

My laptop absolutely has to use an older version of the Nvidia driver, otherwise I get a 2-3 second freeze when opening videos.

All the details are on this post on overclockers. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18684092

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I decided to try the release version again after several failed attempts to get used to the Tech Preview.. downloaded the ISO and ran it but it failed at 0% with the helpful message that "something went wrong"

Luckily I still had the RTM ISO so used that and it ran fine so I'm determined to try and give it another chance now... except for the Start Menu - despite the fanfare, it's just not as good as the Win 7 version (lots of wasted space in the All Programs list, too big overall) so I've installed the latest Start 10 beta

3 choices of Start menu - classic Win 7, Win 10 or a "Modern" version which is what I've chosen - If anyone's interested, here's what it looks like....

EDIT: It hasn't activated itself though .. strange! It did previously so I assume it's a server-side problem alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3g601665550.gif

matc66 wrote: »
    All the details are on this post on overclockers. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18684092

I've done that already but I can see that it's still being offered in Windows Update and PowerShell, see attached.

If I can't disable this it's a complete deal breaker, I won't stand for mandatory driver updates.

I can say that I have had a positive experience using 10..

So far, a solid release..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 work2013

I downloaded the iso using the media creation tool and installed it straight from desktop and it worked perfectly. (mounted iso using magiciso)

So for anyone reading still trying to download windows 10, don't bother with the upgrade option, instead choose the other option then download iso file.

It took around 2 hours to download and install for me, with ssd. So possibly 3-5 hours to download and install on hdd.

the tool is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Updating now. Going well so far

Why is it a bad thing that it auto updates drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkY91 wrote: »

Windows might want to install a driver that doesn't work. If you have an old(er) driver that does work, you want to keep it!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Updating now. Going well so far

Because they don't always work properly.

Just yesterday, Windows 8 offered me a driver update for my tablet which disabled my Wi-Fi and I had to roll back.

So if it forces me to use a driver that breaks things, I can't accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I upgraded using the iso from inside windows 7 and windows activated automatically. Is that supposed to happen, thought I had to do something to activate?

superg wrote: »
    I upgraded using the iso from inside windows 7 and windows activated automatically. Is that supposed to happen, thought I had to do something to activate?
    Yep, that's exactly how it worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Because they don't always work properly.

Just yesterday, Windows 8 offered me a driver update for my tablet which disabled my Wi-Fi and I had to roll back.

So if it forces me to use a driver that breaks things, I can't accept that.

Oh right I see. I've never had that happen to me so I was unaware.

Hopefully windows 10 speeds up my laptop as it was a fair bit snappier on W7 than 8 and 8.1..

Advertisement