Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

Haven't gotten any notification yet but there's a failed windows 10 update in my updates. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭magicman88

Just to remind people...

Started the download for me 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

I'm going to wait until the rush is over and see how ye all get on before I download it....☺

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Len!n

I can also see a failed update to Windows 10 Pro....
    Any options?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

15 minutes into the process and I'm on 2% I'm not mathematician but that's gonna be a long download :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

MarkY91 wrote:
    15 minutes into the process and I'm on 2% I'm not mathematician but that's gonna be a long download :L

Mine was slow until about 50% and then flew.

Found this as an answer to my question.
    After this procedure I have 16% downloaded in just 3 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

itoro wrote: »
    i had that but had success with following:
    did you try creating usb flash drive installer with mediacreationtool, and then running setup.exe from created usb installer while windows is running and choosing the upgrade option in the installer. worked for me

No but I shall give a go,thanks.

Found this as an answer to my question:

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

After this procedure I have 16% downloaded in just 3 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well the restore back to 8.1 works fine anyway..........about 10 mins

The appearance of it was getting to me, don't know whether it was fonts or the lack of colour in the title/border but a few things I use a good bit just looked wrong and was annoying me.

(I have a lower spec laptop that's ready to go so I might have a play around with
    that to see can I improve the look but my main machine is fine again )

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It take most people one hour to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I encountered no problems with any step thankfully.
    Not sure yet how much I like it..
    The new search is much faster than 8 for me. It's running super fast on my laptop.
    I like the transparent effect on the notification centre etc..
    Switching between desktops is better.

However..
    Edge is rather unimpressive and I am not going to use it. So I'll be sticking with my usual browser.
    Not used to the feel of 10 yet.. Or the look for that matter.. Fonts and folder icons aren't great.
    There are a few things from 8 that I miss too. Swiping my touch pad seems to have no effect now? I have to swipe the touch screen.
    Tablet mode is okay but I really don't have any use for it. I am still not a fan of the tiles tbh.

What I do like is that overall it seems much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Well the restore back to 8.1 works fine anyway..........about 10 mins

The appearance of it was getting to me, don't know whether it was fonts or the lack of colour in the title/border but a few things I use a good bit just looked wrong and was annoying me.

(I have a lower spec laptop that's ready to go so I might have a play around with
    that to see can I improve the look but my main machine is fine again )

I was the same at first. The default theme was too dark and I really wasn't fond of the look of the new Start menu. A little playing around with some themes and Classic Shell and I think I have it looking quite nice now: http://i.imgur.com/YYLdSIM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I don't like the look of it either, looks very dull and bland compared to my 7 desktop. Have to do some exploring with themes etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Karsini wrote: »
    I've done that already but I can see that it's still being offered in Windows Update and PowerShell, see attached.

If I can't disable this it's a complete deal breaker, I won't stand for mandatory driver updates.

See here.

There's a microsoft troubleshooter on that page (wushowhide.diagcab) that allows you to hide any updates that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

So... I tried a clean install. Wiped my upgraded install and booted from the ISO.

I skipped any product key prompts and carried on. Initially it failed to activate, was reporting that the product key had been blocked. However I ran slmgr /rearm and rebooted. Activated perfectly. :)
    The exact same thing happened to me.

I did the upgrade and loaded it up making sure that it was activated.

I retrieved my Upgraded Win 10 cd key from using Magic Jelly Bean.

Downloaded the ISO, installed it and changed the BIOS to boot from USB.

I had initially entered the cdkey I had retrieved into the box when prompted but remembered that most of the Clean Install guides out there tell you that you dont need to do that. So I went back a menu and selected Skip.

It installed and then rebooted and immediately from the USB on reboot to try and install it.

Thought I had messed it up completely. Cancelled the second 'attempt' to do a clean install and entered the BIOS to boot from the harddrive with the hope that it would complete the install.

Booted up, and finished the install. Imported all my settings/wallpaper etc from my 8.1 desktop.

After a reboot or two I thought to check on the Activation. Was being told that the key that was entered was blocked. Tried re-entering it several times. Same error.

There was an update or two which had downloaded in the meantime and after a reboot or two it seemed to have righted itself. The cd key was still the same. Not sure what happened to it that sorted it out but put my mind at ease.

For an OS with so many features it runs pretty nicely on my Netbook. Acer Aspire One D257. Not too fast but better than what I expected.

And now I have the itch to upgrade my desktop. Wont be doing that for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

3wayswitch wrote: »
    I was the same at first. The default theme was too dark and I really wasn't fond of the look of the new Start menu. A little playing around with some themes and Classic Shell and I think I have it looking quite nice now: http://i.imgur.com/YYLdSIM.jpg

Nice NMS background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I've a windows 7 laptop. Is it automatically going too upgrade too 10 so on me during an update or will I be given a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Whel.

After only 13 hours it now appears to be working.

Seem to be getting the same issue that others who did a fresh install did with the product not activating properly but hopefully it'll eventually pull it's head out of it's arse.

I think my brother has a spare W10 key floating around if worse comes to worst anyway, so not to worry.

My tablet is now telling me that it can't run Windows 10, apparently the video card isn't compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Goose81

If anyone is getting the something happened error you need to do the following::

start-control panel-clock language and region-region and language-administrative tab-change system local- change to (english) united states and restart the computer.

you should not need to activate, it pulls the keys from your pc's bios and downloads them to the Microsoft server, any future installations or upgrades it will already have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody getting problems downloading apps from the store, keeps timing out during 'acquiring licence' for me. Servers getting hammered, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I was one of the lucky ones! Nothing wrong with my update at all (not sure to do with location as I am currently abroad).

Thing is working flying fast. Loving the interface too. Has that sort of usual feel windows had before windows 8. Not sure if it is a step up from 7 but my God so far its way better than 8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

What I'm finding annoying is the inconsistent UI and menus.

Take for example the power saving menu. I open to change some settings which open in a UI that has looks and feels like Windows 10. Then when I select the advanced options it brings me to a window that has pretty much the same options but are expanded slightly but this has a completely different look and feel to them. Like the traditional Windows 7 Control Panel/File Explorer menu with your address bar up the top.
    The same thing happens when you compare Windows 8.1 to 7 too.
    Like the Control Panel is still there with the same old UI but almost everything can be accessed from the Settings options too.

It seems like they haven't gone 100% at this 'modern' UI. There's quite a lot of legacy Windows 7 UI deep in there which is kind of annoying and disorientating at the same time but also kind of nice because I'm so used to that look and feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ok i've tried everything to get the upgrade icon to appear on my Win 8.1 Lenovo 13 ideapad.

I've got EVERY update.

I've downloaded that batch script online that is supposed to trigger the icon.

I've uninstalled KB3035583 and re-installed it and rebooted several times but no joy.

I'm about to give up. I can't see any reason why it should be preventing me from upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ive tried the CMD method and nothing seems to happen...Ive no disc drive on my notebook and No USB keys handy :/

Can I download the Iso from https://mega.co.nz/#!69AmnTpR!qL6x-kNeC00yvk0o51_NmRAJPK2Nb2qj131SuEcqTD0

Then Mount it virtually and then run the iso to upgrade? Im running 8.1 atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anyone any idea how long it takes to install win 10. As I type this on my phone its installing the last 45 minutes and is at 96% copying files and 24% overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im loving it so far. im not getting notifications about driver updates like some others (i want it to update them) lol

i see no hibernate option in the power section? i hibernate my laptop 9 times out of 10 when turning it off..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My tablet is now telling me that it can't run Windows 10, apparently the video card isn't compatible.

Dunno, seems you and some others seem to be extremely unlucky. Next thing I would try is fresh install from ISO

My own progress:

1. I've been running W10 pro X64 on my main PC (7.5 years old) for nearly a year now without major issues

2. Today I've upgraded my main laptop (8 or 9 years old, only 1.5GB of RAM) to W10 pro X86. Upgrade went perfectly fine, installed some more upgrades, rebooted a few times and activated automatically. Uses the same level of RAM (about 0.8GB) at idle and uses 1GB less footprint after cleanup (also did cleanup before install) than W8.1 fully patched

3. Still upgrading my first gen netbook (7 years old) to W10 pro X86. Seems to be going grand

4. Installing W10 home X86 on my €45 (bought new !!!) Linx 7 from scratch. Had some build of W10 running on this previously but it had become unresponsive. Fresh install from ISO seems to be going ok. Note: this is my only device which has a windows key embedded in BIOS. Hope it will pick this up and activate! Edit: has now installed and is running! Not activated yet, but installing updates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Finally got done. Is anyone else noticing that stuff is skipping. Like watching youtube or playing games their is a micro skip every few minutes.

Advertisement