Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

A relative's laptop has been stuck on the "Restarting" screen for the last 3 hours after installing W10, is this common, or a bug/problem?

Where should we go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I downloaded it today , took 6 hours, then failed on install.

Deleted it , redownloaded it, failed on install again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

So I successfully installed Windows 10, like it so far, only problem I'm having is, is when I launch some Windows Store apps (seems to be the Windows 10 specific apps, like Groove and Minecraft) they show up for a split second and then disappear. Any ideas what could be causing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just to confirm my experiences doing a clean install...

Did the update to Windows yesterday, from 64-bit Windows 7 Pro to 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.

Confirmed W10 was activated after update (search Activated on the taskbar, there's an application that confirms).

Wanted to try the 32-bit to test some software...

Installed the Windows 10 media creation tool from the Microsoft website. Downloaded and burned separate ISOs for 32 and 64 bit. They offer "both" but doesn't fit on DVD.

Booted off the 32 bit disc and skipped the product key input twice. Once installed and connected to the internet, Windows activation recognised the hardware and activated Windows. Apparently if you do major hardware changes you may need to ring them to confirm it's the same machine.

So you can swap between 32 and 64 bit and no need for Product Key after upgrade. Will be installing 64-bit back again later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Karsini wrote: »
    My tablet is now telling me that it can't run Windows 10, apparently the video card isn't compatible.

An update of my drivers from the Asus site seems to have fixed my issue, although its hard to know if that did it, or whether it just decided to work itself out.

• Advertisement

This was the only thing that worked for me to upgrade, after that it was a matter of what Joe said above to clean install it. Activation was spot on.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-line-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now-1720854489

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Len!n

Is Linx 7 tablet working/activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just wondering are the people having problems upgrading people who downloaded it by doing the work around rather than waiting for the windows update client to notify you it was available to download?

I couldn't download until late yesterday but had no problems what so ever. Also did your pc/laptop pass the compatibility check fully? I know in details it showed me if my laptop was good enough in certain areas for the OS.

This may have been discussed previously, if so please excuse me as I'm not going through 50 pages!
    Anyway, be very considerate of the privacy implications when installing W10. This article gave me a lot to think about..
    http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Here is a snippet from the W10 T's&C's
    We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

what happened to privacy in this world????

• Advertisement

This may have been discussed previously, if so please excuse me as I'm not going through 50 pages!
    Anyway, be very considerate of the privacy implications when installing W10. This article gave me a lot to think about..

I'm fairly certain during setup if you select custom settings rather than express you can uncheck anything that people are worried about.

Maybe I am wrong, but I did uncheck a few options and iirc there was an option about sending data to Microsoft.

On the whole access of our private files and emails I'm fairly certain most communication services and operating systems have a similar condition in the terms in the case of illegal activity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

Keeps failing on my HP Stream 7 with various error codes ( 80200056, 80244022 and 80244020). I've tried clearing the download folder and running the command a few times now but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

On Windows 7 here and it's still telling me "We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

e_e wrote: »
    On Windows 7 here and it's still telling me "We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC."
    GvidoR wrote: »
    ^ Had the same issue as well. Now I have Windows 10 up and running nicely.

Typed this in the CMD to get it going:
    wuauclt.exe /updatenow

This is what I've done to kick start the install. One of my devices is finally installing, and another is attempting to download again as I left it this morning. I've run into a number of hiccups on both my devices, but hopefully I'm in the clear now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Adamocovic wrote: »
    On the whole access of our private files and emails I'm fairly certain most communication services and operating systems have a similar condition in the terms in the case of illegal activity etc.

Yeah, anything that reads your email to function, or have any of your files (Cortana, Siri, Google Now, TripIt, Dropbox, etc) will have something along those lines.

Basically, if a company receives a warrant, and they don't think that it's over-reaching, then they'll comply with it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, anything that reads your email to function, or have any of your files (Cortana, Siri, Google Now, TripIt, Dropbox, etc) will have something along those lines.

Basically, if a company receives a warrant, and they don't think that it's over-reaching, then they'll comply with it.

Yeah, that's what I gather too. It seems lots of people are constantly afraid of being watched on the internet and people reading their emails..I must live a very boring life in comparison because my emails are either work related (snooze) or just notifications from boards or friends/family chatting :pac:

If Microsoft is searching through my files they can feel free to listen to my ABBA Gold album and check out my steam achievements :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I finally got my win 7 upgraded last night to win10 home 64bit. The first time i tried it failed during the installation so I unplugged every usb device except kb and mouse and it worked.
    It was pretty late last night by the time it finished, so i'm only getting a proper look around it today. First thing to annoy me though is that when i tried to delete windows.old folder it keeps asking me about admin permission. I thought I was the admin. I've already switched off the uac. Anyone else having that problem??

Edit: Also, when i press ctrl + shift +esc and go to startup i have something/process called cisC6E5 which is enabled to start and I can't find anything on google about this. Anybody else have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

After failing to get Windows 10 to activate last night I woke up this morning and its activated all by itself. So for anyone wondering yesterdays activation problems, It must of been a server issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    First thing to annoy me though is that when i tried to delete windows.old folder it keeps asking me about admin permission. I thought I was the admin. I've already switched off the uac. Anyone else having that problem??
    Use disk cleanup to do it. There's an option to "remove previous windows installations".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/how-do-i-remove-the-windows-old-folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

This is what I've done to kick start the install.
    Doesn't seem to have done anything for me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

I tried to download "windows 10" twice last night. I got as far as transferring files but when the transferring got to 19% my laptop switched off.

I waited for a few minutes, switched back on my laptop and the message on the screen was "reverting back to previous windows (7)."

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well, after some deliberation that's enough to convince me to buy a Mac...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Alun wrote: »
    Use disk cleanup to do it. There's an option to "remove previous windows installations".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/how-do-i-remove-the-windows-old-folder

Thanks for that, it worked, and its taking up about 5GB less space than win7 did on the same drive. Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Len!n wrote: »
    Is Linx 7 tablet working/activated?

I updated mine yesterday with no hassle and it's activated fine. About to do the linx 8 that's in the house too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Shock Horror! :rolleyes:

Did you read the Windows 8/8.1 T&Cs? You can google them.

They pretty much include the same statement near verbatim.

I am not bother looking up Win 7 T&Cs but I'm sure they include a similar statement.

[I removed the ridiculous number of ekk images]

smash wrote: »
    Well, after some deliberation that's enough to convince me to buy a Mac...

If you want to go ahead. I had a macbook for a long time myself. I will tell you buying a Mac and using iOS does not make to much of a difference in my view regarding personal information.

In their terms and conditions they also state that if requested (and a valid reason) they can provide your account information. Emails, photos, icloud etc can be requested but like other software and operating system this is rare and only in the case of legal sense really.

My point is if you are looking for an email provider or operating system that will never access your files even when requested with plausible legal reasoning and warrants you are out of luck, but this is also very rare.

They all state something similar in t&c because they are legally required to inform you they have the right to check files.

Saying that buy what device you like and I wouldn't worry too much about operating systems and email providers inspecting your personal information provided you don't commit any highly illegal acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I wonder how many people who recoil at the very thought of a company having access to their 'private information' etc are the very people who post their who lives on Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook etc.

Also any one else have a problem re installing Windows 7? It keeps telling me update failed. I cant seem to get Windows 10 activated so I was going to go back to 7 and update to 10 again to see if I can solve the activation problem im having.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ive tried the CMD method and nothing seems to happen...Ive no disc drive on my notebook and No USB keys handy :/

Can I download the Iso from https://mega.co.nz/#!69AmnTpR!qL6x-kNeC00yvk0o51_NmRAJPK2Nb2qj131SuEcqTD0

Then Mount it virtually and then run the iso to upgrade? Im running 8.1 atm

Went ahead with this method, Installed okay :)

Im quite impressed, very quick and I only did an upgrade (kept all my files)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

woysworld wrote: »
    I tried to download "windows 10" twice last night. I got as far as transferring files but when the transferring got to 19% my laptop switched off.

I waited for a few minutes, switched back on my laptop and the message on the screen was "reverting back to previous windows (7)."

Any ideas?

Its odd behavior for a laptop to just turn off.
    It sounds to me like your laptop is overheating. This only happens if your cooling system is not working properly. It switches off to protect an expensive component inside your computer from burning out. You will likely find that dust has clogged up your fan outlet.

You can tell it is overheating if the fan is on and wont turn off again, and its louder than it used to be.

Newer laptops have a special trap door on bottom to make clearing this easy. On older laptops if you take a powerful vacuum cleaner to the holes on bottom of laptop, sometimes you can clear it, otherwise the machine needs to be dismantled to clean it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

I have Windows 7. If I upgrade to Windows 10, will it replace my windows 7 licence?

Advertisement