Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Downloading Windows 10

8,169 MB total 5% complete...

When I tried to update yesterday it only said it was 2,700 MB. Why the big jump? Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

No hibernate option when going to power settings??

I edited my soft press of power button to hibernate my laptop. Hopefully it actually works

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

MarkY91 wrote: »
    No hibernate option when going to power settings??

I edited my soft press of power button to hibernate my laptop. Hopefully it actually works

Here is how to access hibernate settings:

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-60-how-to-enable-or-disable-hibernate/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's out now, right?

Any difference between the latest Insider Preview with all the updates and the final version?
    If skype quits in the final verison, that alone will get me to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

alf66 wrote: »

Thanks for that. I hate shut down lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Brian017 wrote: »
    Downloading Windows 10

8,169 MB total 5% complete...

When I tried to update yesterday it only said it was 2,700 MB. Why the big jump? Is this normal?

Had a similar experience here. Last night when I was attempting to update Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 it was downloading 2700 or there abouts. When I left it this morning, and restarted the download process after a number of failures last night it was downloading 8GB. I left it off to download and I'll see what happens this evening when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It's out now, right?

Any difference between the latest Insider Preview with all the updates and the final version?
    If skype quits in the final verison, that alone will get me to update.

Not following :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Meesared wrote: »
    So I successfully installed Windows 10, like it so far, only problem I'm having is, is when I launch some Windows Store apps (seems to be the Windows 10 specific apps, like Groove and Minecraft) they show up for a split second and then disappear. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    They haven't been downloaded yet - Open the Store, click on the little icon next to the Search box, and My Library or Downloads and see if they're still downloading, or if there was an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

sKeith wrote: »
    Its odd behavior for a laptop to just turn off.
    It sounds to me like your laptop is overheating. This only happens if your cooling system is not working properly. It switches off to protect an expensive component inside your computer from burning out. You will likely find that dust has clogged up your fan outlet.

You can tell it is overheating if the fan is on and wont turn off again, and its louder than it used to be.

Newer laptops have a special trap door on bottom to make clearing this easy. On older laptops if you take a powerful vacuum cleaner to the holes on bottom of laptop, sometimes you can clear it, otherwise the machine needs to be dismantled to clean it out.

Ill do that and hopefully it works, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

gonna update one of the laptops from pirate 7 to 10. few threads on reddit showing that even when upgrading from pirated 7, some are getting the full licenced/activated/genuine 10.

will let you know what happens!

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    On Windows 7 here and it's still telling me "We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC."

Run the Media Creation Tool and it should give you the option to Upgrade the machine that you are running it on.

I have Windows 7. If I upgrade to Windows 10, will it replace my windows 7 licence?

You have a single Windows license. If you upgrade your Windows 7 license to Windows 10, you'll still have a single Windows license.

You can't legally re-install Windows 7 on a different machine and keep running the upgraded Windows 10 at the same time.

(I have no idea whether a new Win7 installation using the original Win7 keys will actually activate in this case - I'm sure there'll be plenty of articles about this over the next few days and weeks, but even if it does activate, it won't be a "legal" installation).

degsie wrote: »
    Not following :confused:

Skype wouldn't actually Quit for some people on some versions of the Preview.

I just fired up (Desktop) Skype on my laptop, and I was able to Quit the program - there's no sign of it in Task Manager once I quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I got it to download using the workaround and it installed without problems. Big shock after the final reboot when only one of my 2 screens was detected. Quick pop to device manager showed that it was running ms basic display driver. Updating the driver to the proper nvidia one sorted that. Other than that no major problems, like it quite a bit so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I only spent about 10 mins on a friends win 8 computer since it was released so know nothing much about it but I'm really liking windows 10.

I upgraded an Asus laptop that came with Win8. I don't usually have a mouse plugged in, so I've gotten into the habit of using a 2-fingered scroll to scroll web pages (like this one) up and down, and when I tried Edge, I wasn't getting any scrolling.

After fostering about looking for solutions, I ended up going to the Asus website and downloading the Smart Gesture app. When I tried to install it, I was told that there was a version already running, so I went to Programs and Features and uninstalled the existing version. That prompted me to reboot, so I did. Then I installed the new version, which also prompted me to reboot, which I did. After the reboot, two-fingered scrolling was working in Edge, but it was upside down - when I used a 2-fingered scroll down on the touchpad, it was pulling the page down, so effectively scrolling back up to the top of the page. I'm used to a two-finger scroll down pulling the scroll-bar down, so that the page scrolls down to the bottom of the age (It's hard to describe...)

I had to open file manager and navigate into Program Files/Asus to find the SmartGesture program to change the scroll direction for two-fingered scroll, but at that point, everything was working nicely.

I also updated a Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet. The only problem that I've encountered so far on that is that when I run skype in Portrait mode, the camera is showing my face sideways. I haven't done an actual skype call to see what the other person sees, and whether their camera is displayed sideways on my screen yet, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Adamocovic wrote: »
    If you want to go ahead. I had a macbook for a long time myself. I will tell you buying a Mac and using iOS does not make to much of a difference in my view regarding personal information.

It's been on my mind anyway. I have a Dell XPS and it's not up to scratch for what I want. Slow, unreliable and constantly shítting itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyone know what's the time limit to freely upgrade from 7 to 10?

ken wrote: »
    I only spent about 10 mins on a friends win 8 computer since it was released so know nothing much about it but I'm really liking windows 10.
    That's good to hear. As someone who has been using Win8 since it came out, it's hard to put myself back in the head of a "native" Win7 user when they ask whether they should upgrade. So far, my answer has been "Probably, but wait a couple of weeks", whereas for desktop Win8 users, it's "Go for it!".

For Win8 tablet users, I'm not sure. I have two Dell Venue Pro 8 tablets, but I've only updated one of them. The "Metro" version of Internet explorer is a great tablet browser, and I'm not yet convinced that Edge in Tablet mode is good enough for a device that I used primarily for reading web pages.

mikom wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the time limit to freely upgrade from 7 to 10?
    Seriously?

12 months. Any upgrade within the first year after Windows 10 is released will be free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

1 Year

I think it the best version of Windows yet - well worth upgrading to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Is cortana supposed to be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭micks_address

Tried upgrading from Windows 8 twice last night. First time came back to find my machine powered down.. Powers up and got message saying restoring to previous version of Windows.. Tried again and same thing happened.. How do I figure out why it failed?
    Cheers
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Just got a new laptop delivered an hour ago with windows 8.1, previously had vista.

Best to just run the installation now as opposed to getting 'used' to 8.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Naos wrote: »
    Just got a new laptop delivered an hour ago with windows 8.1, previously had vista.

Yup, update the machine with Windows update and hopefully it'll start the process of installing 10 after you have all the needed updates for 8.1 installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Naos wrote: »

For sure it is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

smash wrote: »
    It's been on my mind anyway. I have a Dell XPS and it's not up to scratch for what I want. Slow, unreliable and constantly shítting itself.

Yeah if you feel you'll get your moneys worth with it and suits your needs go for it. I had mine for 5 years or so (old macbook pro 2010 version) was still running perfect this year, I liked to take care of it. It go stolen a few months ago and I found myself being offered a great deal for a Lenovo laptop. I didn't particularly want one of the new macbooks (just personal preference) and the deal with the Lenovo was a quite a bit cheaper with lovely specs.

I'm chuffed with my Lenovo one right now and its working a treat, it had windows 8.1 which I wasn't a big fan of but didn't bother me too much, but with windows 10 I prefer it a lot. Maybe I am wrong but the laptop feels a lot more responsive too with windows 10. Hopefully i can make this laptop last as long if not longer!

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Is cortana supposed to be working?
    Only if you set your region to UK or US at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

On 8.1 you could see your data usage by clicking the wifi icon.
    This seems to be gone now!
    Damn I liked being able to check usage so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

blade1 wrote: »
    On 8.1 you could see your data usage by clicking the wifi icon.
    This seems to be gone now!
    Damn I liked being able to check usage so easily.

You can still go into settings and check it from there. If you want a short cut to it, then right click "Data Usage" and select "Pin to Start", it'll bring you right there.

Advertisement