Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Overheal wrote: »
    Its not that Im not OK with it but it just feels bewildering given people were so adverse to the changes in start, saying "woah, I don't like this new start I miss the old start" now they are reverting to a more classic start and people are like "woah, I don't like this old start, I miss the new start"
    The point here is that the 'want the startmenu back' crowd is/was a rather vocal minority really but they caused enough problems with people blindly parroting them and too many people who do not even use WIN8 jumping on that trolling opportunity that it was causing some serious headaches for MSFT. I'm just happy they left us with a choice now to use the menu or not so that takes care of that..

Overheal wrote: »
    Its not that Im not OK with it but it just feels bewildering given people were so adverse to the changes in start, saying "woah, I don't like this new start I miss the old start" now they are reverting to a more classic start and people are like "woah, I don't like this old start, I miss the new start"
    Well as I said previously, they're giving people what they want. Ever since Vista I opposed major changes to the UI (and you often tried to shoot down my criticism ;)) but with Windows 8.1 I decided not to work against the new UI but to work with it. So I find it a bit of a kick in the balls that now I'll probably have to go back to the old way. I honestly found that once I tweaked the Start screen to suit me, I didn't need a Start menu at all. When using Windows 8 systems with Start replacements I actually found that it hindered me a bit.

In any case, I'll probably go back to the Start menu eventually, because it'll make things easier when using other systems. It's definitely not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I suppose the 8/8.1 interface isnt all that different to the Unity desktop environment in Ubuntu. Once its set up with the shortcuts you yourself want, its pretty useful. Not for everyone, but definitely has its uses. Personally, I'm glad they are going back to the Start menu. Anything to keep the consumer happy and upgrading is worthwhile. Otherwise, we'll have another XP situation on our hands in a few years when support for Windows 7 ends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I suppose the 8/8.1 interface isnt all that different to the Unity desktop environment in Ubuntu. Once its set up with the shortcuts you yourself want, its pretty useful. Not for everyone, but definitely has its uses. Personally, I'm glad they are going back to the Start menu. Anything to keep the consumer happy and upgrading is worthwhile. Otherwise, we'll have another XP situation on our hands in a few years when support for Windows 7 ends.
    It's very similar to what happened with Netbook remix / Unity / Gnome 3, the main difference is that lots of people switched to Debian / Mint / Xfce / Lxde because they could.

Microsoft changed the UI after all this so they've no excuse, dropping the start menu was either ignorance or arrogance.

It's no real surprise that they don't foist the new desktops on server or corporate products first.

XP still has roughly twice the market share in corporate (23%) as windows 8 does. And that's down to compatibility, user interface, use of old hardware.

Still haven't tried 10, is there anything new under the bonnet ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Karsini wrote: »
    The problem I could see with a rental model for Windows, such as with Office 365, is what would happen when you stop paying the subscription? Would the OS stop booting?
    The SKY model is that you can't view anything you've saved unless it's covered by your current subscription. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I can't seem to get mine running in virtual box, I'm getting this error,

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it.

And yep I know I'm supposed to turn on hyper-v in the BIOS but unfortunately my crappy 64bit processor doesn't support this.

So I downloaded the 32bit version of win 10 and I'm still getting this error, very strange because I have numeorus 32bit OS's running on virtual box such as win 7, ubuntu, server 2008 but win 10 32bit says no.

Anyone got any ideas :confused:

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it.

And yep I know I'm supposed to turn on hyper-v in the BIOS but unfortunately my crappy 64bit processor doesn't support this.

So I downloaded the 32bit version of win 10 and I'm still getting this error, very strange because I have numeorus 32bit OS's running on virtual box such as win 7, ubuntu, server 2008 but win 10 32bit says no.

You need to enable NX/XD in the BIOS for the 32-bit version to boot. May also need to enable it in your VM settings. Same as Windows 8 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The SKY model is that you can't view anything you've saved unless it's covered by your current subscription. :pac:

I'd imagine it'd work a bit like it does if you haven't activated it - nag screens and ultimately restricted functionality.. maybe it'll refuse to go online or something, or not save anything etc

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

I downloaded a copy of win 10 from the Microsoft website now my desktop looks awful it's all zoomed in and the display quality is terrible. How can I "unzoom" it?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    I downloaded a copy of win 10 from the Microsoft website now my desktop looks awful it's all zoomed in and the display quality is terrible. How can I "unzoom" it?

Right click the Desktop and change the Screen Resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I had the same problem too with this lenovo x201 even though all the options one would think one needs are checked in the bios. Just for pig iron try running your VM in VM player and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

your resolution is off. Best way to sort it is just do a google search on your monitor or laptop with "resolution" as one of the keywords and see what it says. often times when I create a virtual machine (computer inside a computer) I have to check back with the "host" (main computer) and just see what the original resolution is. So, for example I right click on my desktop and go to the second last option which is "screen resolution" and it's set to "THINKPAD 1280 x 800 I know now to go to my virtual computer and change it to that. If you can't get it let us know exactly what hardware you are using and someone can tell you the proper settings to use.

Football Manager 2014 is running really slow since I changed to Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

A plausible explanation of why they skipped no 9.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/is-this-why-microsoft-named-it-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

your resolution is off. Best way to sort it is just do a google search on your monitor or laptop with "resolution" as one of the keywords and see what it says. often times when I create a virtual machine (computer inside a computer) I have to check back with the "host" (main computer) and just see what the original resolution is. So, for example I right click on my desktop and go to the second last option which is "screen resolution" and it's set to "THINKPAD 1280 x 800 I know now to go to my virtual computer and change it to that. If you can't get it let us know exactly what hardware you are using and someone can tell you the proper settings to use.
    With me I had to change the refresh rate from 60hz to 40hz on my media card.

I had the same problem too with this lenovo x201 even though all the options one would think one needs are checked in the bios. Just for pig iron try running your VM in VM player and report back.

Yep I ran it on VM player and it worked a charm

Hey peps, this maybe a silly question but I wanted to check to be sure.
    If I dual boot my Win 7 machine with win 10 is there any chance that having Win 10 on my machine can funk up the whole machine.
    So obviously I would create a separate partition for the Win 10 OS, this should mean that if Win 10 decides to barf itself that this will have no affect on my Win 7 partition.
    I have win 10 running of VM player which is grand and all but I would like to install it for real and use it as a primary OS. Then I can leave win 7 for my data and other such things.

Hey peps, this maybe a silly question but I wanted to check to be sure.
    If I dual boot my Win 7 machine with win 10 is there any chance that having Win 10 on my machine can funk up the whole machine
    It's highly unlikely but on your own head be it.

They are making it available precisely so if there is a showstopper like that then it's your machine affected rather than a production machine from a paying customer.

If you can't face doing a full system backup and restore or reinstall from scratch then you should really stick to VM's.

I've no problem doing reinstall/install, I've done countless ones over the last 2 years, easy peasy really. So the only thing I need to worry about is my data which I've moved to my PC about a month ago.
    So I guess I'll just go for it so

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

I took the plunge and upgraded all my systems to Windows 10 earlier this week, have to say it runs very well for being in Beta. I haven't seen a trace of the Start Screen (thank goodness) as they seem to have hidden it fairly well for those without touch screen. After removing all the modern apps that were uninstallable I have the Start Menu set up the way I want. It still doesn't compare with the Windows 7 Start Menu, so they still have a bit of work to do.

I haven't seen any crashes yet, I've used Visual Studio, Dreamweaver, Office 2013 along with a few games like Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim and some Valve games on it and they've all run flawlessly.

It boots up very quickly on my Momentus XT hard drive(yeah, the hybrid SSD/mechanical hard drive). It boots to the login screen in about 5-10 seconds usually, and everything loads up fairly snappy.

So I'll be hanging onto it for a while for now, as I haven't seen any problems with it, and it gets rid of most of the gripes I had about Windows 8.x. It could still do with some improvements, but I'm hoping Microsoft will deliver with the final release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anyone having problems updating to the latest build?
    I keep getting an error, I had a look at the registry fix on line but still no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Was flawless for me

Anyone wondering what we're on about: this was a major upgrade to the initial version of Windows 10 build 9841 to build 9860. Took about an hour on my machine from downloading to installing, including 4 reboots

Apparently there are 7,000 fixes, etc. included in this new build

Everything seems to be fine for me. Posting from it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I keep getting failed to download and the error code 0x80246017.
    Might give it until tomorrow evening, then just delete the vm and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I like 8.1 without classic shell (*gasps*), what the menu does or looks like is of no concern to me as I spend about half a second on it whenever I do use it
    Win key + type a few letters then hit enter and it's gone.

Classic Shell is for nubs! :pac:

Using Windows 10 menu will be no different.

54kroc wrote: »
    I keep getting failed to download and the error code 0x80246017.
    Might give it until tomorrow evening, then just delete the vm and reinstall.

Ah I didn't realise you were using a vm. Mine is my main PC, I always upgrade it to the latest and greatest from Redmond as soon as any preview is out :D

Good luck with the upgrade!

Windows 10 is not running smoothly on my laptop.

How do I revert back to Windows 7?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

How do I revert back to Windows 7?

That depends entirely on what kind of backups you created before installing Windows 10. (With the best option being "I installed Windows 10 to a different physical disk", because that means the reversion process amounts to "1. Remove disk with Windows 10 installed. 2. Add disk with Windows 7 installed.")

If you didn't create bare-metal-restorable backups before installing Windows 10 for whatever reason, you get back to Windows 7 by manually backing up all your data from the Windows 10 install to a separate disk (eg USB external drive) and doing a clean install of Windows 7 from optical media. You could maybe try Windows Easy Transfer to back up your user profile and settings, but I wouldn't bet on it having backwards compatibility - my experience is that it's only really designed for forward migrations.

What seems to be the problem? Have you applied the major upgrade that brings Window 10 to build 9860?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is it just me or does Flash not work at all in IE in this Tech Preview?

• Advertisement

It's you! Flash is working fine for me in IE11 in build 9860

Are you running version 15.0.0.189? This one supports all the major browsers

Advertisement