Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

People mentioned their computer doing automatic driver updates after the install. Mine hasn't done so. Any way to get it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

CatInABox wrote: »
    You can still go into settings and check it from there. If you want a short cut to it, then right click "Data Usage" and select "Pin to Start", it'll bring you right there.

Thanks Cat but you ruined my rant!!:pac::pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

3 choices of Start menu - classic Win 7, Win 10 or a "Modern" version which is what I've chosen - If anyone's interested, here's what it looks like....

How did you chose the Start Menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I miss the internet usage feature on the wifi button too.
    Getting used to the new touch pad features is taking a bit. I keep forgetting to use the three finger touch and drag instead of simply swiping left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Any idea how long MS are spreading out their batches / waves of updates ? At what stage should everyone have received their upgrades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Brian017 wrote: »
    How did you chose the Start Menus?

When you install the latest Start 10 Beta (v0.99) if it doesn't automatically come up with the options screen, you can click the Start Button then right-click the menu itself and you can configure all the options - see attached screenshots :)

Best $4 I ever spent :p I know ClassicShell will do much the same for free, but I just prefer this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    When you install the latest Start 10 Beta (v0.99) if it doesn't automatically come up with the options screen, you can click the Start Button then right-click the menu itself and you can configure all the options - see attached screenshots :)

Best $4 I ever spent :p I know ClassicShell will do much the same for free, but I just prefer this one :)

Thanks :) I thought it was a built-in feature. Downloading it now!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Tried upgrading from Windows 8 twice last night. First time came back to find my machine powered down.. Powers up and got message saying restoring to previous version of Windows.. Tried again and same thing happened.. How do I figure out why it failed?
    Cheers
    Mick

I've seen a few people having this issue..

One solution that worked for a few was to make sure that the "download updates" option was chosen.. People trying to upgrade with the "update" option on were getting the error you saw..

Worked fine once they allowed it to update itself along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If anyone wants a good internet security to go with their new Operating System you can grab a free 9 month license for Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 here: http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/iframe/softpedia/

Download files here:

64 bit

32 bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

My upgrade downloads, begins the installation, it restarts, I see the loading files white loading bar at the bottom of the screen then I get black screen and gets stuck there. Anyone had this?

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If anyone wants a good internet security to go with their new Operating System you can grab a free 9 month license for Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 here

+1 on this.. BitDefender seems to edge Kaspersky as the top AV product from reviews I've read and I've been using it here successfully with Win 7/8.1 and now 10 without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

This is doing my head in. I've tried repeatedly to get the little icon on the lower right screen on my surface pro 3 by repeatedly updating but it never appears after rebooting.

I looked on the microsoft website and it mentions a particular update (kb2919... something) that you need to progress and details how to find it via the command prompt or checking in the updates but my machine turns up nothing. So it doesn't have it and when checking for it in new updates it's not there either.

So i'm stumped.
    Anyone able to help.
    Surface Pro 3, updated (repeatedly). Windows 8.1 (pro).

I'd love to get this as apparently it gets rid of the wifi limited comnectivity issue

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Running windows 8.1 on a virtual machine and the windows upgrade app does not show on the desktop. Done just about everything I have found online to fix this issue but still can't upgrade. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kevin306 wrote: »
    Running windows 8.1 on a virtual machine and the windows upgrade app does not show on the desktop. Done just about everything I have found online to fix this issue but still can't upgrade. Anyone any ideas?

What does Windows Update say? Anything to install at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

What does Windows Update say? Anything to install at all?

Windows update says "no updates are available".
    I have installed all the latest updates. There is no icon in the bottom right corner to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    On 8.1 you could see your data usage by clicking the wifi icon.
    This seems to be gone now!
    Damn I liked being able to check usage so easily.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    You can still go into settings and check it from there. If you want a short cut to it, then right click "Data Usage" and select "Pin to Start", it'll bring you right there.
    Done that but there doesn't seem to be a reset button.
    I had reset it before update but now it just tells me what i have used in the last 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I must be the only one that thinks it looks dreadful - all that grey and white and odd icons were depressing me. Happily back to 8.1 (for now :))

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some of my Steam games refuse to load, but apart from that fairly happy all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Len!n

I think every OS upgrade has positive and negative sides. I still remember how many user were unhappy with the Windows XP because there was many changes from Windows 98 (too many colours, looks like OS made for kids, different folder design and so on). I like Windows 8 and 8.1. After first few weeks all new things in the OS become normal. I just upgraded Linx 7 tablet. Believe or not, but it runs better with Windows 10 then with Windows 8.1....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I still waiting on this thing to actually popup and install i got all the updates up to date and optional updates rechecked for updates and still nothing when the F is it gonna start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is anyone else getting this?-When I turn on my computer and the first screen loads it shows the day,month,year and 'welcome ken' in Irish but once I log in everything is English. I've tried switching my input language to English(British) and English(U.S.) and its still the same. Not a big deal but it's bugging me that I can't change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Have the update done but can't get it to activate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

ken wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting this?-When I turn on my computer and the first screen loads it shows the day,month,year and 'welcome ken' in Irish but once I log in everything is English. I've tried switching my input language to English(British) and English(U.S.) and its still the same. Not a big deal but it's bugging me that I can't change it.

Did you click the option to set as primary?

ken wrote: »

Sounds like your region or system locale is set to Irish (Ireland) rather than English (Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

sKeith wrote: »
    Did you click the option to set as primary?
    Yup
    Karsini wrote: »
    Sounds like your region or system locale is set to Irish (Ireland) rather than English (Ireland)

Set to English Ireland. Like I said its not a big deal. It just annoys me when I can't change something. If I figure out how to change it I'll most likely then leave it the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

kevin306 wrote: »
    Windows update says "no updates are available".
    I have installed all the latest updates. There is no icon in the bottom right corner to upgrade.
    I wasn't getting the prompt to do the upgrade either, but I ran the Media Creation Tool and selected the "Upgrade this PC" option, and was able to upgrade.

I did this on two machines - a laptop with 64bit, and a tablet with 32-bit. I didn't actually create any media, just let the tool download what it needed and do the upgrade.

sioda wrote: »

Wouldn't worry yet.. I had the same issue yesterday but booted up this morning and all was well.

sioda wrote: »

Same but I notice the store is chugging away updating stuff, windows 3 date has 3 pending updates to install which it looks like it won't do until the store is finished doing it's thing, so I will try activation again once they finish doing their thing.

Edit: Update, I lets those finish rebooted and checked again and I was activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Went ahead with this method, Installed okay :)

Im quite impressed, very quick and I only did an upgrade (kept all my files)

How did you get passed the key request?

• Advertisement

Liamario wrote: »
    How did you get passed the key request?
    When I did it, there was a skip option at the bottom, not very visible though.

Advertisement