Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

"Hey cortana shut your face!" Anyone else trying out this little bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

thus far the Asus website has been useless, as their driver support is atrocious.

I'd do a more general google. How many of your devices are out there? Several million quite likely. Which means there are likely thousands of geeks like yourself out there desperate to get W10 on their device and suffering the same problem. Surely a few of them have found the solution and shared it online somewhere at this stage? :)

unkel wrote: »
    Do a complete wipe and clean install (forget about reset or any of that malarky - complete wipe is what is always best in a troubleshooting situation) of whatever OS you had (presuming W7 / W8 / W8.1). Make sure all drivers work and that it activates then install W10 from within windows with the usb with the correct version of W10 that you created with mediacreationtool.
    I'll probably be OK on the desktop. On the laptop, I can get it working fine with the 332.50 Nvidia driver but if I go any higher, the laptop will freeze for 2-3 seconds when I try to open a video file. But because Windows 10 is shoving drivers down my throat, I can't stop it from reinstalling a newer version. I have the driver download disabled in the System control panel but it's still offering it in the Windows Update applet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Trying to update this on to my SSD, the install begins but after the first restart I get a black screen and it never goes any further. Once I get back to Windows 7 I get the following error

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Karsini wrote: »
    I'll probably be OK on the desktop. On the laptop, I can get it working fine with the 332.50 Nvidia driver but if I go any higher, the laptop will freeze for 2-3 seconds when I try to open a video file. But because Windows 10 is shoving drivers down my throat, I can't stop it from reinstalling a newer version. I have the driver download disabled in the System control panel but it's still offering it in the Windows Update applet.

You can hide updates by using the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter.

It's about half way down this page.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    You can hide updates by using the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter.

It's about half way down this page.
    Thanks for that. Not sure I like the "temporarily" bit though!

threein99 wrote: »
    Trying to update this on to my SSD, the install begins but after the first restart I get a black screen and it never goes any further. Once I get back to Windows 7 I get the following error

Use mediacreationtool to create a bootable usb of the appropriate version of W10. Install from that. Make absolutely sure you remove the usb when it is about to restart for the first time.

If that keeps failing, backup all your stuff. Wipe your system and do a fresh install of whatever OS you had (W7 / W8 / W8.1), activate it and then upgrade to W10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Win 10 upgraded correctly here, but have just spent an hour debugging audio line-in with uninstall-reinstalls of the audio hardware, where trying to look at the 'recording devices' tab under control panel \ sounds caused that dialog to spinny-wheel freeze, after which it had to be force closed down.
    Possibly due to having disabled the microphone in win 8 ?

I reported a similar failure to sleep on a low spec throwaway AMD C series win--insider laptop a couple of months back, comparable to that reported by Alanstrainor.
    Didn't find a fix.

Think that if I hit another bug over the next fortnight, then 10'll be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Just upgraded, call me a weirdo but oh how I miss the metro screen! (Used it for an entire two hours but liked it!)

I know you can get it back but I'm struggling. Apparently, I'm meant to right click on the taskbar and press properties. Upon doing this, there should be a 'Start Menu' tab but I have only three tabs (Taskbar, Navigation, Toolbars).

Anyone know how to get the 'Start Menu' tab on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Shred

Naos wrote: »
    Just upgraded, call me a weirdo but oh how I miss the metro screen! (Used it for an entire two hours but liked it!)

I know you can get it back but I'm struggling. Apparently, I'm meant to right click on the taskbar and press properties. Upon doing this, there should be a 'Start Menu' tab but I have only three tabs (Taskbar, Navigation, Toolbars).

Anything useful here? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/missing-start-menu-tab-in-taskbar-and-start-menu/7e7738c5-6e8b-415f-bd9c-bdc88890241f

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Start> Settings> Personalisation > Start > Use Start Full Screen > Reboot PC

Just enabled it and it's actually funky looking. It's completely transparent so you can still see your wallpaper and taskbar but not your desktop icons.

Kind of cool looking actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Its not in the final build.

To get metro screen Go to Settings>System>Tablet Mode and turn it on.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

Performed a clean install of Windows 10 on my XPS 15 (l502x model) and the only hardware issue was that the Realtek sound driver was too new and doesn't allow access to the subwoofer. I had this issue before with Windows 7 and removed it and dropped in the old dell certified one - halted auto driver updates and now everything's working perfectly.

Have to say I'm still getting used to it - but it's noticeably smoother on my Core i3 than 7. The one thing that bugs me is the task bar being too small. If I up the zoom size of everything on the 'customize your display' screen to 125% the taskbar is bang on but all text becomes blurry.

Other than that - thumbs up.

FGR wrote: »
    If I up the zoom size of everything on the 'customize your display' screen to 125% the taskbar is bang on but all text becomes blurry.

Funny you mention that. The W10 upgrade on my cheap tablet changed the screen to 125% by itself while installing. That setting is pretty ok for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

Used the media creation tool from Microsoft website to update my laptop earlier. Took about 3 hrs from start to finish. I downloaded on Wifi and had a Seagate 5400rpm HDD in it, upgraded from Win7 SP1 32 bit. Just took the laptop apart there and replaced that Seagate HDD with a Samsung 850 evo SSD and I'm clean installing the 64 bit version of 10 from a USB so hopefully it goes well. The SSD already seems to be a lot faster on the install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sweet mother of all that's f**king sacred in this world. Arrrghh.

A marathon session of 13 models. Mixture of pcs, laptops and a tablet. We had issues with every...single... install.

My head is melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

I can't get this to load what so ever. keep getting a blue screen that simply says, something happened.

That's from downloading the software creation tool from the windows site.

my updates to windows 10 just keep saying failed.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jesus i was going to download but between existing updates etc I'm looking at a 5GB download. ..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Have it running the past day now. No problems to date.

Upgrading from Win 7 was a PITA though. First failure was on Wednesday morning when the automatic update failed (about 9:30am). Tried all the workarounds, and nothing was working.

Only thing that worked in the end was running the Media Creation Tool from a USB drive (but not downloading and running it on the laptop for some reason). Upgrade itself (not including download time) took about three hours - a bit longer than the 1hr or so I was expecting.

Between all the downloads, restarts, other Windows updates finished at midnight. At least I only had one machine to upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Went ahead with this method, Installed okay :)

Im quite impressed, very quick and I only did an upgrade (kept all my files)

Thanks very much,it installed a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Set it up on 4 different machines. No problems with the setup at all. I was using Windows 10 Enterprise.

They seem to have made some pretty big change in this release compared to even the last few builds. I've been having problems with certain websites in Edge and in Internet Explorer. Buttons on sites that won't do anything. One of my application tools also stopped working. I would suspect this is due to the fact they changed something in the OS at the last minute so the vendor didn't have a chance to adjust for it before release...which is bad mojo by Microsoft.

I find myself using the search for everything...the list start menu is useless. I wish they kept the start menu that was in the very first build but I guess with no OS release in the future, they can tweak this as they go.

Overall though, I'm very impressed. I like it a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Upgraded last night. Quick an painless. Didn't take very long.

I went from Windows 7 to 10 so I'm still getting use to stuff but what I have seen so far is impressive.

They still haven't got the start menu right imo, not even close. The full screen one is a disaster. Why they changed from horizontal to vertical scrolling is beyond me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I can't get this to load what so ever. keep getting a blue screen that simply says, something happened.

That's from downloading the software creation tool from the windows site.

my updates to windows 10 just keep saying failed.

any ideas?

Have you tried the locale fix? that worked for me.

Finally installed late last night.

Some niggles..
    • Every time I reboot, windows fails to detect my Wifi dongle - have to remove and reinsert for it to work
    • Once I logged on to the store, Windows changed my PC logon to use my Windows Store account as the userid/passsword - an account I rarely use

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FGR wrote: »
    The one thing that bugs me is the task bar being too small. If I up the zoom size of everything on the 'customize your display' screen to 125% the taskbar is bang on but all text becomes blurry.
    That's the same on my laptop, the taskbar is too small, but on 125% it's fine. Everything else is just too big then, not fuzzy or blurred though.

Another thing that bugs me is the width of the scroll bars. They might just be OK using a mouse, but using a track pad they're far too narrow. I've found a reference to some registry settings that can increase this though, along with another handy one to return the colour to the title bars instead of white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Are people finding that their game libraries are compatible enough with Windows 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd do a more general google. How many of your devices are out there? Several million quite likely. Which means there are likely thousands of geeks like yourself out there desperate to get W10 on their device and suffering the same problem. Surely a few of them have found the solution and shared it online somewhere at this stage? :)

You'd be surprised how little information I can find on this tablet...

Left the tablet to do a full system reset this morning. And I'll take a look this evening. Even grabbing drivers from the Intel site proved difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Use mediacreationtool to create a bootable usb of the appropriate version of W10. Install from that. Make absolutely sure you remove the usb when it is about to restart for the first time.

If that keeps failing, backup all your stuff. Wipe your system and do a fresh install of whatever OS you had (W7 / W8 / W8.1), activate it and then upgrade to W10

I've tried the media creation tool, same results no matter how I try install. It has to be an issue with the ssd

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi
    A question for people who have updated using the bootable disk, did you pick the upgrade version or clean install?

• Advertisement

Hi
    A question for people who have updated using the bootable disk, did you pick the upgrade version or clean install?
    The general consensus is that you have to do an upgrade at least once in order for the licence to be applied. If you do a clean install right away, it probably won't activate.

Advertisement